Author Topic: Is the feed down for anyone else?  (Read 5463 times)

fishmech

• Extern
on: April 25, 2009, 01:40:32 AM
Ever since last night, it seems that the Pseudopod and Escape Pod feeds have been MIA. I can't update the podcasts and check for new episodes in the Zune software or view the feeds in a web browser. What's up? Is there maintenance going on?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:34:07 AM by Heradel »

FamilyGuy

• Matross
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:41:43 PM
iTunes has also lost the feed.  It has done this in the past, but usually comes around within a day or so.  I hope.  ???

When will all the rhetorical questions end?

Tricster

• Extern
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 09:50:18 PM
I've recently switched over to linux (ubuntu 9.04) and I'm using Banshee, however, I can't subscribe to any of the EscapeArtists podcasts. Anyone have this trouble? The .xmls don't work on the websites. I had the same problem with rhythmbox.

Please help! I don't want to miss out on the great stories here.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:28:28 PM
It appears that the feeds themselves are currently down, they're likely to be back up soon.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

MillenniumKnight

• Extern
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:28:32 PM
The feeds for escapepod, pseudopod, and podcastle all disappeared at the same time, I haven't been able to access them since Friday morning.  I am hoping that there will be new content once the feeds are restored.  I use iTunes as my podcatcher, but in this instance the problem is with no content at the server, so it isn't an iTunes problem.

It appears that the server has been hacked, or the DNS has been redirected.

All of these now redirect to a non-standard google-appearing possible phishing site.

http://feeds.pseudopod.org/Pseudopod
http://feeds.escapeartists.net/PodCastle_Main
http://feeds.escapepod.org/EscapePod

mmaris

• Extern
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 12:42:46 AM
I don't know if I'm overreacting, but as I move along the corridor, the ship is lurching about me, klaxons are sounding, and those damned red-and-white rotating emergency beacon lights are everywhere... 

Anyway.

For the past two days, all 3 of the Escape Artists feeds are registering as "missing in action" in my iTunes subscriptions.  I can hit other feeds (Podiobooks, Mevio, etc), so it doesn't seem like a failure in the local configuration of my podosphere.  Specifically, when I try to update each of the three podcasts (EscapePod, PseudoPod, and PodCastle), I get an iTunes message dialog such as:

There was a problem downloading "Escape Pod".
  The URL"http://feeds.escapepod.org/EscapePod" could not be found on the server.
  <OK>

No, Damn it.  It's very FAR from "Ok", and I am NOT going to push that button and acknowledge to the universe that it is somehow "O" "K".  That would MAKE it OK, and three of my favorite podcast feeds would immediately be flushed into ... who knows where?

And now, Things ... Very Odd Things ... are starting to crawl out of the walls in the absence of the feeds.  Not good.  Not good at all.  Is anyone else seeing this, or am I -- as Alasdair might say -- just screaming into the ultimate dark, all alone...  ??

Yours sincerely, as the fabric of the universe parts,
Mark

lungdoc

• Extern
hi all,
just noticed that my Escape Pod and Pod Castle downloads haven't been downloading in the last week...the little itunes exclamation point says the URL couldn't be found on the server... :'(

what to do?
Lung doc
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:04:15 AM by Heradel »

jonathanhowell

• Extern
I'm noticing the same thing. It's been down for a few days now (since 4/23?)

When I scout out the url, I get a page that *looks* like a Google 404 page, but still on the escapepod.org site. Hmmmm.

There are similar messages in the Psuedopod forums. Looks like a lot of the site is down. What gives?

Jonathan

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
People know there's a problem, it's being worked on. Should be solved in short order, don't panic. I merged together all of the threads on this topic into one.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:07:30 AM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

fractal

• Extern
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 03:49:34 PM
I also am not able to get the feeds via itunes... same error... and when i go to the main page, and click on the "main podcast feed" button, i get a 404.

Click, hum.

The huge grey escape pod rss feed moved silently through the black void. It was traveling at fabulous, breathtaking speed, yet appeared, against the glimmering background of a billion distant stars to be moving not at all. It was just one dark speck frozen against an infinite granularity of brilliant night.

On board the podcast, everything was as it had been for millenia, deeply dark and silent.
Click, hum.
At least, almost everything.
Click, click, hum.
Click, hum, click, hum, click, hum.
Click, click, click, click, click, hum.
Hmmm.
A low-level supervising program woke up a slightly higher-level supervising program deep in the podcast's semisomnolent cyberbrain and reported to it that whenever it went _click_ all it got was a _hum._

The higher-level supervising program asked it what it was supposed to get, and the low-level supervising program said that it couldn't remember what it was meant to get, exactly, but thought it was probably more of a sort of distant satisfied sigh, wasn't it? It didn't know what this hum was. Click, hum, click, hum. That was all it was getting.

The higher-level supervising program considered this and didn't like it. It asked the low-level supervising program what exactly it was supervising and the low-level supervising program said it couldn't remember that either, just that it was something that was meant to go click, sigh every ten years or so, which usually happened without fail. It had tried to consult its error look-up table but couldn't find it, which was why it had alerted the higher-level supervising program of the problem.

