Author Topic: EP091: The Acid Test  (Read 23598 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 02:27:20 AM
My biggest bone of contention was the idea that he had passed the test. He hadn´t. Not at all. He came back, not out of love for her, but of fear from something else. To then turn your lead character into a ditzhead who didn´t recognise that is to regress to a plot progression tactic that is unflattering and unfulfilling.

No, i think she knew, but as she explained before, she was feeling very guilty around it,  and him coming back was all she wanted, she didn't care at that point if he passed or not.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 08:21:06 PM
Good story, I liked it.  Real Sci Fi!

The story of two morally corrupt people claiming to love each other, when in fact they dont.
You dont have to "test" love.  Love does not leave for intellectual stimuli.

Her act at the end was  guilt driven not love driven.

I didn't hear anything I didn't like, and the reader was good too!

jamesotron

• Extern
Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 02:01:17 AM
Not sure about the story, but I loved hearing Minx doing something completely different to Poly Weekly.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 07:23:46 AM
It was "okay". I would not call it SF though, in spite of the trappings of the alien spacecraft. The one-way trip could just as easily have been a 17th century sea voyage involving indentured servitude or something.

If anything, it reminded me of an O'Henry story.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 01:49:37 AM
I enjoyed this story and found it very creepy. I had a heart to heart with my partner and we solemnly agreed never to sign each other up for alien abduction without discussing it with each other first.

Although as I was leaving the room she said "Although I might ask them to do for a trial run first."

Bloody hell.

This was a cool story. Almost something I would expect to see on Psuedopod for the way she blithely signs him up for the trip. And what a test!!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 04:16:55 PM
I didn't care for this one.  Mostly because I just never gave a crap about the protagonist.  Relationship "tests" like that one drive me nuts.  But I'm of a stubbornheaded mindset that if I perceived my significant other manipulating me with such a test, there would be at the very least harsh words and much distrust as a result.

I realize that people actually do that, but I really prefer to be able to root for the protagonist and if you have the protagonist do this, then at that point the consequences are on her head.

And, Anarkey made some good points, particularly:
-If she's really that much in love, I want it SHOWN to me, not TOLD
-The sacrifice at the end was groanworthy.