Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 845518 times)

Zathras

Reply #625 on: October 02, 2008, 07:05:41 PM
I picked up a copy of The Black Hole for $.75, and just started it.  Yes, the movie from around 1980.  I haven't seen the movie since I was in grade school, and had actually mentioned it to my wife.  So, when I saw it on clearance at my local used bookstore, I snagged it up.

That was one of many film novelizations by Alan Dean Foster, wasn't it?

Yup.  I haven't had time to read it yet, but it sits there taunting me.  It waits to suck me into it's gravitational pull.

Ugg, that was cheesy!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #626 on: October 03, 2008, 05:23:55 AM
hmmm miiiight
just finished Dune last night.  greaaaaaat friggin read.

are the other books in the series worth reading?

One of the first threads in the forums was about that very question.
wow thanks for finding that, might pick em up if i get the chance (next time i'm in a bookstore that carries 'em)
i think i'll stick with at least the 6 ones written by Frank if at all

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #627 on: October 03, 2008, 01:15:59 PM
I haven't had time to read [The Black Hole] yet, but it sits there taunting me.  It waits to suck me into it's gravitational pull.

Ugg, that was cheesy!

Kind of like the movie, you mean?   ;)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #628 on: October 03, 2008, 02:20:51 PM
It's definitely closer to the stuff he did for Coraline, except it seems to be entwined or border the text for a few pages at the beginnng of each chapter, instead of just the first page.  I didn't look too closely, because I wanted to wait 'til I read it to get the full impact, but what I did see looked cool.

That sounds fantastic. I like McKean's art myself. I must lay hands on this tome, stat.

Zathras

Reply #629 on: October 04, 2008, 03:00:16 AM
I finally gave in today and picked up The Black Hole.

I was surprised at how short it was, 212 pages.

The only minor gripe I had with it was the poor job of editing.  Nothing major, but there were a few instances where the editing brought the story to a complete halt.

I don't remember the movie.  I was 5 when I saw it.  I remember some of the robots, especially B.O.B. and Maximillan.  I guess I'll have to find a copy and watch it.

All in all, if it was shorter, I think it would fit right in on Escapepod. 

If you are looking for a short book, go ahead and pick it up. 

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #630 on: October 04, 2008, 05:31:21 PM
I just finished "Stranger in a Strange Land" yesterday and didn't hate it quite as much as I did 25+ years ago.  I do have a better idea now of why I hated it so much the first time.  I don't think it stands up to the test of time very well.

I am now reading "The Last Colony" by John Scalzi.  It's part of my project to read all the 2008 Hugo nominated novels now that they're all out in paperback.  All I have left after this is "Halting State" by Charles Stross.  "The Last Colony" is going pretty fast and I'll probably finish reading it this weekend.  It's a fun book, but isn't really Hugo worthy.  So far, I still think "Brasyl" by Ian McDonald should have won. 

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #631 on: October 06, 2008, 09:26:44 PM
I just finished "Stranger in a Strange Land" yesterday and didn't hate it quite as much as I did 25+ years ago.  I do have a better idea now of why I hated it so much the first time.  I don't think it stands up to the test of time very well.

What I love about Heinlein's myriad of universes is that every one of them is at least a little different than the last, and as such, you get a little different view with each book. Though his books were all written before I was really into SF, I still enjoy almost all of them EVEN THOUGH they're dated. I like to see where Heinlein said "okay, x years in the future, y happens, so now history will be this way." SiSL was my first Heinlein book, and I found it pretty hard to follow at first because they have all this futuristic stuff, but hey, wait, Mike works at a circus? WTF? Still liked it though.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #632 on: October 06, 2008, 09:27:21 PM
HG Wells, "The Island of Dr. Moreau"

I need to pick up some of Verne's works. I've never read Around the World in 80 Days.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #633 on: October 06, 2008, 09:53:09 PM
Finished Heaven's Bones, which I really liked.  Now, I'm moving onto The Graveyard Book and Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts.  I read the first two stories from 20th Century Ghosts -- holy crap, they're good!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:56:35 PM by Russell Nash »

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #634 on: October 07, 2008, 01:32:32 AM
Finished Heaven's Bones, which I really liked.  Now, I'm moving onto The Graveyard Book and Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts.  I read the first two stories from 20th Century Ghosts -- holy crap, they're good!

Oh I loved, loved, loved 20th Century Ghosts.  I do believe, heritage notwithstanding, Joe Hill is my favorite horror writer atm.  Caitlin Kiernan is a close second, but she has some tics that work my nerves from time to time.  It's amazing how versatile the stories in 20th Century Ghosts are, too.  He's all over the map and nailing it on the head everywhere.  Wait 'till you get to the Bradbury homage!  It's totally lovely.

Did you read Heart-Shaped Box?  Because it's really riveting, too. 

I need to buy The Graveyard Book.  Maybe this week.

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #635 on: October 07, 2008, 03:15:37 AM

Have you read "Heart-Shaped Box"?  I never venture to the horror section, but that book kept popping up on my Amazon recommendations.  When I saw it at the bookstore, I picked it up because it sounded interesting.  It turned out to be a phenomenal novel.  I used to love ghost stories when I was a kid, but have shied away from horror novels because I don't like too much blood & gore.  I prefer psychological horror and that's what Joe Hill delivers. 

"20th Century Ghosts" reminds me of "The Twilight Zone" in the variety of it's stories.  Some are straight-up horror, some are bittersweet, and all are terrific.

I think Joe Hill is my new must-read author.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #636 on: October 07, 2008, 03:17:14 AM
LOL!  I posted before I read Anarkey's post.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #637 on: October 07, 2008, 03:36:06 PM
No, I haven't picked up Heart-Shaped Box yet but I'm pretty sure it will be one of the next novels I pick up.  Nice to hear you both like it, though :)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #638 on: October 07, 2008, 03:55:35 PM
I was about to post, "didn't he write "Heart-Shaped Box"? 

Then I read over the recent posts more carefully.   :P

eytanz

Reply #639 on: October 10, 2008, 12:03:07 AM
Huh, it looks like I haven't posted in this thread in ages...

I'm currently reading Guy Gavriel Kay's Ysabel, which - well, if you like Kay already, you'll like this, if you don't, it won't change your mind. It's a different setting than his normal stuff (being set in modern times), but still very recognizable.

Before that I read Patricia A. McKillip's The Bell At Sealey Head - McKillip is a somewhat uneven writer, with some of her novels being wonderful and others being too convoluted and obscure. This one was firmly in the "wonderful" camp. It's also a good introduction to McKillip's work and writing style if you're not familiar with her already, so I strongly recommend it.

ryos

• Palmer
Reply #640 on: October 10, 2008, 07:26:36 AM
What am I reading, at the moment? Textbooks. :(

I also read far too many RSS feeds.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #641 on: October 11, 2008, 11:12:16 PM
Halfway through the Graveyard Book audiobook version.  I always listen to Gaiman's books in audio rather than text, because it's actually his preferred format - and he always reads them himself unless he pictures someone else in particular being the voice of the character, then he gets them to do it.

Anyway, the Graveyard Book is indeed a gothy retake on The Jungle Book.  Just replace "Jungle" with "Graveyard", "Wolves" with "Ghosts", "Black Panther" with "Vampire", and Shere Khan with a kind of mystic serial killer. 

Don't get me wrong - I think that's a good thing.  I adore the Jungle Book, and the parallels aren't close enough that I can predict the plot or anything (though on the chapter with the monkeysghouls it came close.  Mostly it's just really well written and engaging, in a children's story sort of way.  And I do think it's actually appropriate for children, though I'm sure many would disagree.  Granted, it's going to appeal to kids who already like darker or morbid subject matter - not so much for kids who prefer rainbows and dancing ponies. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:22:34 PM by Russell Nash »

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #642 on: October 12, 2008, 03:32:34 PM
Halfway through the Graveyard Book audiobook version.  I always listen to Gaiman's books in audio rather than text, because it's actually his preferred format - and he always reads them himself unless he pictures someone else in particular being the voice of the character, then he gets them to do it.