The higher-level supervising program went to consult one of its own look-up tables to find out what the low-level supervising program was meant to be supervising.

It couldn't find the look-up table.

Odd.

It looked again. All it got was an error message. It tried to look up the error message in its error message look-up table and couldn't find that either. It allowed a couple of nanoseconds to go by while it went through all this again. Then it woke up its sector function supervisor.

The sector function supervisor hit immediate problems. It called its supervising agent, which hit problems too. Within a few millionths of a second virtual circuits that had lain dormant, some for years, some for centuries, were flaring into life throughout the entire Escape Artists website. Something, somewhere, had gone terribly wrong, but none of the supervising programs could tell what it was. At every level, vital instructions were missing, and the instructions about what to do in the event of discovering that vital instructions were missing, were also missing.

Small modules of software--agents--surged through the logical pathways, grouping, consulting, regrouping. They quickly established that the website's memory, all the way back to its central mission module, was in tatters. No amount of interrogation could determine what it was that had happened. Even the central mission module itself seemed to be damaged.

This made the whole problem very simple to deal with, in fact. Replace the central mission module. There was another one, a backup, an exact duplicate of the original. It had to be physically replaced because, for safety reasons, there was no link whatsoever between the original and its backup. Once the central mission module was replaced it could itself supervise the reconstruction of the rest of the system in every detail, and all would be well.

Robots were instructed to bring the backup central mission module from the shielded strong room, where they guarded it, to the website's logic chamber for installation.

This involved the lengthy exchange of emergency codes and protocols as the robots interrogated the agents as to the authenticity of the instructions. At last the robots were satisfied that all the procedures were correct. They unpacked the backup central mission module from its storage housing, carried it out of the storage chamber, fell out of the server and went spinning off into the void.

This provided the first major clue as to what it was that was wrong.

Further investigation quickly established what it was that had happened. A meteorite had knocked a large hole in the website's server. The website had not previously detected this because the meteorite had neatly knocked out that part of the server's processing equipment which was supposed to detect if the server had been hit by a meteorite.

{paraphrased from "mostly harmless," by Douglas Adams.}

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:54:31 PM by fractal »

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 02:08:36 AM
    Hi all,

Explanation and status update.  The really short form goes like this:

[list=1]
  • We've been using Feedburner for feed stats and caching.  It's mostly worked out well.
  • Google bought Feedburner.  For a while, nothing changed.  But they were slowly starting to shift various admin-type URLs over from Feedburner.com ones to Google.com ones.
  • A few days ago, they finalized a transition for the actual feed serving that broke the way we were doing redirects.  My attempts to log on and re-claim our feeds, to keep things going the way Google said we're supposed to, failed.
  • Google offers no contact info nor human support for this service that I can find.
  • A couple days of bullshit is enough.  Bye-bye Feedburner.

The good news is that it should be fixed now.  Because we were always using our own domains for our feed URLs, once I gave up on trying to make Google/Feedburner work it was just a matter of reconfiguring our Web server to respond to the right domain names and redirect to the right places.  It should start working for everyone, if not right now then over the next 24 hours as DNS changes propagate across the Internet.  We're serving the feeds directly out of Wordpress for the time being.  At some point soon(ish) we hope to have a better answer, but in the meantime the podcasts keep on going.

Thanks to all who reported the problem, and thanks to everyone for your patience.  Please speak up if you continue to encounter problems after tomorrow.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 03:32:26 AM
Thanks Steve.  This also fixed the feeds to work again here behind "the (not so) Great Firewall of China"  Feedburner has been giving me fits for some time here in China I think due mostly to people who use Blogger to criticize China/sympathize with Tibet.  Glad this has been corrected.  It does seem like Google might have dropped the ball a little on this.  What's funny is I can log in and post to my Blogger account, but i frequently cannot view my Blog.  Oh that wacky blocking software.

Tricster

• Extern
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 09:43:41 AM
Thanks Steve! I had just lost my HD this past week and thus all of my yet unlistened to podcasts. It's good to be able to get them again!

Zathras

Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 01:24:15 PM
Just a request.  Can you post something to the feed so that we'll know if it's up and running again?

mmaris

• Extern
Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 10:55:32 PM
Thanks for the update, Steve.  I think the feeds have converted cleanly at this point.  I didn't need to change anything, and Escape Pod (at least) is now updating for me in iTunes.  No new episodes of the other two yet, but it looks promising (no error messages now).

As irritating as this may have been, it appears that Escape Artists fared somewhat better than some other producers.  Chris Lester suffered the same problem with his Metamor City podcast feed; however, it seemed a bit more drastic over there.  In any case, iTunes didn't pick up the change automatically on that feed, and I had to resubscribe to that podcast from scratch to clean up the mess.

Anyway, thanks again for the update, and thanks for all your other hard work!  We all appreciate it!!

regards,
Mark