Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 850974 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1075 on: October 01, 2009, 05:11:47 AM
I am grudgingly reading the accursed Twilight saga. Not due to want- but due to increasing pressure from my peers. Stoopid peers. :P

I actually rather liked the books. I thought the Jacob Black character added a great deal to the series.

Things get a bit ridiculous halfway through book four, but otherwise pretty fun.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1076 on: October 01, 2009, 06:14:43 AM
I just picked up "The Stuff of Thought," by Steven Pinker.  I love linguistics, psychology, neurobiology, sociology, and various permutations thereof (neuropsychology, psycholinguistics, etc.)  Fascinating stuff so far.  Hopefully it will remain entertaining to the end.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #1077 on: October 01, 2009, 08:49:33 PM
I am grudgingly reading the accursed Twilight saga. Not due to want- but due to increasing pressure from my peers. Stoopid peers. :P

I actually rather liked the books. I thought the Jacob Black character added a great deal to the series.

Things get a bit ridiculous halfway through book four, but otherwise pretty fun.

It's not really that I didn't think the books would be readable. They're decent. I just don't understand the mass hysteria over them. My friend, my sister, my sister in law even my mother have been bashing at me physically with these books to make me read them. Saying they're soooo good. :P Don't get it. Did the writer sell her soul for a great run?

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1078 on: October 02, 2009, 09:05:39 AM
It's not really that I didn't think the books would be readable. They're decent. I just don't understand the mass hysteria over them. My friend, my sister, my sister in law even my mother have been bashing at me physically with these books to make me read them. Saying they're soooo good. :P Don't get it. Did the writer sell her soul for a great run?

"Readable" is generous, in my opinion - Drinking Game: Take a shot every time you see "gorgeous," "perfect," "eyes," or "marble" - but from what I've gathered reading others' opinions, the books apparently perfectly capture a particular facet of adolescence, and particularly (from what I have read) adolescent girls.  Specifically, the timeframe in which one swoons for one's distant True Love, perfected in imagination, who will surely one day sweep down from whatever the hell stupid teenage television show you're watching and carry you away to ultimate happiness forever and ever.

Me, all I see is a creepy stalker with self-control, self-esteem, and serious boundary issues, not to mention the bizarre reluctance to engage in an actual equal relationship with another full person and instead keeping the object of his affections as helpless and powerless as he can.  It skeeves me right the heck out, far too much to wade through any more of that labored prose.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1079 on: October 02, 2009, 01:51:22 PM

"Readable" is generous, in my opinion - Drinking Game: Take a shot every time you see "gorgeous," "perfect," "eyes," or "marble" - but from what I've gathered reading others' opinions, the books apparently perfectly capture a particular facet of adolescence, and particularly (from what I have read) adolescent girls.  Specifically, the timeframe in which one swoons for one's distant True Love, perfected in imagination, who will surely one day sweep down from whatever the hell stupid teenage television show you're watching and carry you away to ultimate happiness forever and ever.

That, and the romanticizing of vampires never seems to go out of style.

Finished Henderson's Ingathering and began a re-read of V For Vendetta a couple of days ago.  And listening to Meme.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1080 on: October 02, 2009, 02:52:09 PM
I've never had any inclination to read TWILIGHT because I'm 42 years old and have no desire to return to high school (same reason, in my 30's, I had no interest in BUFFY - sorry, BUFFY fans, no letters please!  And the rest of this comment does not apply to BUFFY in any way).

But the descriptions in this thread of TWILIGHT give me an uncomfortable feeling that someone, consciously or unconsciously, is training the next generation of teenage girls, unknowingly, for a future as submissive bottoms (with the token nod to empowered feistiness, for market reasons and just to add a little spice to the mix) before they even have any concept of the complications of sexuality.  That's probably too broad, and I'll never know because I could care less, but still, there's a creepiness there.  DeSade would be proud.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1081 on: October 02, 2009, 03:57:35 PM
Lets see....
what have I been reading?
“The Tell-Tale Heart”
“The YellowWallpaper”
“Old Woman Magoun”
“The Chrysanthemums”
“The Lottery”
"There Will Come Soft Rains”
“Everyday Use”
“Girl”
“The House on Mango Street”
“YellowWoman”
“The Jilting of Granny Weatherall”
“Barn Burning”
“A Good Man is Hard to Find”
“A Late Encounter with the Enemy”
“Rain in the Heart”
“A Rose for Emily”
“My Son the Murderer”
“Two Kinds”
“The Persistence of Desire”
"The Management of Grief”
"Heat"
"Sea Oak"
"Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned"
"Brief Interviews with Hideous Men"
"When Mr. Pirzada Came to Dine"
"The Girl in the Flammable Skirt"
"Letters to Wendy's"
"Scarliotti and The Sinkhole"
"The Life and Work of Alphonse Kauders"
"The Old Dictionary"

and more short stories to come.
I have 2 classes that revolve around reading short stories :P
as for novels?  Haven't really had time for much but I've managed to get through most of 2001: A Space Odyssey now, should be finished relatively soon, and then after that I'm going to try to read Ender's Game if I can find the time.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1082 on: October 02, 2009, 04:33:05 PM
Excellent, Bdoomed!!!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1083 on: October 02, 2009, 04:43:05 PM
A good man is hard to find

Ah, Flannery O'Connor. That story still hasn't left me. One day, I want to write a short story called A Good Vampire is Hard to Find, but it might not happen for a little while :)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #1084 on: October 02, 2009, 09:12:22 PM
But the descriptions in this thread of TWILIGHT give me an uncomfortable feeling that someone, consciously or unconsciously, is training the next generation of teenage girls, unknowingly, for a future as submissive bottoms (with the token nod to empowered feistiness, for market reasons and just to add a little spice to the mix) before they even have any concept of the complications of sexuality.  That's probably too broad, and I'll never know because I could care less, but still, there's a creepiness there.  DeSade would be proud.