What did you think of George Guidall's reading of American Gods?

For my part, it was the first Guidall reading I'd ever heard, and I thought he did a great job.  (I've since listened to his readings of Dune, Frankenstein, and the last 3 books of King's "Dark Tower" epic plus the rewrite of the first.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #643 on: October 13, 2008, 05:11:09 AM
I just finished Diana Wynee Jone's The Tough Guide to Fantasyland.[/i]  It's a skewering of the conventions of "high fantasy" in the format of a dictionary, which for some reason is called the "Tough Picks" section of the guide. Entries range from "Adept" to "Zombies." Some are hysterical, many are funny, and few are duds.  Best read in short bursts, I think, rather than long sittings.

Now starting: Installing Linux on a Dead Badger.  I don't know much about it, because I won it in a drawing at Strange Horizons rather than picking it out myself.  Looks like some seriously geeky humor, though...

Mods, please EP-ize those links...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:29:13 AM by Russell Nash »

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #644 on: October 13, 2008, 01:51:57 PM
Finished Rant (sooo good my GOD i love Palahniuk!)
Starting another one of his, Snuff

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Russell Nash

Reply #645 on: October 13, 2008, 03:01:09 PM
Finished three more in my Discworld quest: The Last Hero,   The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, and Night Watch.

I started reading The Science of Discworld and found it rather dull.  Do I need to give it more than a few chapters to get going or is it just lame?

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #646 on: October 13, 2008, 11:38:23 PM
I just finished Diana Wynee Jone's The Tough Guide to Fantasyland.  It's a skewering of the conventions of "high fantasy" in the format of a dictionary, which for some reason is called the "Tough Picks" section of the guide. Entries range from "Adept" to "Zombies." Some are hysterical, many are funny, and few are duds.  Best read in short bursts, I think, rather than long sittings.

I got a copy of "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland" a couple of months ago.  I'm not sure if I've read it all or not.  I'd read an entry and it would lead me to looking up other entries.  Those entries would lead me to looking up yet other entries.  I'm not sure if that method led to reading all the entries.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 07:10:48 AM by Russell Nash »

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #647 on: October 14, 2008, 01:24:09 AM
I just finished Caleb Carr's The Alienist.  I found it fascinating and gripping, despite a writing style that occasionally sounded like a parody of historical fiction writing.  It's one of those books outside the SF genre that a lot of SF fans would probably enjoy.

Right now I have two used paperbacks by William Gibson (Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive) on my bookshelf that I've been kind of willing myself to pick up and try.  I've never warmed to Gibson's writing style - I tried and failed to finish Neuromancer years ago - but I really really want to give him a chance before I pass final judgment. 

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #648 on: October 14, 2008, 01:34:38 AM

Right now I have two used paperbacks by William Gibson (Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive) on my bookshelf that I've been kind of willing myself to pick up and try.  I've never warmed to Gibson's writing style - I tried and failed to finish Neuromancer years ago - but I really really want to give him a chance before I pass final judgment. 

Not to pre-judge the thing, but I suspect that if you didn't like Neuromancer, the other two legs of the trilogy aren't going to work for you, either.   I was totally blown away by Neuromancer, and Gibson is one of my reigning favorites, but the books have more similarities than differences. 

If you want to give Gibson a fair shot, go for some of the short story collections. They styles and worlds are more varied. To see if you've warmed to the Neuromancer style and themes with the passage of time, I strongly recommend Burning Chrome The title story is almost a sketch of the Neuromancer world.  If it strikes you better this time around, you can dive back into the novels.  If not, you haven't invested as much time and effort...

Mods, please EP-ize the link...
done
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 02:23:25 AM by Bdoomed »

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #649 on: October 14, 2008, 02:49:14 AM
I have a love/hate thing will William Gibson.  I've only read three of his books.  I loved, "The Difference Engine".  I loved "Pattern Recognition".  I absolutely hated "Neuromancer".  I just can't figure him out.