Author Topic: Self-publishing? Gift for Dad's writing.  (Read 2646 times)

godzilla8nj

• Extern
on: December 25, 2008, 05:34:25 PM
My father is a Vietnam vet who for years rarely talked about his experiences there. A few years back he put pen to paper and wrote a number of short stories about it, then abruptly stopped. They are funny, insightful and bittersweet and I would like to encourage him to write more.

I would like to know from anyone with firsthand knowledge how I might get a few copies of a short anthology of his work bound and if there are any writer's websites I could upload his work to in order to get him a small audience of other writers and readers which might prod him to write further.

I have little knowledge of the publishing industry and am only vaguely aware that things like this exist. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 04:47:25 AM
I'm sure there are others in a better position to advise you, but here goes anyway!

Short run printing and binding can be done at your local copy shop. If you want something a little more professional, try lulu.com. I haven't used them yet, but their product looks good, quick and inexpensive. Has anyone here used them?

The crit group on this forum might be the thing if he's looking for others to share his work with. I've found it very useful for the two or three things I've submitted. I guess most major cities would have writers groups that do a similar thing, but face to face. Where does he live?

godzilla8nj

• Extern
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 02:23:22 PM
Lulu is exactly what I was looking for in a self-publisher, thanks.

My folks recently retired and are RVing around the US. They're in CA currently but not permanently. For that reason I think an online option may be best. I think I'd stumbled across a site a while back that presented itself as a workspace for authors that optionally allowed them to let others view their works in progress. Psychologically I think that'll be an easier sell for my dad than posting it and directly inviting critique. But I can't seem to find the site now. Does anyone know of it or a similar website?

Thank you very much for your suggestions CB.