Author Topic: Has any one else seen this Sorcerer's Apprentice animation? (No, not by Disney)  (Read 4302 times)

Praxis

I saw it on TV about.....20 years ago.  When I was four *cough* years old.

It was the traditional story of the sorcerer's apprentice and was in very simple line (and some sort of watercolour type shading) drawn animation.  Probably a UK production - it had an English guy doing the narration, but other than that I have no info.

And, needless to say, googling for anything like this brings up the Mickey Mouse version and then tails off into pretty obscure links.

Oh, and the castle, in which the sorcerer lived, had this great big set of steps leading up to the front door, and there were two black stone cats standing on either side of the start of the steps.

And there was also a sort of sub-plot about a romance with the sorcerer's daughter (only not really a full-blown on as they are meant to be about 14, I think). 
Oooh, and ..... umm, I'm not sure I should post this as it is a bit of a spoiler...

******SPOILER *************
Towards the end, the sorcerer 'kills' the apprentice and the girl, but they are released by the ground as it was not their time to die.
Which is sweeter than it sounds, I realise.

********END SPOILER***********

anyways, if anyone knows of this, could you let me know, ta.

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Can't find anything definite but there's an animation from Rumania, called "Ucenicul Vrajitor" (The Sorcerers Apprentice) which could well have been dubbed into English it was made in '58 and directed by  Bob Calinescu that may fit the bill

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Praxis

Thanks for the suggestion, the animation I saw is definitely not full technicolour. 
Really it looked like each image is more of a pen and ink sketch on a white background, or drawn in pencil sort of thing.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
One issue of the Zenescope comic book series Grimm Fairy Tales retold "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", making it the origin story for the series' villain/antagonist.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising