Author Topic: stePH puts up  (Read 10606 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
on: August 25, 2009, 12:40:52 AM
I'm volunteering my services as a potential EA narrator.  As an "audition tape" I've recorded a reading of the short story "Come On, Wagon!" by Zenna Henderson.  (If EA were to run it, it would almost certainly be on Podcastle.)

(The closing music is myself and some friends free-improvising on June 20, 1992.  I played bass.)

[edit]
File size 15,954 kilobytes, running time 17 minutes even.

[edit]
Removed link to file; use the link to the re-recorded file below.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:51:03 PM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 07:59:59 AM
Send a link to this thread directly to the editors of the casts you want to read for.  They don't always get around to the regular threads.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:00:10 PM
Send a link to this thread directly to the editors of the casts you want to read for.  They don't always get around to the regular threads.

dun.

Any critique of my reading, from anybody who cares to download and listen, is also welcome here.  Associates on the C.J. Cherryh fansite Shejidan had generally positive feedback on my recording of Cyteen's first chapter; I'd be interested to get the POV of a different crowd.

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 08:01:51 AM
I only listened to a bit.  Technically it was good; sound level, background noise, and such; but you breathing was pretty loud.  I'm going to guess that a pop filter(is that what it's called) would fix that.  Your voice and tone were good, but the reading seemed a little fast and a little flat.  Kind of the same as Al's were when he started reading for PP.

I think with only a little work you could become a very good reader.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:25:25 PM
I only listened to a bit.  Technically it was good; sound level, background noise, and such; but you breathing was pretty loud.  I'm going to guess that a pop filter(is that what it's called) would fix that. 
I used a cheap gaming headset mic; I need to work on placing it better.  I actually put a pop filter on my microphone; it's made from a piece of wire garment hanger and sheer nylon bootie.  Or I could use the much larger filter; this one's just big enough to block the mic.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:21:51 AM
affixed larger stocking-filter to mic.  Breathing noise and plosives almost completely absent from test recordings.  ("t"s more prominent than "p"s)

Apparently having a filter only-slightly-larger-than-the-mic did nothing to block nasal exhalations going over the top of it.  Who knew?   ::)

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 03:20:59 PM
That was it.  It sounded like air going over the top of a tube.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:32:47 PM
Hmmm ... over a week, and not even so much as an acknowledgment from any of the editors.  Maybe EA has all the readers they want, and doesn't need my help?

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 01:54:59 AM
Just be patient. It takes them a while. I offered my services some time back and haven't really heard from them again. I'm kinda guessing they're busy with all the reorganisation and stuff and have bigger fish to fry.

I'm doing some LibriVox recordings in the meantime to try improve my technique or whatever it's called ;-)

I'm also half suspecting they'd prefer "names" to read -- people who already have a profile by: having a popular podcast; have a track record of reading elsewhere; being a "voice professional".

BTW EA, this is in no way a critique or sour grapes -- just pure speculation on my part.

FWIW Steph, I'll have a listen to your stuff.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 04:21:16 AM
FWIW Steph, I'll have a listen to your stuff.

I'm considering doing a re-record so as to have a better version without breath noise (and a better reading in general).

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 04:59:32 AM
i can do a killer reading of anything by Dr. Seuss.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 05:25:14 AM
But see, Nash, now you're competing with the likes of Rev. Jesse Jackson.  I mean, I haven't heard your rendition of Green Eggs and Ham, but I'm hazarding a guess you're way out of your depth here, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPy2alWEZ-U

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 06:37:39 AM
I'm considering doing a re-record so as to have a better version without breath noise (and a better reading in general).

k, then, one suggestion if you don't mind. Slow down a little. Catching, processing and interpreting the spoken word takes more effort that the written word and I had a little trouble with the speed.

I'm old, though.

Russell Nash

Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 06:58:36 AM
But see, Nash, now you're competing with the likes of Rev. Jesse Jackson.  I mean, I haven't heard your rendition of Green Eggs and Ham, but I'm hazarding a guess you're way out of your depth here, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPy2alWEZ-U

He was just parodying himself.  He wasn't serving the material.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 08:10:09 AM
Kibitzer, email or PM me, reminding me which sound sample is yours (your real name should do it)?

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 08:12:05 AM
(Checks notes) Yeah, Kibitzer, unless you're Doug Lain (and I'm pretty sure you aren't), then I don't have a record of you. That might mean that I lost track of your volunteer email.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 08:16:35 AM
Steph, if you do a rerecording, I'd like to see you interact more with the material -- not in a cutesy way, but you did not seem, to me, to be narratively interpreting the material so much as just sort of reading. I'd suggest thinking more about varying intonation. Also, the new mic might clean this up, but there were noises between your sentences that I wasn't fond of.

Let me know if you do another recording and I'll take another listen.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 12:13:21 PM
Rachel, it's not you I contacted. But I will. Look out!

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 12:40:59 AM
Re-recorded and posted.  New running time 19:11 (I took it a little slower) and file size is 17,990K.

[edit]
and you can download it here.  I appended the old file's outro to the end.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:42:43 AM by stePH »

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 01:18:31 AM
Hiya Steph.

Listened all the way through this time. Good story, I enjoyed it very much.

Also, enjoyed your reading. I think the pace was better this time -- a little slower still wouldn't hurt. Also, maybe some pauses between the story transitions -- like when it moves from Christmas to the passing of years for the narrator (Hope that makes sense). But overall, good.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 03:35:56 AM
Also, enjoyed your reading. I think the pace was better this time -- a little slower still wouldn't hurt. Also, maybe some pauses between the story transitions -- like when it moves from Christmas to the passing of years for the narrator (Hope that makes sense). But overall, good.

That's good.  I'll keep it in mind for future readings if EA offers me any stories.

[edit]
My copy didn't have a double-space between transitions like some stories do when printed.  I'll just have to look out for where they should be if the publisher didn't think to include them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:03:38 AM by stePH »