Author Topic: Music Thread  (Read 26125 times)

Zathras

Reply #50 on: February 24, 2009, 01:54:16 AM
I refuse to use iTunes.  It makes it a real pain in the ass to subscribe to some 'casts, though.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #51 on: February 24, 2009, 03:20:55 AM
It's always worked fine for me, and now that they're eliminating the DRM from the store I don't really have any complaints.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #52 on: February 24, 2009, 03:34:11 AM
It's always worked fine for me, and now that they're eliminating the DRM from the store I don't really have any complaints.

Mostly I hate Apple's bullshit policy of pushing more Apple software on me that I don't need, don't want, and have to be vigilant against in order to avoid having it snuck onto my system.  Oh, and forcing their useless bullshit Quicktime on me as a requirement to run iTunes.

Apple does a couple of things right with iTunes, but all the negative crap so vexes me that I'm desperate for a working alternate solution that will support smart playlists and load content onto my iPod.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

izzardfan

Reply #53 on: February 24, 2009, 10:19:05 AM
Try some of the tips here

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #54 on: February 24, 2009, 02:17:58 PM
Try some of the tips here

Thanks for trying, but not what I'm looking for.

App Store Browses the iTunes Store Without iTunes
I don't care about the iTunes Store.  I have no use for it.

Trim the Bloat from iTunes 8 on Windows
I want to dump iTunes altogether.

TotalTunes Control Swallows the Best iTunes Add-Ons
Uses iTunes (see above) plus I don't run a Mac.

Again, I'm looking for something like Songbird but which 1) treats smart playlists as playlists when they display on the iPod, and 2) makes the files playable on the iPod.  Songbird has fallen down on both of these when I tried it, so I'm still stuck with Apple's crapware.

Russell Nash

Reply #55 on: February 24, 2009, 03:32:16 PM
I have no problem with iTunes.  Unlike every piece of software I've ever seen from Microsoft, it works.

Zathras

Reply #56 on: February 24, 2009, 04:14:22 PM
I agree with stEPH, I don't want all the additional software, and I don't like the way iTunes tries to hijack my files.  I don't have an iPod, I have a cheap, $20 mp3 player. 

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #57 on: February 24, 2009, 05:00:07 PM
I got an 80GB iPod as a gift as I'm such a music nut, so I don't have much of a choice.

Russell Nash

Reply #58 on: February 24, 2009, 07:16:12 PM
I'm going to try and bring this back to topic. 

My son has started requesting songs on his own playlist.  If he hears something he really likes, he tells me to put it on his list.  Here is what we have so far:

• The Beatles
    • Yellow Submarine
    • When I'm Sixty-Four
  • Billy Joel
    • Angry Young Man (live)
    • Leningrad
    • I've Loved These Days
  • Blood, Sweat & Tears
    • You've Made Me So Very Happy
    • Spinning Wheel
  • Chicago
    • Fancy Colours
  • The Coasters
    • The Lion Sleeps Tonight
  • The Cranberries
    • In The Ghetto
  • Dave Brubeck Quartet
    • Take Five
  • Ella Fitzgerald
    • Mack The Knife
  • Elton John
    • Grey Seal
  • The Everly Brothers
    • Wake Up Little Suzie
  • Jewel
    • Sometimes It Be That Way [live]
  • Los Lobos
    • La Bamba (Richie Valens cover)
  • Sasha Dobson
    • Without You
  • Tom Brosseau
    • Fork in the Road

Zathras

Reply #59 on: February 24, 2009, 07:20:48 PM
Wow.  Leningrad.  You should let him hear more of Storm Front, then.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #60 on: February 24, 2009, 07:27:37 PM
(a noble effort to un-de-rail the thread, n-sh)

he's got a pretty eclectic taste. has he heard the rest of Revolver or just Yeller Submarine? (because that's an amazing album)

I've been trying to get friends and family into Radiohead and The Smiths, but it's not working well. I've made a killer introductory playlist to the both, though, worth trying out if you're new to either.

I tried to limit it at 16 tracks:

1. Planet Telex
2. The Bends
3. This Charming Man
4. Handsome Devil
5. Ask
6. Panic
7. Myxomatosis
8. Airbag
9. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
10. Karma Police
11. There is A Light That Never Goes Out
12. How To Disappear Completely
13. Let Down
14. Bigmouth Strikes Again
15. Wolf At The Door
16. Pyramid Song

you see this is not the best of playlist, which would look A LOT different, but merely the most accesible songs.
For me, trying to list my favourite Radiohead songs is just impossible as I love so much of what they've done, and it's fast becoming the same for The Smiths. So instead I just make combinations that work well together. I made a best of Radiohead playlist that ran to 200 tracks once, which is pretty amazing. I think it's wonderful to be so in love with one band, but that's not to say I wouldn't enjoy expanding the music I listen to- otherwise I do tend to end up missing out on a lot of great music. Neil Young I didn't pick up on until I actively forced myself to LOOK FOR OTHER MUSIC :P

Russell Nash

Reply #61 on: February 24, 2009, 10:35:38 PM
I don't play things for him.  When I'm not listening to podcasts, I turn on music.  I still use CDs, so the full albums are in there.  It's just a question of what comes up on shuffle. 

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #62 on: February 25, 2009, 05:19:13 PM
I have to say I'm guilty of not using CDs as much as I should do. I tend to only listen to my favourite albums on CD, and then not in the right order. Which is something I should do more often.

Russell Nash

Reply #63 on: February 25, 2009, 06:39:13 PM
I raided Ebay to get a pair of Sony Juke Box CD changers.  One holds 300 discs and the other holds 200.  I can put both machines on shuffle.  The 200 player slaves to the 300.  They then alternate songs.  While one is playing, the other switched discs and picks the next track.  It's like putting my music list in iTunes on shuffle, but with better sound.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #64 on: February 25, 2009, 07:06:38 PM
I refuse to narrow my choices down!  I don’t think it’s physically possible.  I like so much varied music from so many different genres.  Currently? I’m deeply in love with Nickel Creek- I have almost everything from them.  However, I go through these cycles of liking one artist- or just one or two songs from another artist.   Stuff I listen to varies on my mood- what I’m doing, what I’m writing what I’m studying!  All time spans, all types of music, anything that catches my frenzied brief attention is up for grabs.  My music library on I tunes is currently a mix of World music (IZ, Flogging Mollys, Tartanic, etc) "pop", Rock, even a little rap/hip hop.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #65 on: February 25, 2009, 07:30:46 PM
Oooooooo. Nickel Creek. Good stuff.

I'm probably the only U2 nut on the forums, but I thought I'd point out here that they are streaming their new album from their myspace page, even though the album comes out two weeks from now.

I've listened to it once. I dig it. But they'd have to really drop the ball to leave me unhappy.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #66 on: February 26, 2009, 12:56:17 AM
  • The Coasters

The Coasters?  I thought that song was by The Tokens.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:57:30 PM by stePH »

Russell Nash

Reply #67 on: February 26, 2009, 12:27:30 PM
  • The Coasters
The Coasters?  I thought that song was by The Tokens. [/list]

Whoops, good call.  that is one I don't have on CD.  I got it without a group name and had to fill it in myself.  I don't remember where I got the idea it was the coasters.

Zathras

Reply #68 on: March 03, 2009, 01:19:34 PM
A gift for all the moderators for all their hard work, performed by Hayes Carl.

Zathras

Reply #69 on: March 03, 2009, 01:46:37 PM
Some artists to check out, for those looking to broaden their music experience.  I'm just going to briefly discuss or give a song of their that I like.

Beer Bottle Junkies, ok, they are friends of mine, but they are pretty good, just search for them on myspace.

Robert Earl Keen.  If you don't know who he is, you've still probably heard some of his stuff.  I don't know how I managed it, but I missed both Alice's Restaurant wiki, by Arlo Guthrie and Merry Christmas from the Family link in 2008.  I played Merry Christmas from the Family in January for Tinkerbell.  Check out The Road Goes on Forever here.

Joe Ely.  He has covered a lot of Robert Earl Keen's stuff and performed a lot of them with REK.  He has a similar sound.

Johnny Horton.  Sink the Bismarck link is one of my favorites, but I like almost everything he did.

Joe Walsh.  Life's Been Good link.  Anything Joe Walsh did rawks.  He was in Drew Carey's band.

Violent Femmes.  While Blister in the Sun link is probably their most famous song, give Kiss Off link a listen and for something creepy check out Country Death Song link.

Collective Soul.  Disciplined Breakdown wiki his my favorite album of all time, listen to the whole thing.  It is my zone out album and the album I listen to when sorting out my emotions.  The World I Know here is a great song, too.

Queen.  You can't go wrong with Queen.  My favorite?  Bicycle Race here.

Peter, Paul and Mary.  Go give Puff, the Magic Dragon here another listen.  It is one of the saddest songs ever.  It is NOT about marijuana

John Conlee.  I love his style.  It's probably too country for most, but I Don't Remember Loving You here is a really good song that should be heard at least once. 

I'm going to come back to this post and add links later.

::edit::  Added links, didn't verify a lot of them, so if they're crappy, let me know and I'll pt a better one in.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:08:19 PM by Zathras »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #70 on: March 03, 2009, 05:14:49 PM
A gift for all the moderators for all their hard work, performed by Hayes Carl.
i love gifts!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #71 on: March 03, 2009, 05:18:10 PM
I'm going through a Smiths Phase, for those that care. I've also made a compilation album I'm pretty addicted to. I spent three hours thinking over the tracklist, so it's... good.

Russell Nash

Reply #72 on: March 03, 2009, 06:13:51 PM
Over the weekend my boy added only one song to his playlist:

Hit The Road Jack by Ray Charles.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #73 on: March 03, 2009, 06:21:57 PM
Collective Soul.  Disciplined Breakdown wiki his my favorite album of all time, listen to the whole thing.  It is my zone out album and the album I listen to when sorting out my emotions.  The World I Know here is a great song, too.

You interest me greatly, sir. I believe that's the one Collective Soul album I do not own. I'm a big fan of their accoustic one, personally.

Zathras

Reply #74 on: March 03, 2009, 06:27:36 PM

You interest me greatly, sir. I believe that's the one Collective Soul album I do not own. I'm a big fan of their accoustic one, personally.

If you like their acoustic album and The World I know, you will probably enjoy Disciplined Breakdown.  There weren't many of the songs off of it played on the radio, that I am aware of.  I must have bought 3 copies of the cassette and 2 copies of the CD.  In the truck, cassettes are better than CDs, as there is too much vibration.  Now that I have an mp3 player, things are better, but I've worn out the cassettes.

Let me know if you hear it and what you think.  I would listen to it a time or two before reading the lyrics.  It's amusing to see what you thought were the words...