Author Topic: Star Trek Movie (Spoiler Thread)  (Read 20032 times)

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 03:01:37 AM
So did all previous Trek (except Enterprise, I guess) get wiped out of existence by the timeline shift in this movie?  Or do the previous timeline and the new one now exist side-by-side?

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 03:50:02 AM
It's an alternate reality, like the evil mustache one.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 04:33:48 PM
So did all previous Trek (except Enterprise, I guess) get wiped out of existence by the timeline shift in this movie?  Or do the previous timeline and the new one now exist side-by-side?

I thought the old spock said something about "his" timeline still existing. This was just a new reality borne due to spock's actions of going through the rift, or whatever.

The alternate reality also addresses the whole nurse chapel thing. Obviously due to things falling as they did, Nurse Chapel never made it aboard in this reality. I agree that the Spock/Uhura thing was evil and wrong, but I chose to ignore it in favor of the rest of the awesomeness :p

izzardfan

Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 09:44:11 PM
I agree that the Spock/Uhura thing was evil and wrong, but I chose to ignore it in favor of the rest of the awesomeness :p

Maybe it was the acting, maybe it's because I never liked the Nurse Chapel/Spock thing, but I enjoyed Spock and Uhura and saw it as thoroughly logical and enjoyable....  and right.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 10:07:02 PM
Likewise, the interplay felt unforced and natural.  I especially liked Uhura telling Spock she's been assigned to the Enterprise and Spock giving in, and the 'I need everyone to continue to perform admirably.' conversation.  There's a huge amount of emotion in that line and Quinto not only does a good job of showing Spock JUST letting a tiny crack of it out but Zoe Saldana does a great job of showing Uhura reading not only what Spock's said, but what he hasn't said.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
I can't explain it exactly, but I loved Spock and Uhura hooking up. It just felt completely natural to me. I also LOVED that Uhura never hooked up with Kirk. And the expression he had when she and Spock were kissing on the transporter floor was hilarious.

Kirk: Nyota?

Spock: I do not wish to discuss the matter any further.

zerocrossing

• Extern
Reply #31 on: May 18, 2009, 10:28:45 PM
From a geek standpoint... when you eject the warp core, don't you drop out of warp and get sucked into the black hole? Just sayin'.

The only plot point that was truly not believable to me was this one: "hey, Jim, you can be second-in-command even though you're only like 21 or 22 and haven't even graduated the academy, because I thought your dad was awesome-sauce".

George Kirk dying with "I love you" on his lips just about killed me.

My dad summed it up best: "If this is the last thing they ever do on TV or film with Star Trek, I'll be happy with the way they left the series."

I totally agree, the science of Star Trek... well... let's just say I was so happy they didn't go into an explanation of "red matter."  Also, while you're back in time, why muck about trying to destroy Vulcan and their pals and just head on over to Romulus and say, "Hey, the reason I have this rock'n ship...  oh heads up on this star wiping us out in a bit."

That said, I loved every moment of it and I'm taking some friends to see it tomorrow night.  I've felt this weird shame of being a Star Trek fan for a long time.  I can let my Federation of Planets flag fly at work (MMO Game company) but outside let's face it, it's a joke.  Now I feel I can hold my head up high and say, "This is what we're talking about!"  That was the Star Trek I saw in my head when I was 5.

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 02:10:16 AM
Seriously, my major complaint with the movie was that it was overdoing the JJ Abrams cinematography — Close focusing to show off bokeh/use of large and/or medium format lenses and LF film, lens flare in every shot, blowing out highlights.

Flashing lights + me do not mix well.  Toward the end of the movie I could feel the Evil this brings out in me coming on...I canna take it, Cap’n.

-Bones.  The big three were all incredibly strong but Karl Urban was just spookily good.

Oh, man, Karl Heinz Urban rocked his role hard.

And in the interest of being a completely pedantic nerd, I'd like to point out that the Klingon vessels being used in the Kobayashi Maru test were NOT Warbirds. Romulans use Warbirds. Technically those were D-7 Battlecruisers.

Why is it that, when I hear you geek out like this, I imagine you slyly stroking your Tribble in true Blofeld-style?

The alternate reality also addresses the whole nurse chapel thing. Obviously due to things falling as they did, Nurse Chapel never made it aboard in this reality.

I could’ve sworn I heard somebody call out Chapel’s name when Bones was first dragging Kirk into the sick bay...but then again I have been known to hear things...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:19:26 AM by Portrait in Flesh »

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 03:54:58 AM
I liked the movie pretty well although I did have to turn my brain off for a couple parts... particularly the red matter stuff for several reasons I mean come on did any one involved in this movie stop and think of what creating a black hole a few dozen miles over a planet would do? black holes suck from my understanding at least... did I miss something??? [/rant]

worth seeing for sure if you can look past a few things here and there

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

izzardfan

Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 07:22:45 AM
I liked the movie pretty well although I did have to turn my brain off for a couple parts... particularly the red matter stuff for several reasons I mean come on did any one involved in this movie stop and think of what creating a black hole a few dozen miles over a planet would do? black holes suck from my understanding at least... did I miss something??? [/rant]

Check out my post here where I posted a link to an article debunking the science, and this is discussed, IIRC

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 01:11:07 PM
The alternate reality also addresses the whole nurse chapel thing. Obviously due to things falling as they did, Nurse Chapel never made it aboard in this reality.

I could’ve sworn I heard somebody call out Chapel’s name when Bones was first dragging Kirk into the sick bay...but then again I have been known to hear things...

You heard it.

I agree that the Spock/Uhura thing was evil and wrong, but I chose to ignore it in favor of the rest of the awesomeness :p

Maybe it was the acting, maybe it's because I never liked the Nurse Chapel/Spock thing, but I enjoyed Spock and Uhura and saw it as thoroughly logical and enjoyable....  and right.

Well, if you read the books -- which are obviously NOT canon -- you find that Uhura is actually pretty damn smart -- linguist, technically savvy, etc. And even on the show she is a very round character (comparatively), what with her interest in music and all.

I believe Star Trek's alternate timelines are not like Back to the Future's -- in many alternate timelines of Trek, the characters affected retain some memory of what happened -- Guinan (Yesterday's Enterprise), Worf (Parallels), etc. I think this is intended to explain why Spock didn't just disappear.

Plus this allows Pocket Books to continue licensing novels up through 129 years after ST:Abrams and gives Keith RA DeCandido something to do *eg*.

it's making SO much money you know there's a sequel being assembled as we write this...

It was greenlit before the movie hit theaters.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 06:10:12 PM

You do realize in one of the other movies they did a slingshot around the sun to go back in time and kidnap some humpback whales, right? I don't know that scientific accuracy has ever been one of Trek's strong suits...

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 07:27:45 PM

You do realize in one of the other movies they did a slingshot around the sun to go back in time and kidnap some humpback whales, right? I don't know that scientific accuracy has ever been one of Trek's strong suits...

Slingshotting around the sun was invented in the 60s. Orci said that doesn't work as long as he's writing Trek, so that's one thing off the table at least.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #38 on: May 22, 2009, 12:01:18 AM

I did not realize that they did the slingshot thing... I have a confession to make and I will be ducking flying chairs for a while afterwords but to mitigate that as much as I can in advance I do like firefly

I am not a huge trek fanatic or anything like that I have seen most of TOS and a few episodes here and there in some of the others but that is about it until I saw the movie

*ducks and covers*

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #39 on: May 22, 2009, 01:01:31 AM
well as long as you like Firefly, it's all good.

[Don't stab me, stePH. I keed!]

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 12:35:41 PM
*licks pencil point*
*starts to write*
Add to list of red outfits NOT to wear on away missions: Atmospheric re-entry parachute armour.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 03:25:17 PM
*licks pencil point*
*starts to write*
Add to list of red outfits NOT to wear on away missions: Atmospheric re-entry parachute armour.
be sure to include that in the list of people not to let carry important stuff also

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #42 on: June 01, 2009, 01:31:13 AM
Loved the movie.

Bolddeceiver, you make some good points, but Star Trek is cheesy and illogical. 

My beef with the whole Star Trek thing is with how rarely they actually boldly go where no one has gone before. 

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #43 on: June 28, 2009, 05:08:02 AM
I just saw star trek for the 2nd time (it just came out at the local Imax). Oh man, if not as good as the first time it was very close.

*happy geek glee*

and, Chris Pine is so gorgeous. I could fall into those eyes. I hate to sound like a teenager and all that, but I think I'm developing a little crush

augguh pathetic.

Praxis

Reply #44 on: June 28, 2009, 05:13:49 PM
My beef with the whole Star Trek thing is with how rarely they actually boldly go where no one has gone before. 

You mean like setting up a union at WalMart? 
Now, that really would be an adventure worth watching.

;)

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #45 on: June 28, 2009, 10:40:47 PM
i just saw this last weekend when it made a solid fathers' day activity.  it was a lot of fun.

if the science stuff interests you, especially the interaction between a black hole and a planet, the podcast novel singularity is highly recommended.  it's something like a hard science James Bond thriller where a primordial black hole (smaller than the head of a pin) has struck earth.

at that size it tunnels through the planet, orbiting inside of it (something like a spirograph).  the real danger comes once it has settled into the center of the planet where the plant's gravity keeps forcing its mass into the hole, there it consumes the planet much more rapidly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:42:19 PM by deflective »

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 03:38:16 PM
Okay, finally got to see this last night.

Fun, Star Trek through and through; the actors pretty much nailed their parts (Karl Urban in particular).  But I can't help wishing they'd dumped this time-travel angle and just done a straight reboot like in any other remake/restart (like BSG, or Bionic Woman, or Batman Begins).  Why the need to keep it chained to the original series?  I hear they're thinking of getting William Shatner in the next one.  WHY is that necessary?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 07:29:58 PM
WHY is that necessary?

Two words:

Nerd Rage.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #48 on: January 24, 2010, 08:50:38 PM
WHY is that necessary?

Two words:

Nerd Rage.

Plus, there are a lot more Start Trek fans than there were original BSG/Bionic Woman fans. Both of those shows had been off the air for decades before they were restarted, and it made sense to do a reboot where everything was explained again.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #49 on: January 24, 2010, 09:27:42 PM
Fun fact, fact fans, Pocket announced four novels set in the new Trek timeline for this year and...have now postpoened them until after the next movie.  Which is definitely now sometime before the middle of 2012.

Oh also, apparently, the Star Trek MMO is what happens in the original timeline after Romulus is destroyed.

Oh also also?  NO time travel in the next one at all.  Publically stated by the writers I seem to remember, last week.