Author Topic: Meta discussion from EP187  (Read 23650 times)

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #50 on: February 27, 2009, 05:02:00 PM
Post whatever comments you have about Steve's announcements from EP187.

I tell you what, whoever they get to guest host better not suck!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Now I'm trying to figure out if you threw this out there before or after you became guest host.

Anyway, thought you did a good job, man. Although that's not at all what I expected you to sound like ;D

I posted that just after I sent the two versions of this story's opening to Escape Pod :)

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 07:03:50 PM
Okay, so I'm a little bit confused. Jeremy Tolbert is Managing Editor of Escape Pod. And Ben Philips is...CEO of Escape Artists? Have I got it or am I missing something?

Whatever the case, Welcome aboard, Jeremiah!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 08:40:44 PM
That sounds like what's been said... Ben is in charge of the whole three podcast ship, as well as steering Psuedopod directly. 

And now Steve has handed the tiller of Escape Pod to Jeremy.  So presumably he'll be picking which stories run from now on.  I'm nervous about that, but more than willing to give him a good shot.  Actually it should be interesting to see how someone else's taste in stories shifts things around.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 09:39:28 PM
I'm unclear as to what Eley's new function is.  Will he still host EP?  If not, I'm really going to miss his style.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 10:10:37 PM
I think he's still host -- getting a managing editor will allow him to "just do the podcast." I'm also pretty sure he will have an influence on story selection, though I'm not sure how much influence he'll have. Final say? Or will EP be more of a combination of his tastes and the Flea King's (AKA Jeremiah Tolbert...I just feel weird calling him that all the time :))

Mostly, I think this is a very good thing.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #55 on: March 14, 2009, 02:08:46 PM
Basically yeah, at this company "CEO" (or whatever we're calling me) is just the manager and first point of contact for the accountant, production manager (who does contract handling, deadline reminders, etc.), PodDisc.com concerns, and IT needs of which there can potentially be many, all of which I wouldn't want to bother our new sys admin with (who is, by the way, hard at work on the server stability issues and will be slapping them into shape with authority and rigor, but does not like to be hurried -- which I respect).  It's a lot of answering email and calling people about trivial crap, and exchanging missives with the accountant that would make your eyes glaze over.  That's what happens when your one man company grows into a virile fiction-spewing beast while your back is turned.  It's a beautiful thing, but in no way trivial to manage at least as far as the time commitment involved.

Steve will still host a lot, if not nearly always, and I can't picture him becoming uninvolved with story selection.  One thing he and I have talked about is the fact that we don't have as much time as we wished to solicit stories like PodCastle does all the time, because open submissions (while we will never desert them because we're far too interested in discovering new talent) constitute a huge drain on your time as an editor.  It's better done with a little help than it is by one person...  who's also hosting.. and narrating all the time..  and producing..  and managing the company.  Did somebody mention "having a life"?!

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #56 on: March 14, 2009, 02:11:00 PM
Oh, and as Alllie mentions -- it is definitely a strong concern, as we grow, to involve staff who are vested in what we do and why we do it.