Author Topic: so much for a week off work  (Read 2517 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
on: March 09, 2009, 11:21:44 AM
My one-week furlough from work is this week. I had planned to do a few things, including learn PHP and Joomla and watch the rest of Season 4 of Highlander, and also catch up on Battlestar.

Yesterday afternoon, we turned on the TV and it started powercycling every 15 seconds. Unplugging and plugging back in did nothing.

Yesterday night, we plugged in my external HD to watch a couple of episodes of Eleventh Hour. It wouldn't boot.

Today I'm going to call Magnavox and take the HD to the repair shop, but it was still really disheartening. If neither can be fixed -- especially the hard drive, which has 100 gigs of movies downloaded from my camcorder on it (mostly of my kid) -- I'm going to be very, very pissed off.

At least MicroCenter has good deals on TB drives. $105, I think.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 03:19:22 PM

i think it sums that up pretty well :P

my harddrive wont boot either, im hoping its the enclosure i bought that fried and not the actual harddrive...
80 gigs of downloaded movies... would be a shame to see it all go.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:21:57 PM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 03:34:21 PM
Have you tried the freezer method to see if the HD can work (wrap external hard drive in clingwrap and then put it in a sealed ziplock, put in freezer overnight, and see if it works right out of the freezer by copying everything onto a new drive)? Is the enclosure powering up at all, any signs of life? Is the HD clicking?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:01:46 PM
well when i turn on the switch it tries to power up then makes a click and stops, then tries again and again until i turn it off

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:15:21 PM
well when i turn on the switch it tries to power up then makes a click and stops, then tries again and again until i turn it off

Mechanical issue then, the freezing might work, but don't keep doing it because you could be damaging the magnetic media.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:40:28 AM
My problem is the same as Bdoomed's. I tried the freezer trick. Now the drive is at MicroCenter, waiting to be looked at. I asked them to fix it, and if they couldn't, they'll call me and I'll tell them to pick the least expensive 1TB drive, transfer the data to it, and I'll just buy the drive.

Magnavox will replace my TV for free since it's under warranty, but it'll be 5-14 days before they ship a new one out. At least they pay for return postage. Meanwhile, Hulu is my friend -- so far I've watched one Chuck, one Family Guy and two American Dads. Tonight: House.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42