Author Topic: Soul  (Read 2890 times)

Kronikarz

• Extern
on: March 21, 2009, 01:23:50 AM
I have never been a strong person. Although most people would describe me as cheery and optimistic, I owe it to a tremendous deal of effort that I put into maintaining a healthy mindset. I've had suicidal thoughts in the past and I've learned to manage the terrible feeling of emptiness in my heart. There are a few things in my life that help me, and good fiction is, I believe, the most important one (escapism?). Without it I would soon spiral into deep depression.

Escape Pod *is* my favorite podcast. It's my favorite magazine, if it could be called that.

And I must admit, not without embarrassment, that there has never been a more soul-crushing experience in my life than hearing for the third time the words "Hello, and welcome to Escape Pod" being said by someone OTHER than Steve Eley. I have never before been so scared of change.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Tony Smith or Jeff DeRego. It's just that Escape Pod is nothing for me without Mr. Eley. His voice is like a lighthouse on the stormy ocean of my mind. Every time I hear the unique "it's story time" I know that the world isn't as bad as it appears and even if, in about 40 minutes, it's going to go back to being the bleak and dreary place it is, at least for now I'm somewhere else.

And no one except Steve Eley can convince me of that. And no one else can make me have fun just by saying two words.

PS. I know you think I'm exaggerating, or I'm being overly dramatic, or I'm joking. But I am dead serious, at least as much as I can be without taking any medication.

excuse my bad English -- not a native speaker
my name is pronounced "Crauhneeckaj" - rolling r, last j as in Jacques

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:09:59 PM
Hi Kornikarz,

I'm sorry the change has been upsetting for you, and I'm sure that Steve will be gratified to know that so many people - you included - treasure his introductions.

However, you have to remember that this is a more-or-less volunteer gig for most of us who pass our time around here. When our lives interfere, we're going to have to put priority on our husbands, our wives, our jobs, and our children, not on our hobbies.

I hope you grow to enjoy the new Escape Pod hosts. But even if you don't, it might be a good idea to step back and think about Steve's experiences -- he hasn't been shy about sharing that he's having a hard time, and it's not really fair to ask him to bear the burden of crushing your soul while he's trying to make sure his own doesn't get crushed.

All best thoughts going your way,

Rachel

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:30 PM
Kronikarz:

Might I direct you to a book I read recently that might help you change your mindset - for the better - more permanently, rather than in short bursts, as reading fiction is liable to do?

The book is The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge.  It's available both on paper and in audiobook format.  I have no affiliation with either Dr. Doidge or his publisher.

It describes the recent (last 4 decades) evidence that, contrary to previously established medical/psychiatric opinion, brain pathways are plastic and can (and regularly do) change themselves throughout our lives.  This means that you aren't necessarily stuck with those empty feelings and deep depression; you can train your mind away from them, though it will take time and you may need help to do so.

I'm not Steve, so this may not work, but if you embark on this journey, or even if you don't:

Have Fun

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham