Author Topic: Is it too early to make a complaint thread  (Read 66528 times)

MacBean

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: January 24, 2009, 05:15:26 AM
Thanks, Heradel. Now I can actually enjoy my backup podcasts instead of worrying.

~Bean

slothflyer

• Extern
Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 04:00:18 AM
here's my complaint.

People should call listening to a podcast, even if it's a short story, novel or straight up audiobook, READING.

It's not reading, it's freaking listening.

sorry.  pet peeve.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 08:03:25 AM
here's my complaint.

People should call listening to a podcast, even if it's a short story, novel or straight up audiobook, READING.

sorry.  pet peeve.

Bit of a logical disconnect somewhere in there.

I'm not sure if I agree or not (the dictionary is another matter, it rigidly defines reading as having to do with printed text/matter). I think it depends on the operative metaphor. If you're hearing a story and it's like consuming the performance of a storyteller around a campfire back in ye olde tiemese, then it's listening. But if you're able to hear the story and comprehend fully the structures beneath the writing and grasp the poetry of the writing rather than the poetry of the performance then it's reading.

The former is a more passive process, the latter is necessarily active process. I can (digitally) edit photos or develop film while listening to a story and still keep the internal count of passing time going fine, I can't do that if I'm actively reading something.

Now, with a really good performance and a really good story one gets drawn into the story and I think that's a rare occasion that merges the two experiences. Thinking back on the EA podverse, the only time it has really happened for me was with Nightfall (EP#100). That one ended and I found myself at 145th Street, which is quite a bit further uptown than I'd intended to go.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 11:58:33 AM
I personally enjoy interacting with my material. I find myself so caught up in printed material I forget that I'm reading it off the printed page and falling into the story. And if the audio format is good enough- I find myself doing the same to audio.  If I could somehow manage to turn on this escaping into the "text" at will- it would make studying for exams MUCH easier.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

izzardfan

Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 05:26:33 PM
here's my complaint.

sorry.  pet peeve.

I think slothflyer intended "People should NOT call listening..."  Then it makes sense.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 07:56:02 PM
here's my complaint.

sorry.  pet peeve.

Heh. When I read that last night I just thought I was too tired. Guess not :)

godzilla8nj

• Extern
Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 01:55:04 PM
This is actually the first time I've been concerned about the future of EP. I'm all for Steve shouldering less of the burden (what he's done until now has been super-human), but I have always thought of EP as the natural evolution of a professional anthology. The quality of selections and their production value pointed to it. That belief has always assumed Steve would at some point have to delegate responsibilities and back away from one-a-week with an occasional repeat or break.

Now I want my Escape Pod back. I want Steve's insightful lead-ins. I'll even bear with the occasional "Geek Dad intro :) I'll volunteer myself to lighten the load if he needs help. That's because I, like all you other forum writers, are hard-core EPodders. I fear how many casual listeners are unsubscribing because of this second, unannounced interruption.

I am aware of how hard Steve has worked, and for how long, to build up a following this large. This post is a plea to not risk losing something really special. When Steve announced the first break I made a request that we show support through donations. This time I think everyone willing to help solidify EP's role as a professional anthology for the 21st century needs to let Steve know he has resources available to him if he wishes.

On a personal note: Steve, you should know that what you are doing is inspirational. It prompted me to learn about the LibriVox project and contribute, and to volunteer time at my local library editing some of their program audio into podcast form. And I'm one of how many thousand listeners?

Anyway, that's my two cents. Anyone else?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:58:14 PM by godzilla8nj »

izzardfan

Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 02:45:48 PM
Quote from: Steve's Twitter as of last night
Yes, Escape Pod is still alive. Yes, it's coming. I'd have had it up tonight, but I destroyed my voice screaming about something. Tomorrow.

OsamaBinLondon

• Palmer
Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 03:32:03 PM
Bah!  At the very least there should be some notification on the home page to let people know whats going on.  The uncertainty is what is most annoying. 

That is just common sense and common courtesy.   There is NO excuse for poor manners!

eytanz

Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 03:36:52 PM
I am finding it surprising that Steve is choosing to communicate via twitter - a service that does not include most of his subscribers - rather than directly with us on the forums and/or the escape pod site.

godzilla8nj

• Extern
Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 03:55:26 PM
I am finding it surprising that Steve is choosing to communicate via twitter - a service that does not include most of his subscribers - rather than directly with us on the forums and/or the escape pod site.

