Author Topic: EP085: Merry Christmas from the Heartbreakers  (Read 4407 times)

Russell Nash

on: September 09, 2009, 08:45:39 PM
EP085: Merry Christmas from the Heartbreakers

By Mur Lafferty.
Read by Stephen and Anna Eley.

"Look, I think I know where this is going,” Kris Kringle said, but Gingermuffin cut him off.

“Do you? The Heartbreakers have been making Tom Petty sound good for years, and no one gives a damn. Tom Petty gets all of the credit.”

Kris wondered if he was sober enough to have this discussion. “You’re not talking about Tom Petty.”

Gingermuffin slammed his hand down on the table. “Damn right I’m not!” Kris’s carefully stacked poker chips fell over in a clatter of Christmas.

Rated R. Contains profanity, violence, and the puncturing of childhood myths. Merry Christmas!

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 02:15:04 PM
Awesome.  I listen to it every Christmastime.  It's the only one of Lafferty's Xmas stories that I come back to.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 04:36:21 PM
I just love the idea of labor problems in Santa's sweat shop.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:48:15 PM
I liked it!  I'm looking forward to when the recording for her Xmas 2009 tale is re-recorded.

Much of the story's coolness came from the Santa/Tom Petty analog.  Very fun.  And the name Ginger Muffin made me giggle--mostly because it reminded me of "Ginger Balls" which Brett and Jemaine sometimes call Murray on Flight of the Conchords.  :)