Author Topic: I stabbed my hand today...  (Read 8900 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: March 29, 2009, 02:30:23 AM
and I don't advise trying it to anyone who is thinking about doing it.... tis quite painful.  and also limits the use of that hand.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Zathras

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:16:55 AM
Lye!  You were supposed to use lye.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 04:56:44 AM
that sounds like fun. can I stab your hand too?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 06:07:57 AM
no, no no, thanks for the offer tho.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 06:24:15 AM
ok... gotta ask what happened why how etc?

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 06:30:20 AM
I stabbed my hand today...

Isn't that the Nine-Inch Nails song that was covered by Johnny Cash?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 07:02:22 AM
:P
my speaker system is kinda broken, one of those "hold it at such and such angle and the left one will work" kinda problems.
got way worse today, to the point where i have to press really hard on the wire to get the left speaker working.
soooo
i decided to pry open my speaker!  course that involves wedging a knife into the front plate... you can see where this is going...
wouldnt pry off wouldnt pry off, then... joy, the knife slips from the front plate, and of course i'm still putting lots of pressure on the knife, so with no where else to go... it lands about 4 or 5mm deep into my palm :D!

not a terrible stab, not horribly deep, but pretty goddamn painful, and way goddamn worse than a goddamn cut.
and its on the muscle thats between the thumb and pointer finger, which until now i did not realize is responsible for pretty much your whole grip, and also for carrying stuff...

and of course i inherited a terrible tendency to go all white and nauseous when i get any kind of injury worse than a bad cut... so the first minute was me being jumpy with adrenaline, and then the next 5 was me being sick from ... i duno maybe adrenaline too haha.

the moral here?
Knives are sharp.
And speakers suck.

Lye!  You were supposed to use lye.
Yea but i'm not an insomniac gone insane... but if i ever become one that's one of the first things i'll do.

Zathras

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:51:04 PM
I hope your hand is better today.

I'm not sure I buy your story, though.  I think this has something to do with the Clash of the Autarchs.

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 04:00:06 PM

I'm not sure I buy your story, though.  I think this has something to do with the Clash of the Autarchs.

He would've ended up with a lot more than a scratch on his hand.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 06:46:20 PM

no, that resulted in the loss of an eyeball thursday night, but i'm over that.  turns out i look fucking bad-ass with an eye patch and a scar protruding from it.

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 07:33:22 PM

no, that resulted in the loss of an eyeball thursday night, but i'm over that.  turns out i look fucking bad-ass with an eye patch and a scar protruding from it.

That was my work.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 08:22:05 PM

That was my work.

Mine is a more subtle knife.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Zathras

Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 09:45:01 PM

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 01:03:30 AM
nah more like
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:09:31 AM by Bdoomed »

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 02:45:14 AM
nah more like Kenpachi

but he hasn't lost an eye. you only look that badass if you wear an eyepatch before you lose an eye.

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 11:41:17 AM

That was my work.

Mine is a more subtle knife.

I was checking how well I'd sharpened my long sword.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 05:20:47 PM

nah it don look like much, but thats still a lot of knife to be in a hand...

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:15 PM
yes it is alot of knife to be in your hand thats why I recommend being very careful when prying things with a knife lol

nice knife btw

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 08:59:59 PM
i love it :)

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 04:47:27 PM
This is what I carry

it is a pretty good one but not the best I have owned ( the best one broke and I did not have a place to by a new one at that time so I got this one instead)

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 03:21:12 AM
Damn!  I stuck a knife in my hand in almost the same place last Halloween while carving a pumpkin.  A wound in that area takes a while to heal.   Good luck.  Awesome knife!

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 10:08:56 PM
actually healed up pretty damn quickly!  still stings a bit if i press on it (:P) but other than that i have almost full use of my hand again, a slightly weak grip, and the muscle gets a slight bit sore if i overexert it, but the cut has pretty much filled in completely! :)

i looove my knife, and twas soo cheap too :P

it locks when its unfolded, button release, intimidating too when ya want it to be :)
only problem i have is that the blade is hinged on a screw that gets loose a lot, gotta tighten it every once in a while
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:47:51 PM by Bdoomed »

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 03:00:23 AM
if you are going to stab yourself skip the hand and go for the chin.  about 15 years back or so now, My parents replaced our old portable dishwasher with a new one.  about the same time the built in at my grandmother's house died so we took our old one to her house.  It shifted on the trip and broke off a prong on the plug.  Went to the local hardware store (think more garden center that sells a few tools).  didn't have any real electrical tools only knife we could find that looked like it would cut through the 1/2 diameter cord to remove the old plug and replace it was a linoleum knife.  big curved wicked looking thing if you've never seen one.  I am cutting the cord and it's not cutting not cutting and then boom I make it through the insulation on oneside and the knife comes flying out the other side.  because of the style of knife i basically had the cord bent double and was pulling up with the knife.  When the cord cut the force I was exerting on it was enough to send the tip of the knife into my chin as deep as it could go (because of the bone there).  about 1/2 inch deep maybe.  was clean and not wide so no stitches, but damn did it bleed.  Nothing like going into work monday with a big gauze bandage on your chin and everyone going what happened. 

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 03:02:26 AM
<Thanks Mr. Nash for calling me to the party!>

[in my best Crocodile Dundee impression]
That's not a stab—THIS is a stab <see avatar>

Man, it's been way too long since i've been back here!!! I accidentally kicked my addiction to this forum, but i'm gonna have to fall back off the wagon. This place is too fun.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 06:09:04 PM

Man, it's been way too long since i've been back here!!! I accidentally kicked my addiction to this forum, but i'm gonna have to fall back off the wagon. This place is too fun.
Trump card

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 08:56:10 PM
yea i cant hold a candle to that...

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 02:26:08 AM
yea i cant hold a candle to that...

Is that a jab at my lack of a finger??

8)

Russell Nash

Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 09:58:12 PM

When regulars disappear for a while, I give them a callout and see if they're OK.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 10:30:26 PM

When regulars disappear for a while, I give them a callout and see if they're OK.

As part of his messianic shepherd complex.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.