Author Topic: PC Miniature 005: Directions  (Read 24879 times)

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 09:30:52 PM
This fell a bit flat for me.  From the title and the opening paragraph I formed an idea of where the story was going to go, and when it moved too slowly, insufficiently weirdly and without any conflict, I felt quite disappointed.

It's interesting that more reactions to this story appear to have been "I could write something exciting in a similar style" than "This story nails the Fantasy SatNav concept so well that there's no point in competing against it" -- it gives me the impression that more people were thrilled by the concept than were awed by the execution.

I liked some of the little touches that gave the story its atmosphere, though, and the reading was sonorous.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 05:24:59 PM
Today's xkcd is the PP version of this story :)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 10:01:40 PM
Today's xkcd is the PP version of this story :)

I immediately thought the same thing when I read the comic...

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 05:52:04 PM
I enjoyed the scene descriptions here but, to use Ragtime's words:  "I like my story to have a story in it".  If I didn't expect it to be a story I could enjoy it, but otherwise the complete lack of characters, motivation, and explanation made it very un-story. 

Does it say something about me that I was more creeped out by the road paved with fingernails than the cairn of skulls?