Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 845404 times)

Not-a-Robot

Reply #2650 on: August 28, 2016, 10:48:59 AM
Sorry Pleas Thank You - Charles Yu

I caught a sorry of his in a magazine and it was great. Now I'm halfway through the first short story in the book and it's great so far. If he keeps it up, I'll have to get his novel.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #2651 on: August 28, 2016, 12:22:13 PM
Robert Jordan - The Eye of the World

see you in a few years!

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2652 on: August 29, 2016, 12:22:19 AM
Robert Jordan - The Eye of the World

see you in a few years!

I didn't make it past the first chapter.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2653 on: August 29, 2016, 04:58:00 AM
just finished Robert Jordan's the Dragon Reborn, and started Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #2654 on: August 29, 2016, 09:08:30 AM
So I read the first 3 chapters of Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' this morning, which takes me most of the way through Part I.

It's OK, and the first couple of chapters were reminiscent of HG Wells in his more self consciously whimsical works, but if it doesn't pull up its socks and get its arse moving soon, it'll be the first and last Rushdie I read.  :-\

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW

Not-a-Robot

Reply #2655 on: September 24, 2016, 11:25:32 AM
The Tin Drum Günther Grass

One of the pillars of European magical realism. 

We'll see how it is.

Ryffnah

• Palmer
    • Deep Sky Anchor
Reply #2656 on: October 10, 2016, 10:51:25 AM
I just read two really great furry books -- "Rat's Reputation" by Michael H. Payne is kind of like a more serious version of Brian Jacques' Redwall books, and "Flower's Fang" by Madison Keller is an amazing, fun fantasy story set in a world with canine and plant-like people.  I'd highly recommend both of them.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2657 on: October 10, 2016, 11:37:52 AM

Sorry Pleas Thank You - Charles Yu

I caught a sorry of his in a magazine and it was great. Now I'm halfway through the first short story in the book and it's great so far. If he keeps it up, I'll have to get his novel.

My favorite of the bunch was “Hero Absorbs Major Damage”. It was one of the few to provide a little depth to round out the introspection and provide a better hook. I would love to hear this one in audio, as
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #2658 on: October 27, 2016, 12:49:46 PM
Catching up on some classics:
Robert E. Howard - Conan
Ursula K. LeGuin - Earthsea

also some non-English stuff:
Andrzej Sapkowski - the Witcher (in German translation - not even sure if all of it had been translated into English)

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #2659 on: October 27, 2016, 10:16:12 PM
I recently finished A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny. Quite probably the most fun novel I've read all year.

I recommend it for any YA reader who has graduated from Bunnicula. Howard and Chester have grown up and inhabit the spirit of Snuff and Greymalk. For something that could be merely silly, it hooks us to the characters and has put them in a world with real stakes.

Also recommended for any fan of The Graveyard Book by Gaiman.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Not-a-Robot

Reply #2660 on: November 13, 2016, 02:50:31 PM
A Man Without a Country - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I decided to give it a reread.

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
Reply #2661 on: November 14, 2016, 03:13:10 PM
The Well of Ascension - Brandon Sanderson (Part of his Mistborn series)

Really liked the first in this series, this one's taking longer to get into.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2662 on: November 16, 2016, 11:26:24 PM
Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2663 on: November 22, 2016, 04:40:59 PM
Doctor Who and the Zarbi by Bill Strutton, adapted from his own script for the television serial Doctor Who and the Web Planet. Featuring the first Doctor with Ian, Barbara, and Vicki.
(I'm reading all the novelizations by Target Books, in broadcast order. It's easier than torrenting the back episodes and watching them; particularly the Hartnell and Troughton ones that only have audio surviving.)

Every book prior to this one has referred to the main character as "The Doctor" in the narrative, but this one calls him "Doctor Who". It's annoying AF. Hopefully it is limited to this one book.

Also annoying AF: the numbering of the Target novelizations has no correlation with the broadcast order of the stories. Their publishing order is completely random. #1 is Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen, teevee serial #68. Interestingly, the first teevee story "An Unearthly Child" is Target book #68. (The second, "The Daleks" is book #16.)
I had to rename the files to sort them into teevee order. That's 159 files including the never-broadcast "Shada".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:58:24 PM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #2664 on: November 22, 2016, 06:27:56 PM

Doctor Who and the Zarbi by Bill Strutton, adapted from his own script for the television serial Doctor Who and the Web Planet. Featuring the first Doctor with Ian, Barbara, and Vicki.
(I'm reading all the novelizations by Target Books, in broadcast order. It's easier than torrenting the back episodes and watching them; particularly the Hartnell and Troughton ones that only have audio surviving.)

I have read a couple of these as an adult, and was a lot happier with the book than a lot of old episodes. The effects were way better in my head.

I've also heard amazing things about the radio dramas.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #2665 on: November 22, 2016, 09:50:26 PM

I have read a couple of these as an adult, and was a lot happier with the book than a lot of old episodes. The effects were way better in my head.
You can also imagine them in color  ;D

I've also heard amazing things about the radio dramas.
I also have a huge collection of the Big Finish audios. In particular I like the Eighth Doctor series, giving Paul McGann more opportunity to shine in his role than in that execrable 1996 movie, and the Sixth Doctor series - I hated Colin Baker on teevee, but he's quite good in these.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #2666 on: November 29, 2016, 04:58:45 PM
I've put down Doctor Who and the Zarbi to begin a re-read of Zelazny's "Amber" chronicles.
Mostly because of this:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/19/robert-kirkman-to-bring-roger-zelaznys-chronicles-of-amber-to-tv/

I've just finished The Guns of Avalon last weekend.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #2667 on: November 29, 2016, 09:04:57 PM
I've put down Doctor Who and the Zarbi to begin a re-read of Zelazny's "Amber" chronicles.
Mostly because of this:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/19/robert-kirkman-to-bring-roger-zelaznys-chronicles-of-amber-to-tv/

I've just finished The Guns of Avalon last weekend.

On my recent reread, the 3rd one Sign of the Unicorn was the most rewarding to adult me. A nice locked room mystery, and Zelazny definitely has a lot of fun with this one.

velocity

• Palmer
Reply #2668 on: March 31, 2017, 01:40:47 AM
American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #2669 on: March 31, 2017, 12:04:43 PM
For long form: Home by Nnedi Okoroafor
For short form: The Best of Joe R. Lansdale

I should probably schedule American Gods soon.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #2670 on: April 29, 2017, 01:38:58 AM
Just finished "the Vorrh" by Brian Caitling. Beautiful sentences serving no story.

I reaffirm my hatred of fantasy.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #2671 on: May 20, 2017, 05:20:25 PM
currently on wheel of time 7
have read White Trash Zombie series by Diana Rowland, Dorthy Must Die by Danielle Paige in recent weeks.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #2672 on: May 22, 2017, 02:25:57 PM
I just finished an ARC of River of Teeth (so good!) and am listening to American Gods during my commute before I dig into the TV show.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #2673 on: January 20, 2018, 08:52:31 PM
I am just finishing up The Legion of Flame by Anthony Ryan. It is really, really good!!

Anthony Ryan started out by self-publishing his first book Blood Song, which was subsequently picked up for commercial publication. I stumbled upon Blood Song when I was looking for a *long* audiobook to entertain me during a hands-intensive, brain-light project and chose the book based solely on it's long length (I was looking for quantity, not quality). I was pleasantly surprised to find that Ryan was a really good writer (unlike some self-published authors) and I thoroughly enjoy that book and every subsequent book of his that I have read.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:15:17 PM by CryptoMe »

SpareInch

• Hipparch
  • Will there be sugar after the rebellion?
Reply #2674 on: February 06, 2018, 12:01:19 PM
The Song Of Achilles by Madeline Miller.

Well, it has a goddess and a centaur in it, so I'm counting it as fantasy.  :P

Actually, I'm reading it because it's this month's book in the LGBT reading group I just joined here in Newcastle. Or rather, I'm in the process of joining, since to have actually joined I think you need to turn up and take part in the discussion at the end of the month. Still, it's really good, although I don't think Achilles is going to make it to the final sentence somehow - lol

Fresh slush - Shot this morning in the Vale of COW