That's exactly what I meant. Of all subscribers, what percentage actually use the forums? What even smaller percentage subscribe to his Twitter (I know that I wasn't aware of it until it was mentioned earlier in this thread)? How many people does that leave frustrated or thinking EP is gone for good?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:57:16 PM by godzilla8nj »

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 05:01:07 PM
Some one much, much cleverer than me once said life is what happens when you're making other plans.

Let me tell you what I don't know; any more than you.  Pseudopod operates autonomously, by and large so we've not been in regular contact with Steve not because he's not been around but because we don't need to.

Let me tell you what I do know: That producing a tweet takes around forty seconds to a minute, that modifying the website takes roughly ten to fifteen minutes and a podcast, from initial recording to post production takes a full working day at the least.  This is a time issue and whilst I agree Twitter is far from a universal means of communication, it may be the only one that Steve has had time for.

It's not perfect and I'm not running down anyone's complaints believe me but the issue of time has to be taken into account here.

phoomp

• Extern
Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 03:54:11 AM
Steve, take your time.  Do what you need to do.  If you need some help, put the word out; I'm certain many of us would be more than willing to help shoulder some of the load.

MacBean

• Palmer
Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 06:20:43 AM

Like Alasdair said, time needs to be taken into consideration. And those who DO use Twitter are still keeping those who don't up to date. Shit happens. Let Steve get life in order if he needs to. You're PROBABLY not going to die if you have to wait a couple days or even a couple weeks for a new EP.

~Bean

Zathras

Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 12:41:28 PM
I haven't been affected too much by the delay.  I've been listening to old EPs.

Last night, it suddenly felt creepy.  Hearing Steve's intros in a short period of time seems intrusive.  He's obviously got stuff going on right now, and I am more than willing to give him all the time he needs.  I am, admittedly, an over the top personality.  I am not generally very empathetic.  I have very little shame or modesty.  I say that because now I'm feeling weird about hearing Steve talk about his personal life while he is having issues.

Just sayin'.

izzardfan

Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 04:14:35 AM
I didn't miss the episodes so much as the forum being down.  I've been waiting two days to post this.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 12:32:45 PM
I didn't miss the episodes so much as the forum being down. 

I miss not knowing what is going on. Steve isn't telling anyone, like Rachael or Alasdair, who can tell us.

I wonder if escapepod is over.

jdesq

• Extern
Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 04:34:27 PM
I realize life does have it's problems- we all do- but to not say anything is not right. What is up and can we help?  Say the word, we are here for you.

Nfidel

• Extern
Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 05:31:34 PM
  Maybe I'm an anachronism, but I'm usually thankful for free stuff. While I may become disappointed when regular deliveries of free stuff don't arrive, I do acknowledge that I always get more than I've paid for. EscapePod was the first fiction podcast I became addicted to and its content has benefited me greatly. I can't say I've greatly reciprocated, as I've only donated around ten bucks to Escape Artists these years I've been listening. 

Alasdair's explanation regarding temporal restraints upon mere Earthlings such as Steve Ely seems plausible. That said, I  eagerly yet patiently await the next episode of EP or any news regarding such.

wyrder42

• Extern
Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 06:34:27 AM
This is actually the first time I've been concerned about the future of EP. I'm all for Steve shouldering less of the burden (what he's done until now has been super-human), but I have always thought of EP as the natural evolution of a professional anthology. The quality of selections and their production value pointed to it. That belief has always assumed Steve would at some point have to delegate responsibilities and back away from one-a-week with an occasional repeat or break.

Now I want my Escape Pod back. I want Steve's insightful lead-ins. I'll even bear with the occasional "Geek Dad intro :) I'll volunteer myself to lighten the load if he needs help. That's because I, like all you other forum writers, are hard-core EPodders. I fear how many casual listeners are unsubscribing because of this second, unannounced interruption.

I am aware of how hard Steve has worked, and for how long, to build up a following this large. This post is a plea to not risk losing something really special. When Steve announced the first break I made a request that we show support through donations. This time I think everyone willing to help solidify EP's role as a professional anthology for the 21st century needs to let Steve know he has resources available to him if he wishes.

On a personal note: Steve, you should know that what you are doing is inspirational. It prompted me to learn about the LibriVox project and contribute, and to volunteer time at my local library editing some of their program audio into podcast form. And I'm one of how many thousand listeners?

Anyway, that's my two cents. Anyone else?

I basically just have a big "mee too" here.

I almost never post in forums because I have to first create an account (annoying), and then, often, I have to forget my password and have it reset once or twice before I really get into the swing of things. (also an annoying barrier)  Once I defeat those two barriers, I occasionally wind up spending all my time writing forum posts, which cuts into all the time I'm supposed to be spending doing whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing.

