Author Topic: Highlander: the Series  (Read 4509 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
on: January 27, 2009, 11:04:40 PM
Being on disability has its advantages. I've had a lot of time, between being knocked out by medicines and dealing with strep throat, to watch Highlander: the Series from the beginning. I don't think I'll be able to finish it before I go back to work, but I should be able to get into the middle of the third season at least.

May contain spoilers.

Thoughts:

* The "badass" clothes Richie wears? Not badass at all. A black fringe jacket? Srsly?

* Every woman on the show has worn mom jeans. Not terribly sexy.

* You've seen one Quickening, you've seen them all.

* I didn't realize Richie became immortal in Season 2. I thought that happened much later. I totally expected him to die in the Mako episode, but he got lucky. Hell of a first quickening.

* I find myself waiting for the opera singer immortal arc from seasons 3/4/5 (I think) -- it was one of my favorites back when the show was actually on TV.

* MacLeod is kind of annoying, when you get right down to it, because he's ALWAYS right and he's ALWAYS willing to help and he ALWAYS knows when someone is in the wrong. I realize that's dramatic TV writing in the early 90s, but it grates after a while.

More on this as it develops. Feel free to comment even on stuff I personally haven't seen yet; I'm not worried about spoilers.

I've seen all the movies (including the anime), but we can talk about those in a different thread if you want.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:16:57 PM
The episodes get considerably better after, say, 3/4 through the second season.

I can see how you could hide a sword in a jacket, but not if you take the jacket off, throw it over a chair, and then put it back on, and then go out, and BOOM there's a sword.

And... I can see how you could hide a short sword like a katana or even a fencing saber, but I've seen guys pull broadswords out of jackets.

Maybe immortals emit a SEP field around their swords?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:19:28 AM
This and Tour of Duty hold a very special place in my heart:)  I especially like the 'Methos is Evil!  No he isn't!  Actually he might be!' arc and the stuff with Roland Gift as the demented Crusader immortal.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:09:16 PM
This and Tour of Duty hold a very special place in my heart:)  I especially like the 'Methos is Evil!  No he isn't!  Actually he might be!' arc and the stuff with Roland Gift as the demented Crusader immortal.

My favorite arc is the Opera Singer, personally. Still haven't gotten there yet.

Now that I'm 30, Lisa Howard is a LOT prettier than she was (in my eyes) in the 90s. Maybe it's just me.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:11:15 PM
The third season so far has been the best of the three I've watched -- the consistent story arc that starts with Kalas (the opera singer) and moves to Duncan telling Anne what he is is very good.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:06:29 PM
Adrian Paul certainly eats a lot on camera. Not, like, huge meals, but half the time he's got nuts or grapes or something else to snack on. Given how many takes it sometimes takes to get a shot, that's a LOT of food.

At least it's normal food; Shatner ate that weird blue moss stuff in Star Trek 6 every time they reset, or so the director said in commentary.