Author Topic: A Note on the Spam.  (Read 28529 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: November 25, 2008, 03:11:06 AM
Hey folks,

You've all probably noticed the spam that's hit the forums recently. We're taking it down as quickly as possible, but if you see something up that shouldn't be please hit the report link instead of replying to the topic — it sends out an email to the moderators and we'll get it gone a lot faster. We've been killing the threads instead of killing the text in the post because some of the spam accounts include links in the signatures that aren't editable by the moderators, so any replies you post will end up being taken out as collateral damage.

Thanks,
—Heradel (Bill)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 03:17:21 AM by Bdoomed »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 03:17:07 AM
and only hit the "report to moderator" button ONCE!
Sometimes I get 3 of the same reports all at once, but I don't know if its a messup or if it really is the reporter pressing it 3 times...
:P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:31:34 AM
Sorry ... I just happened to enjoy posting
DB ALERT!
to the last one I saw.  Obviously somebody else caught and deleted it.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:43:10 AM
Let me just be clear, I'm not indicting anyone (I took care of that one StePH, and also one tonight that Thaur replied to with a plea for people not to click on the links). It's an annoyance that you guys can't really do anything about except reply or hit the report button. Now, there are times when none of the moderators will be awake — though I and Bdoomed are college students and usually up late on the East Coast, and Russell apparently keeps pretty normal waking hours for someone with kids in Berlin (as opposed to me) so for the most part someone's awake and will have an email program that'll ding them when you report a post (and there are other moderators like Alasdair in GB or Rachel in CA, but we three do the brunt of moderation).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:44:48 AM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Zathras

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:34:21 PM
I think there is an error with the report button.  I always only click once, but get an error that says I've posted within the last 5 seconds.

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:50:16 PM
My understanding is that replying to spambots will draw their attention: it's like naming Hastur... oh shi-

Anyway, the thing to do, therefore, is to report spam, but NOT reply to it.

Zathras

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 10:38:11 PM
Oh great and powerful N-sh, hast thou forsaken us?  What transgressions have we done upon this world that You graciously provide?  Why dost thou enemies assault us?  Yea, verily your Angels smite the smut peddlers and drug pushers before most of your flock can be exposed to their vile ways.  Yet our enemies redouble their efforts.  What sacrifice dost thou require of us?  Shall we burn incense and peppermint upon Your altar?  Is this a test of our faith?  Please, Mighty One, tell us of our follies so that we can redeem ourselves in Your sight.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:30:37 AM
Oh great and powerful N-sh, hast thou forsaken us?  What transgressions have we done upon this world that You graciously provide?  Why dost thou enemies assault us?  Yea, verily your Angels smite the smut peddlers and drug pushers before most of your flock can be exposed to their vile ways.  Yet our enemies redouble their efforts.  What sacrifice dost thou require of us?  Shall we burn incense and peppermint upon Your altar?  Is this a test of our faith?  Please, Mighty One, tell us of our follies so that we can redeem ourselves in Your sight.
Why do you doubt Him, Zathras?
What void in your faith leads you to believe that this is not part of N-sh's plan?
You think they who pamphlet our forums are enemies of Him. Could they not be friends of His sent to test the faith of His flock?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Zathras

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 04:05:06 PM
Forgive me, I am but a poor Nuub.  I would ask for a sign, such as a burning bush, but the ones that assault us promise that.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 05:11:34 AM
and i dont think it would make such a great story for a man's bush to be on fire.
not hot at all.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:31:56 PM by Bdoomed »

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:31:06 AM
I imagine it would be quite hot, actually.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 09:46:21 PM
I think this was addressed somewhere but I can't remember, Im sorry..

every single time I've gone to report a spam thread, after hitting "send" (or whatever) after typing my comment it ALWAYS says, "page is unavailable try again later."

Is it actually going through anyway? or does the page just hate me for some reason

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:04:22 PM
mostly not going through i assume, seeing as how i dont get many reports, but some that DO send i get like 5-8 copies of the same report.

i think its just better to not report spam threads.  leave reporting threads to reporting offensive comments or something like that.  We see spam threads and delete them as we see them, so there is no need to report them.  I always check every new thread so i'll see any spam threads left unnoticed, so dont worry :)

FamilyGuy

• Matross
Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 01:10:32 AM
I had the same problem as Talia did regarding the "page unavailable" message.  I will stop reporting spam.

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 05:13:18 PM
but remember, dont hesitate to report a comment you feel is overtly offensive/ etc.!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 09:34:53 PM
Doesn't seem like there's much of a problem with that here. Everyone's pretty civil except me, I'm a big fat jerk.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 12:15:15 AM
every once in a while we get some nasty comments.

Russell Nash

Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 08:43:05 AM
But then I promise to be good and we're back to normal.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 06:15:19 AM
Just a quick note, there's some active work on the spam issue, so while it probably won't disappear it will hopefully be diminished. If something goes wonky for you, don't hesitate to email me or the other moderators.

Russell Nash

Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 08:52:48 AM
The observant among you may notice that Ben, bdoomed, Heradel, and I have all moved up to Autarch status.  This is all part of the spam annihilation effort. 

Steps have been taken and more will be taken to stop new bots from signing up.  We are also going to start a spamming death squad.  Our plan is to remove all of them from the membership list.  This, of course, will take a while.  We don't want to get any real people by accident. 

We probably will get a couple of real people by accident.  We're sorry.  If that happens to you, sign back up.  Then come here and bitch at us about it.  We'll apologize and give you a shiny present.  Not really, but we will apologize. 

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 04:52:02 PM
I am NOT a robot :)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 05:02:38 PM
Methinks thou dost protest too much...

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 05:33:36 PM
You're just envious because I'm not a machine.

This machine can only swallow money

Russell Nash

Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 05:50:42 PM

You're already scheduled for accidental termination.

Zathras

Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 05:58:47 PM

You're already scheduled for accidental termination.

Hence my reluctance to hijack this thread. 

Besides the bots, are you guys working on the other forum issues?