I have crossed those barriers and braved the too-much-time spent danger tonight because I agree with everything you said, godzilla8nj.

To those that tell me there are other good podcasts I could be using to get my fix, well thanks.  But I don't want any other podcast right now, I want Escape Pod!  Escape Pod is too cool to be allowed to fail. 

Has Escape Pod failed?  No, not as such, not exactly yet.  But I have to say that having an irregular schedule so soon after the last one is not a good sign.

Steve, if you need help, there are loyal fans out here that are willing to help.  Escape Pod is precious because it reminded me why I loved sci-fi so much growing up.  We want it to come back to us, and some of us are afraid that it's slipping away.  We can't let that happen.
--
Furry cows moo and decompress.

--
Furry cows moo and decompress.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 06:45:04 AM
I'll refer you to here:

http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=2199.msg41133 (scroll down).

Makes me feel a bit more optimistic :)

milo

• Extern
Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 03:15:56 AM
I heartily agree with wyrder42 and godzilla8nj. I have become a fan of Tony C. Smith's Starship Sofa Aural Delights. Tony has a wide range of volunteer narrators, contributors, and even some help with the audio engineering and signal-to-noise cleanup. See his most recent editorial in episode 61 for more details. All of this is to say that there is a large Escape Pod community who dearly loves what this science fiction magazine has become. A team effort can only make it better, and it is clear that there is no lack of talented, passionate people willing to get involved. I myself plan to continue donating at the $5/month level and would consider more if that were needed.

Steve, please let us know what it would take to put a first class Escape Pod team together and take some of the burden off of you. We miss you and will be very glad when you can return.

Most Sincerely,

Milo

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 04:03:56 AM
If we get any kind of "It's not you it's me" voice thing I may well implode. I've had my heart broken in lots of ways- but never by a podcast.  I am more then willing to beg. And I'm cute when I beg. Seriously cute.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:59:17 AM by MacArthurBug »

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 04:37:05 AM

OK, I've now joined the "officially worried" camp -- worried about Steve, worried about Escape Pod, worried about Escape Artists.  What bothers me the most is that this is so out of character -- Steve has always been great about communicating what's going on to the audience, so the sudden silence is disturbing. 

I want to be clear that I'm not saying Steve "owes us an explanation;"  I'm saying that he's been good about providing one in the past, and it's the change that's making this seem like more than a routine technical/social/scheduling problem.

Like others, I'll be happy to help, though my skill level in the relevant areas hovers between low and non-existent and I'm too far away to baby-sit.   ::)  Though if upping the Pay Pal contribution makes a difference, I'm all over that -- just say the word.

OK, got that out of my system in the only place it might make a difference... 

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

missmeka

• Extern
Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 08:20:46 AM
I have been an EscapePod listener since October or so, when I was stuck in bed with severe depression.  I quickly ran through all the episodes, and picked and chose from PseudoPod and PodCastle.  I enjoy the stories and the quality of production.  It's also nice to get an intro from the editors.  I've noticed that Steve was a lot freer with his personal comments, often mentioning depression and his family.  I genuinely hope that he is okay.  If anyone here knows them personally, or lives nearby and has been able to get in touch with them please let us know.  I know what it's like to suffer from depression.  For six months I kept saying "I'll go and take care of it," or "I'll get that done tomorrow," while locking myself in my apartment in the bed.  I hope that it's not depression, but either way I'm worried about Steve and his family.

That being said, I think that the lack of communication about what is going on is extremely unprofessional.  EscapePod is run on Wordpress.  It takes a few seconds to post a quick note saying on hiatus for personal reasons.  It is unfortunate that I had to go searching for this form, to eventually find a post started some time ago, to find buried within it is a tweet from Steve.  It is unfortunate that there is no way for potential volunteers to assist with the production of something they value.  All of these things add up.

I get the feeling that Steve is the founder of EscapePod/Escape Artists, but I'm not sure.  If so, Steve, please open the process up to people you trust.  if you need to take a break, do so, but open it up to people who are asking to help.

Escape Artists is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, from my understanding.  If the board of directors is reading this, or if someone can forward it to the board, or even if Steve is the president, I hope that the board considers the current status of EscapePod and seriously consider Steve's role with the organization and the podcast.  If this were a business he would be gone and people who wanted/could do the work would be there.

If Steve and EscapePod want to continue I hope that they can as a BARE MINIMUM do the following.  My requests are:
1) Post an update to the main site in light of growing worry of listeners.  Say something.
2) Allow potential volunteers to contribute in some manner, be it selecting stories, finding readers, contacting authors, editing, doing the intros, etc.