Author Topic: Locke and Key  (Read 3552 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: March 13, 2009, 05:35:58 PM
In the most recent PP episode, Al was talking about Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts (which I agree, is excellent).

I just finished reading his new comic book series Locke and Key (or, at least, the first chapter of it), and if you dig horror comics, I'd give it a solid recommendation. It starts off with a grisly murder and follows the survivors of the incident at their new home, a strange mansion in Lovecraft, Maine. (Honestly, that the town is called Lovecraft is really my only gripe with the book.) There's some wicked supernatural elements at play, too, as well as plain, simple axe-wielding, gun-toting maniacs.

What I dig about Joe Hill in this and in 20th Century Ghosts is the humanity he brings to his characters. They always feel like real people, struggling with who they are and what they've been through, and when Bad Things Start Happening To Them, you really want them to make it out okay.

I almost wish this was a stand-alone story but as it's clearly going to be ongoing there's a part of me that hopes Hill can pull this off and kind of create his own Big Epic Comic. I'm curious to see where the next chapter takes us and how the overarcing story turns out.

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 10:33:22 PM
Just ordered this on your recommendation  :D (does that mean I get to blame you if I don't like it  ;) )  based on how much I enjoyed 20th C Ghosts and Heart Shaped Box though I'll love it.

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 04:00:23 PM
Very cool! I hope you enjoy it.

(I still need to check out Heart-Shaped Box...)

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:54:33 PM
Got it, started it, think its brilliant  :D

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.