Author Topic: Well, it's been a year... (A short note of thanks)  (Read 4108 times)

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
on: August 28, 2009, 12:03:04 AM
Hi Escape Podders! One year ago, right about now, I was recovering from emergency open heart surgery. One of the first things I saw when I came out of the medicine-sleep-ees was a huge purple and blue bouquet of flowers from Steve Eley and Escape Pod. The second thing I saw was a gnarly scar that runs the length of my sternum and enough tubes, wires, and doo-dads putting things into and taking things out of me to make a Borg cosplay fan-film.

Once news of my condition spread from my hospital room to the greater world, courtesy of my wife Cindy, Steve immediately began a fundraiser to help offset the bills my surgery would generate. As he said, and as it still holds true today, I was - I am - uninsured. He (and you all) managed to raise almost five thousand dollars in only a few short weeks. That money went to heating my house, paying my rent, feeding my kids, and helping to stabilize things as I slowly recovered (12 weeks is a very long time) and resumed my search for employment.

In this past year I've accomplished several milestones, none of which I would have been able to achieve without your monetary, spiritual, and artistic generosity.

I gave up smoking and took up running. I dropped some weight in flab and put it back in in lean muscle. I found some short term contract work. I wrote more Union Dues and Pleasant Hollow stories... though not much else as I had to learn to write without smoking, which was less difficult than I ever imagined it would be.

Seriously, if you smoke, quit. Don't wait until you're being carved open like a roast rabbit.

My kids are happy, and healthy, they are thrilled to have a dad who is both alive, and sports a clean bill of health, not only for a cardiac patient, but health that is exceptional for a non-cardiac patient of my age. (The Gym membership Santa brought me for Christmas has been stupendous.) My wife has a husband who can work, and walk, and do yard stuff, and run, and dance, and be romantic (nudge nudge) without gasping for breath. I have friend and Hapkido teacher who has a red-belt in class that with the stamina now to handle the black belt test, and can do more wind sprints than the kids on the high school football team.

And I have them, and all of you, to thank for it.

I like to think I'm pretty good with words, but sometimes it's impossible to say clearly what so clearly needs to be said.

And sometimes the best I can manage is - thanks.

Jeffrey R. DeRego
Go Union!

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 12:29:34 AM
wow! so overly glad to hear everything is well!  there are so many people who go through essentially the same thing and DON'T change anything about how they live, and it makes me happy that you are not one of those people!  Keep on keepin on man!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Jason M

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:36:54 AM
Glad to hear you are well.

WRITE MORE UNION DUES!

It's really a shame that you had to go through what you did to change things.

WRITE MORE PLEASANT HOLLOW.

It's also really good that you are urging others to change.

NEW HAMPSHIRE ISN'T THAT BIG OF A STATE.  WE CAN FIND YOU.

Stay healthy and happy.   ;D

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 02:34:33 AM
Congrats - I went through the same thing myself a few years back - glad you bounced back!

That first post-op sneeze is a bitch, huh?

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 02:39:43 AM
Congrats - I went through the same thing myself a few years back - glad you bounced back!

Not as bad as the cough. Or laughing at Family Guy.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 02:45:17 AM
Great to hear you're back up and at 'em. Congrats on the smokes!  I'm still having a bit of trouble with that.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 03:21:04 AM
That is so good to hear! thanks for the update! Continue to be well. :)

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 03:02:20 PM

You laugh at Family Guy  ???

Great to hear your doing well.  Also good to realize, that the reason you weren't sitting on your ass writing posts here, was that you were out running your ass off. 

I hope Obamacare can get you covered sometime soon. 

Keep fighting the fight.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 03:22:40 PM

You don't?? o.O

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 09:19:56 PM

Great to hear your doing well.  Also good to realize, that the reason you weren't sitting on your ass writing posts here, was that you were out running your ass off. 

I hope Obamacare can get you covered sometime soon. 

Keep fighting the fight.

While in the hospital, the episode where Peter and the gang go see Barry Manilow was possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen. It also hurt like crazy to laugh at it.