Sade it all.

;)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1085 on: October 06, 2009, 01:19:41 PM
Finished THE BOOK OF PHILIP JOSE FARMER
Continuing on in THE DEDALUS BOOK OF SURREALISM: THE IDENTITY OF THINGS

Starting, as a bit of a treat, one of the (if not THE) very first books I ever read 30-odd years ago, THE OCTOBER COUNTRY by Ray Bradbury.  Can't beat Bradbury horror....

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #1086 on: October 10, 2009, 01:03:59 AM
Have just finished Childhood's End by Clark and Use of Weapons by Banks. I went into both with high expectations, and both delivered big.
That said, I found both to be very sad stories. I'm going to have read something a bit lighter next.
Or not. I'm working on Stephen King's most recent anthology, After Sunset, or something like that.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #1087 on: October 10, 2009, 10:33:34 PM
I Hope they Serve Beer in Hell - Tucker Max (it's repetitive and annoying, but occasionally very funny).
Idiot America - Charles Pierce (it's okay, a little less flame throwery than I like for social commentary).
The Complete Short Stories of Joseph Conrad Volume 1 (of 4 volumes) - Joseph Conrad. My current favorite writer.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #1088 on: October 11, 2009, 12:06:11 AM
I'm reading "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie, "Children of the Company" by Kage Baker and "Hero of Ages" by Brandon Sanderson.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #1089 on: October 11, 2009, 02:46:06 PM
Just finished a collection of Asimov's early short stories, all stuff he wrote while he was a teenager.  None of them are particularly brilliant, but none of them are horrid either (with the possible exception of "The Magnificent Possession") and it's fascinating to see how he got his start in fiction.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1090 on: October 11, 2009, 03:38:18 PM
Started Ender's Game the other day :)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #1091 on: October 11, 2009, 08:06:10 PM
Started Ender's Game the other day :)

At least you'll have read it by the time it's in the novel poll!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #1092 on: October 12, 2009, 04:32:25 PM
Wow, finally finished "I Am Legend" in audio (it takes so much longer to listen to audiobooks when you listen to 10 or so fiction podcasts :) ). I know I read this book back in college and thought it was pretty good, but holy crap it's AMAZING. The reading absolutely nailed it. So sparse and depressing. So terrifying and heartfelt. And the end is superb. I really can't recommend it enough to anyone who hasn't read it (or like me, has read it and can't really remember that much about it).

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #1093 on: October 14, 2009, 11:04:26 AM
I'm reading "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie, "Children of the Company" by Kage Baker and "Hero of Ages" by Brandon Sanderson.

I found "The Blade Itself" to be an outstanding read, along with the the next two in the trilogy.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #1094 on: October 14, 2009, 01:41:38 PM
Got Robert Sawyer's FlashForward from the library yesterday and read first chapter last night.  Unlike the TV series (I think I'm going to be saying that a lot as I read through the book), there's no mystery about the direct cause of the flashes-forward ... it's the firing of the Large Hardon Collider.

One thing that amuses me is that the book was published in 1999, but the opening chapter takes place in April 2009.  So it was written to be set in the near-future, but it's now set in the very recent past; almost present-day.  ;D

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #1095 on: October 16, 2009, 03:49:02 PM
So you finished FlashForward, right? Annnnnnnnnnnd?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #1096 on: October 17, 2009, 03:09:48 AM

Annnnnnnnnnnd, it's almost -- but not quite -- entirely unlike the television show.  I enjoyed it and am interested in looking for more by Sawyer.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1097 on: October 20, 2009, 01:01:15 AM
Finished a nostalgic reread of Bradbury's THE OCTOBER COUNTRY (the first real adult book I ever read, way back in the 70's) and also finally wrapped up THE DEDALUS BOOK OF SURREALISM: THE IDENTITY OF THINGS.

Next up:

random short fiction of varying stripes

THE YEAR'S BEST HORROR STORIES VOLUME 17 from 1988

WIELAND, OR THE TRANSFORMATION by Charles Brockden Brown, one of the first American novels (from 1798), an example of the under-read (by me, anyway) American Gothic strain and supposedly a favorite of one E.A. Poe!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1098 on: October 20, 2009, 02:43:37 AM

Annnnnnnnnnnd, it's almost -- but not quite -- entirely unlike the television show.  I enjoyed it and am interested in looking for more by Sawyer.

I liked www. Wake quite a bit. (its the first of a trilogy, to warn you - I didnt realize till I'd finished it).

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1099 on: October 20, 2009, 02:46:44 AM
question: I am almost done with Ender's Game.
Sequel: yay or nay?