Author Topic: Interview The Person Below You  (Read 218127 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #675 on: August 20, 2010, 05:01:26 PM
And your next question?

Isn't Zorag's question "What is with the hatred of Goodkind?"

I'd answer, but I've never read any of his books, so I have no opinion.  :P

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #676 on: August 20, 2010, 05:20:22 PM
Re: Terry Goodkind.

Or just Google "Terry Goodkind Sucks" (There's some pretty amusing responses.)

I actually liked Wizards First Rule. But, yeah, after reading the second - fourth books, I gave up. The exploitation of women for titillation factor really was just awful. Also, resurrecting the main bad guy for the sequel, who just happens to be the hero's long lost, estranged, biological father (since he raped the hero's mother) - eh. Tacky. I should've stopped after book 1.

What are you going to do for your next birthday?

evelet

• Extern
Reply #677 on: August 20, 2010, 08:41:39 PM
Going to try to get back to Rome. My favourite city in the world - there is just something magical about the place. I will drink a morning coffee outside the Pantheon, watching people passing by. Wander up to the Borghese gardens, and find a simple lunch. Then the gallery borghese for the afternoon. Cocktails in the bar of the Locarno. Mooch down to the back streets around Navona, then dinner of perfect simple wood-fired pizza at Baffetto.

I get fat in Rome.

Where do you feel most at home?

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #678 on: August 21, 2010, 07:19:42 PM
@DKT, thank you.  I never realized how much of the stories I was ignoring.  I am currently listening to book 3, and had been rast forwarding past certain scenes.  I do not agree with all of the criticism, but now I understand it.                        To answer the last question:  Anywhere.  I am a nomad at heart and adapt to new environments quickly.                                                                                               If you could go back in time and kill someone evil, say Charles Manson, when they were 5 years old, would you?

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #679 on: August 23, 2010, 04:42:20 PM
If you could go back in time and kill someone evil, say Charles Manson, when they were 5 years old, would you?

No.

If you could go back in time and tell yourself not to make x mistake (ie: stop playing a sport, dating or not dating a certain person, taking or leaving a job), what age do you think you'd be most receptive to meeting your future self and hearing such things?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

eytanz

Reply #680 on: August 23, 2010, 05:20:26 PM
If you could go back in time and kill someone evil, say Charles Manson, when they were 5 years old, would you?

No.

If you could go back in time and tell yourself not to make x mistake (ie: stop playing a sport, dating or not dating a certain person, taking or leaving a job), what age do you think you'd be most receptive to meeting your future self and hearing such things?

Maybe when I was 8 or 9 and rather impressionable. Certainly, as an adult, I would be very hesitant, and it would have to be a really big mistake for me to consider heeding that advice.

Instead, what I would do if I ever meet my future self is buy all of my favourite food, and have a great meal with myself. That way, I get to experience it twice.

Which brings me to my question - If you could buy and cook anything you want - money's no object, nor are allergies or other restrictions that would normally prevent you from eating something - what would it be? It has to be something you prepare yourself, no eating out.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #681 on: August 24, 2010, 02:58:08 AM
That's a really tough question. I'm hard pressed to think of anything I don't already buy and cook myself.

Perhaps truffles? I've never had any so I'm curious as to why they're so highly prized.

Or -- not strictly speaking cooking -- some of that Kopi Luwak. Just out of curiosity.

Where would you most like to build a house?

KillerWhalen

• Extern
  • A man, a plan, a canal, Rideau!
    • Movies, Malaise, Miscellania
Reply #682 on: September 06, 2010, 12:59:15 AM
Where would you most like to build a house?

Assuming there's no restrictions to where I build it? Anyplace that would turn heads, a nice three room bungalow perched on a mountain, or a town-house floating on a barge in a lake. Sure, it'd be hell trying to head to the coner store for some milk, but who hasn't wanted to live in a Tudor on the roof of a skyscraper?

If you could take the place of any fictional character, who would it be and why?

I just don't get it.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #683 on: September 07, 2010, 12:27:30 AM
Well... first I'd write a story about a guy who gets everything he wants all of the time and lives as long as he feels like it.  And then I'd like to take the place of that guy.
I'd be able to get whatever!  Even challenges, if I wanted one, even problems, if I wanted them.

If you could prevent any book from being written, what would it be?

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #684 on: September 07, 2010, 03:46:02 AM
That is an interesting question.  I am against censorship.  There are lots of books I care not to read, and even more that I do not want my kids to read, but I am fine with them being written.  I will go with my biography.                                                                                    What is the average air speed of an unladen swallow?

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #685 on: September 07, 2010, 04:26:03 AM
African or European?

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #686 on: March 29, 2012, 08:50:10 PM
I think it is time to resurrect this thread!

The answer to kibitzer's question is, of course, "Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh...."

Apple or Android?

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #687 on: March 29, 2012, 08:56:44 PM
I don't have a smartphone. I have a dumbphone.

A really dumbphone. You have no idea how much I hate this thing (*GLARE*).

Anyway, what do you do and how long have you done it?

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #688 on: March 30, 2012, 03:02:19 AM
I am an electron plumber, aka, network administrator.  Much like a  plumber, when I do a good job, no one notices, but when I screw up, people are miserable, and there's crap flying everywhere.  I've been doing it for 12 years. However, my degree was chemical engineering/astronomy.

What author's works do you have the most of?

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #689 on: March 30, 2012, 01:46:25 PM
That would be the late, great Brian Jacques. We have all 22 of the Redwall series, many in both paperback (husband's) and hardcover (mine) from before our libraries were combined. Plus the three Flying Dutchman books, and a couple misc things like maps of Redwall Abbey and Mariel of Redwall on audiotape.

What musical artist or group is your guilty pleasure?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #690 on: March 31, 2012, 01:28:29 AM
What musical artist or group is your guilty pleasure?

The Insane Clown Posse.  (They're funny, okay?  I promise you they don't take themselves as seriously as their lunatic fanbase does.)

---

What's your excuse?

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #691 on: March 31, 2012, 01:03:09 PM
My excuse?  It's a day that ends in Y.

Do you remember how you first learned of Escape Artists podcasts?

eytanz

Reply #692 on: March 31, 2012, 01:23:53 PM
I do remember. I had just recently acquired my first iPod, and was interested in trying out podcasts but did not want to go for one with too much of an established history, so I was looking for a new one. Pseudopod's launch was mentioned by Lore Sjoberg on his then-blog, Slumbering Lungfish, which I used to read. It sounded interesting, so I subscribed, then a couple months later subscribed to Escape Pod as well.

----

What is your least favorite over-used story twist?

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #693 on: April 02, 2012, 07:36:26 PM
The past/present time-shift that so many authors are doing these days. And I say that with a book contract in my hand for a novel that does exactly that thing.

How much (what percentage) of your working day is spent goofing off?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #694 on: April 02, 2012, 07:39:52 PM
The past/present time-shift that so many authors are doing these days. And I say that with a book contract in my hand for a novel that does exactly that thing.

How much (what percentage) of your working day is spent goofing off?

None.

I teach middle school. I'm basically on stage from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM. I can sometimes sneak in maybe half an hour of goofing off during my prep.

Which pole do you prefer?

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #695 on: April 02, 2012, 08:46:56 PM
Which pole do you prefer?

Totem

If you could tweak one thing about your favorite book/movie to make it even better, what would that tweak be?

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #696 on: April 08, 2012, 02:29:26 AM

Totem

If you could tweak one thing about your favorite book/movie to make it even better, what would that tweak be?

You probably almost killed the thread because nobody can pick just one favorite book.  Let's say, semi-hypothetically, that my favorite book is The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth (and other stories) by Roger Zelazny (linkified to wikipedia for contents).  I would add "24 Views of Mt. Fuji, by Hokusai" to the collection, even though it is a later story and that wouldn't make sense temporally speaking.  Because I love that story and then all my favorite Zelazny stories would be in one collection.

What famous author's name are you most likely to misspell?

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #697 on: April 08, 2012, 08:39:22 AM
Shake-spear.

Which author would you most like to be?

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #698 on: April 10, 2012, 03:48:00 PM
You probably almost killed the thread because nobody can pick just one favorite book. 

Sorry about that.  I will try to start a new trend.

Which author would you most like to be?

Charles Dickens, because seldom does anybody have much bad to say about his work, deservedly so.

--

Did you like the Hunger Games movie?

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

robertcday

• Palmer
  • I don't need anything from you.
    • MeMyMine
Reply #699 on: April 13, 2012, 02:39:14 PM
Not seen the movie yet, but loved the three Hunger Games books!

Which character would you most like to be in any Sci-Fi movie and why?

Robert.

fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired"