Author Topic: When is Mr Eley from?  (Read 7702 times)

Praxis

on: February 06, 2009, 01:04:38 PM
From the good ol' land of GMT I realise that, when Messers Eley et al say 'today' they don't mean 'today' here.  So, an episode that is being loaded on his particular day will be much later on here, like late evening time, e.g.

And a late upload on a given 'day' could well be the day after over here.  :( 

Aaand a *really* late upload could be the start of the *next* day over here.  :((

Which leads to some confusion, doubt, uncertainty and repeated clicks on feed readers and browsers and such in case they is broke and have missed their latest feed.

Help us...um...Obi Wan Kenobi-Eley, you're our only hope.  (or anyone else who knows the timezone of Escape Pod HQ.)

Cheers

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 01:10:13 PM
He's already apologized about the lack of EP "today" and it'll be up *later*.

So it's pretty irrelevant. I'm aware that America is between 5-7 hours behind England... so maybe that's the guide. He'll probably upload while we sleep.

Praxis

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 01:15:10 PM
That wasn't what I was asking at all (starting a thread to 'have a go', I mean)

'part from anything, it's only Friday early afternoon here, so it's hardly late.  And given the last couple of weeks I'm not trying to rush anyone - this podcast is free/cheap for the rest of us after all.

But *swings heels*, I do still wonder from where this 'cast is coming.  Discounting Alaska and Hawaii, there's still a fair amount of time difference.....

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 01:17:03 PM
EA HQ is in Georgia not to far from Atlanta.  That is the East Coast of the US.  It is currently GMT-5 and during daylights savings time is GMT-4.  Daylight savings time in the US is close enough to that in most of Europe that it will only cause confusion a few weeks out of the year.

Praxis

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 01:19:50 PM
Daylight saving times as well?

You had to go there, did you?   :-\
Thanks Nash.

[edit: Oooh, Atlanta.  (should I have picked that up from the accent?  Does Steve *have* an 'atlanta' accent? dunno)  So not so far off GMT, then]

And, very glad to read that Steve is a) okay b) within reach of a computer and c) still podcasting  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:25:14 PM by Praxis »

Zathras

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 01:27:14 PM
I thought he was from the year 2783.

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 01:34:05 PM
Zathras,  A had a whole rack of that type of responses.  Instead I just went with informative.

Praxis

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 01:39:08 PM
Yes.  Thank you Zathras.

D'you want me to start posting without vowels again? 
Cos I will.

Zathras

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 02:00:18 PM
I was going to go with informative, but you already did that.  I couldn't help myself.  When I saw the subject, that was the type of question I expected.  I thought it was going to be along the lines of, "Steve's such an innovator..."

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 03:16:45 PM
[edit: Oooh, Atlanta.  (should I have picked that up from the accent?  Does Steve *have* an 'atlanta' accent? dunno)  So not so far off GMT, then]

He really doesn't have a Southern accent...Maybe cuz he's in the big city?  He sounds more mid-western to me.  But that's coming from a guy in Missouri...and people have told me that I have a Southern accent.  But they were from Wisconsin, so they don't count  :)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 04:48:36 PM

He really doesn't have a Southern accent...Maybe cuz he's in the big city?  He sounds more mid-western to me.  But that's coming from a guy in Missouri...and people have told me that I have a Southern accent.  But they were from Wisconsin, so they don't count  :)

My wife is from Atlanta but she doesn't have an accent at all. Her parents are from the upper midwest. My sister has a New York twang but is from Florida -- my parents are both from Long Island. I, on the other hand, don't have any accent except for what I osmose from people I talk to (it's kind of funny, actually). I think people's accents are more dependent upon their parents' upbringing than their own location-of-growing-up-itude.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 04:53:18 PM
I thought Steve didn't have a "when"... i thought he just "is" ... always and forever.

or am I confusing him with N_sh?

:O!!!! OR ARE THEY ONE AND THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 05:21:21 PM
Accents tend to survive better when it's a relatively small group of people with very low population drift. Pretty much any mid-to-big city will have a tendency towards unaccented English, though obviously some regional flavor seeps in.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

MacBean

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 08:55:05 PM
My sister has a New York twang but is from Florida -- my parents are both from Long Island.

haha! That's the first time I've ever heard the Lawn Guyland accent referred to as a twang... I've got one, too, and even in upstate NY I constantly get people stopping me when I'm speaking to say, "Wait, what? Say that again" because they think I sound weird/funny/cute.

~Bean

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 12:28:20 AM
I thought Steve didn't have a "when"... i thought he just "is" ... always and forever.

or am I confusing him with N_sh?

:O!!!! OR ARE THEY ONE AND THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!

Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together??

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 02:11:33 PM
This is a conspiracy.

Do not cry out or hit the alarm.

Russell Nash

Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 03:35:26 PM
::Whacks R_L with a baseball bat::

bdoomed, clean that up, will ya?

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 09:01:19 AM
Accents tend to survive better when it's a relatively small group of people with very low population drift. Pretty much any mid-to-big city will have a tendency towards unaccented English, though obviously some regional flavor seeps in.

What do you mean by unaccented English? I can guarantee if I heard someone speak with what you're calling an 'unaccent' I would think they spoke with an accent. Do you mean something like 'generic American' or even 'mid-Atlantic?'

Russell Nash

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 10:57:45 AM

What do you mean by unaccented English? I can guarantee if I heard someone speak with what you're calling an 'unaccent' I would think they spoke with an accent. Do you mean something like 'generic American' or even 'mid-Atlantic?'

May I propose the phrase generic-regional accent?  In other words a generic Australian or generic American.  I'd also like to say instead of size related, I think the accents are more flux based.  Areas, where the people stay consistent, retain an accent.  Whereas large cities with large numbers of people constantly coming and going tend to become more generic. 

As my examples I submit Manhattan and Brooklyn.  Manhattan goes very generic, but Brooklyn is very distinctive.  Youse guys knows that.