Author Topic: a challenge to Steve  (Read 14136 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 01:44:07 PM
Some of the IED removal bots are really quite good.  They aim them at the thing and let them go. 

What about the battlefield robot that can fuel itself with whatever bio material happens to be available.  It's named EATR (eater).  Of course FoxNews started screaming that it would eat dead soldiers.

Personally I say we need a good dead eating robot, especially for when the zombie attacks come.  If they have been eaten by a robot, they can't reanimate.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 03:06:12 PM
It's named EATR (eater).  Of course FoxNews started screaming that it would eat dead soldiers.

Probably just wasn't built by a company owned wholly by Conservative PAC contributors who've already sewn up that no bid contract, then.

Praxis

Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 03:39:30 PM
It's not false, as I don't mean that there is NO coverage in the media.  Rather that, given the very big advances in this sort of tech, and especially the fact that it/they are being used already in war and conflict zones, I'd have thought it would be talked about....preeety much all of the time.

On the 'an advance is not a breakthrough' - I'm not sure what would count as a breakthrough as any behaviour or ability of any sort would have an already existing equivalent, albeit at a simpler level perhaps, that could be seen as the development point.
I suppose if aliens appear and have their own AI's then we might see something truly new but I suspect that it would have elements of that species own behaviour and abilities, too.

There ain't nothing new under the sun(s). (who said that originally?)