Author Topic: The Reaper thread I could have sworn we had  (Read 3633 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: March 04, 2009, 08:09:58 AM
I (as one could suspect from the title), could have sworn we had a thread about Reaper, but I'm not seeing it using the search function, so I'm creating it now.

Boilerplate: Reaper is a CW series in the States that deals with a son of the Devil and his misadventures capturing escaped daemons. The Wikipedia article goes into detail.

Season Two kicked off tonight, Season One having been screwed around with by the Strike. The first episode was a little disappointing after some really entertaining episodes last season; A. the cattleprod+water gambit was really bleeding obvious, and B. it's rarely a good idea to steal the title that they stole. The Devil's still the highlight of the series, but I wish they'd held out a little longer on the inevitable protagonist-girl next door relationship occurring.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:05:45 PM
I'm mostly glad it's back. This is a really fun show. Gonna give it it's just due.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 02:36:29 AM
I'm still not convinced that the Devil is Sam's father.  I think his father ripped that page from the contract, not because someone else was Sam's father, but because his actual father has a secret past (and a different true name) that he didn't want revealed.

I admit to being thrown by that conversation with the Devil in the premiere, but I noticed that his comments were heavy on implication, without ever outright stating that Sam is his son.

He might be a grandson, though.  The contempt the Devil shows for his children in this episode mirrors the contempt he has for Sam's father.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 04:32:39 AM
Davedoty: I had simular thoughts on this. Perhpas not the dad... but. 

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.