Author Topic: I found a place I fit in!  (Read 2629 times)

Zathras

on: June 08, 2009, 09:31:09 PM
Tinkerbell scored us some free tickets to the AIFA Arena Football game Friday night.  It was at the Santa Ana Star Center, which is less than 5 miles from our house.  (Closer, as the crow flies.)

We took our daughters and had fun.  Our team was 1-9 before the game and 1-10 after.  The New Mexico Wildcats suck.  We had a blast.  We bought shirts before the game, and the girls got all the cheerleaders autographs during the game, and a lot of the player's after.  Everyone was very approachable.

When we first walked in, there was a Derby Doll there, handing out schedules.  We decided to go Saturday night.  I had watched Roller Derby when I was little, and I watched Roller Jam on Spike for a while. 

When we got to the Derby, there was a film crew doing interviews.  I doubt our interview will make the cut, as it was poorly executed.  We had a blast.  Our team, the Duke City Munecas Muertes clobbered Dallas's Derby Dolls.  After that, there was a New Mexico league game, and we were rooting for D.I.A. over the Santa Fe Disco Brawlers.

(Russel's recent entry to the picture thread made me think to post this.  Some of the names were quite clever.)

A lot of the players from the Duke City team were on either of the local teams.  Muffin was our favorite, and she was jamming her arse off!  She stopped by and talked to the girls at half time.  We're planning on going back on the 20th, when St Louis comes to town.

There was a lot that went on, and I'll gladly answer any questions that I can.  Tickets to the cheap seats were $12 each for Tink and me, and the girls were free.  Next time, we're getting the $19 floor seats, but that means we have to pay for the girls.

I don't know if there is anything similar near you, but there is a lot of stuff going on that isn't too expensive.  I highly recommend arena football and roller derby. 

Oh, the fitting in thing?  I looked like I belonged at roller derby, and Tinkerbell looked out of place.   :D

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 07:24:13 PM
I used to work for the guy who owned the now-defunct Memphis Pharaohs (arena football team that played in the Pyramid... clever, eh? :)). Actually, i think they were sold to Portland or something. At any rate, we got free tickets all the time, and, while i can't recommend watching it on television, it definitely is a lot of fun actually going to the games.

Wow, just checked wikipedia and memory DID serve correctly. They were sold to Portland, but now they operate in Oklahoma as the Wranglers.

Zathras

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:14:35 PM
Oklahoma hates the Pacific Northwest, I guess.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:12:14 PM
Oklahoma hates the Pacific Northwest, I guess.

We're not very fond of Oklahoma, either  :P

BTW C. J. Cherryh used to live in Oklahoma, but has made her home in Spokane, Washington for the past decade..

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:39:35 AM
A musical flashback - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9CHAMbfZ6A - Leon Russell's Queen of the Roller Derby

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Zathras

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:15:18 PM
Planish, you're on your way to being poster of the month for June, IMO!

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:48:29 AM
Planish, you're on your way to being poster of the month for June, IMO!
For quantity or quality?

Is there a plaque to go with it?

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")