The Lounge at the End of the Universe > Gallimaufry

What are you reading?

<< < (3/539) > >>

jrderego:

--- Quote from: Russell Nash on January 08, 2007, 12:58:52 PM ---What are you reading and what is in your waiting to be read pile?

I'm reading three books right now.
1) The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan
It's a look at the American food supply chain. You'll never eat at McDonald's again.

2) The Swarm
I got this one for my birthday last year and knew nothing about it. It's an English translation of a best-selling German book. The translation is a little academic, meaning no one uses any slang and the Canadians and Americans speak perfect British English. The book started out as kind of an enviromental warning story, but around page 200 of over 700 it started sliding slowly towards being SF. I don't know where it's going now.

3) A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam by Karen Armstrong
The silmilarities and differences of the three "linked" religions and a real look at what the three holy boooks have to say. Fascinating, but I find it can only be read 50 pages at a time. There's so much in it that you need to take a couple of weeks off every so often.

On my to be read pile I have three books
1&2) Are the first two books of the Terry Pratchet Discworld series. (What did everyone think of these?)

3) I forget the exact name of the third, but it's book one of a three part history of the Third Reich. The history of Germany leading up to the 1933 elections. I started it last year and set it aside. Hopefully I can get into it more on my second attempt.

I hope to hear what you guys are reading and maybe get some ideas of what else belongs in my pile.

Tom

--- End quote ---

I am not reading anything. I never read fiction when I am writing it, and for the last two years or so that's all I've done with my spare time. I do have two weeks pencilled out in February to take a keyboard hiatus and scream through a little stack of books I've had recommended by some friends and family as well as reread the only two books I've ever reread - Wells' The War of the Worlds and Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

Then it's back to nonfiction while I work through another bunch of shorts (provided my shorts don't bunch!!! thank you very much I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your server).

Russell Nash:

--- Quote from: Bdoomed on January 12, 2007, 02:18:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: Russell Nash on January 11, 2007, 01:32:32 PM ---Maybe that can be Apple's next product line.

--- End quote ---
riiight, because apple would "stoop so low" as to actually provide meaningful technology, something that WOULDNT be loved by the masses of teens geared soley towards incredibly stupid music and pop culture.  Reading would be completely detrimental to the apple line! god forbid anyone reads!

--- End quote ---

I chose Apple only because there stuff is always elegant and simple to use. You don't have to be a total tech head to use it. Which is why they have 75% of the MP3 player market and have over 90% of the market for MP3 users over 35.

The problem with the ebook readers now is they don't really work well.

madjo:
I have a huge stack of 'to-be-read' books, but sadly I lack the time to read (aside from studybooks)
Instead I listen to Podiobooks and Escapepods. (and a lot of other podcasts)

The Podiobooks I'm currently into are "Prophecy of Swords" by M.H. Bonham, and "The Immortals" by Tracy (and Laura) Hickman.
Sadly I've listened to nearly all episodes available, I have one or two episodes of Prophecy of swords waiting for me when I get home.
But they trickle in so slowly. :(

I do have a book on the top of the stack, in which I've already started in, and that's called "The Traveller" by John Twelve Hawks. It's an interesting story, but it paints a scary picture for the future. A Big-Brotherian future.

Russell Nash:

--- Quote from: madjo on January 12, 2007, 10:35:27 AM ---The Podiobooks I'm currently into are "Prophecy of Swords" by M.H. Bonham, and "The Immortals" by Tracy (and Laura) Hickman.   ....   But they trickle in so slowly. :(

--- End quote ---

This is a problem I have with Podiobooks. If a book isn't finished when I sign up for it, I won't start it until I get the "it's over" file.

Shade53:

--- Quote from: Bdoomed on January 12, 2007, 02:18:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: Russell Nash on January 11, 2007, 01:32:32 PM ---Maybe that can be Apple's next product line.

--- End quote ---
riiight, because apple would "stoop so low" as to actually provide meaningful technology, something that WOULDNT be loved by the masses of teens geared soley towards incredibly stupid music and pop culture.  Reading would be completely detrimental to the apple line! god forbid anyone reads!

--- End quote ---

Unless of course they paired the release with the release of Harry Potter 7... each reader would have it already downloaded.... then they would sell faster than popcorn for an HP movie. And maybe even get used more than once. Maybe. Personally, I'd love to have a reader device - I love to read but rarely seem to have enough time to read what I really want to read.

~S

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version