Author Topic: Is Doctor Who a jerk?  (Read 4114 times)

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
on: June 23, 2009, 02:21:59 AM
That's right.  In my book everyone is a jerk.

Second season of David Tennant's Doctor.  The doctor is on modern day Earth (UK, of course) and right before he leaves he hears on the TV someone has announced they are going to "redefine what it means to be human."  The Doctor repeats the phrase disgustedly and decides to go check it out.  A scientist and businessman has invented a way to reverse aging and he demonstrates it on himself.  The doctor does not like this at all.  He accuses him of just wanting to make money and increase the lives of his customers (said with a sneer).  The doctor explains that facing death is what it means to be human.   Now, of course the scientist turns out to be a greedy bastard and used unstable methods that caused a lot of problems and death.  But the Doctor did not know the outcome before he started condemning. 

WTF?!  Sure, the first time the treatment was attempted it ended in disaster, does that mean that no one should try again?  Would the Doctor have stopped the Apollo program, Marie Curie's experiments, the Manhattan Project (nuclear power, not only weapons)  because initially there were deaths?  Would be put the kaibash on penicillin because it extended lives and some people made money?  I find it douchy that the Doctor gets to hobble human technological development while enjoying sonic screwdrivers, psychic paper, space/time ships himself.  And the business with facing death is particularly galling, with him getting as many lives as he needs (yeah, I know it's a certain number.  Do you really think that they won't give him an extension while the show is popular). 

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 06:35:58 AM
i loveeeeeee dr who but you rase an intresting point

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Praxis

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 05:18:27 PM
The reason the Dr would react with such disdain to someone "redefining" what it is to be human is that he sees that we are already brilliant.
flawed and tragic and brave and....well, brilliant.

Someone wanting to 'redefine' this is probably going to be someone who does not appreciate this about humans (since if they did they would see we don't need no redefining, no sir) and, so, the scientist's plan in this case is bound to not end well.

which it doesn't, as it turns out.

Also, being the Dr, he has seen most mistakes played out many many many many ( x 900 years or so) times before.  I mean, look how the Daleks turned out, and they were supposed to be an improved next step originally, too.

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 08:11:54 AM
the Daleks are an improved next step !
i wuld say super hard killing machean is a step up from squigly mutant blob.

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:05:59 AM
I for one welcome our new Dalek Overlords.

I hear they have great medical, vision care, dental, and EXTERMINATION! plans.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 01:43:12 PM
But who wants an overlord who can't even climb up stairs?

I stopped watching the new Doctor Who series after its third season (the whole frigging Tinkerbell ending just turned me off it forever), but as I understood it, they were playing up the "lonely god" aspect of the Doctor. He's the last of the Time Lords. His people were perhaps the most advanced species in the history of the universe, and now they're all gone except him. As a consequence he's somewhat bitter and lonely, and a little envious of humans, as they still have a planet and a thriving civilization and all. His role in the series is something of an unwilling sage; he doesn't want people to look to him for wisdom or advice, but there really isn't anyone else left they can look to. He's the only person who can fix things when they go wrong, but his heart isn't really in it any more.

That's what I got out of it anyway. That, and the horror of Billie Piper's British teeth...

"Technology: a word we use to describe something that doesn't work yet."

- Douglas Adams

http://www.thereviewpit.com
http://thesuburbsofhell.blogspot.com

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 03:02:47 PM
Billie Piper wasn't in season 3.  You have to give her credit though.  Even with those teeth, she was really cute.  Watch "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" if you don't believe me.  Of course with that one you have to wonder how she handles it being five months pregnant.

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 05:07:04 PM
But who wants an overlord who can't even climb up stairs?

Because they're kick ass plumbers, that's why.

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 01:34:11 PM
Mario and Luigi handle all my plumbing needs.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 11:32:39 PM
You trust a couple of turtle-abusing 'shroom-heads around your plumbing?

"Technology: a word we use to describe something that doesn't work yet."

- Douglas Adams

http://www.thereviewpit.com
http://thesuburbsofhell.blogspot.com

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 12:04:28 AM
You trust a couple of turtle-abusing 'shroom-heads around your plumbing?

They haven't let me down yet.  I just wish they'd leave Kirby at home.  He creeps me out.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising