Author Topic: Pseudopod 115: Clockwork  (Read 14501 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 05:13:45 PM
Loved it!

After I listened to the story I realized that... not a lot really happened, which is usually something I complain about.  But the philosophy and the comic snippets kept me enthralled. 

Am I the only one that now wants to buy the complete Horologe collection?  :D

Lots of great imagery, the flashforwards and flashbacks worked well with the cyclical time theme.

And, my new favorite quotation:
"The moment of my death signifies nothing, except that I have lived."

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 04:44:12 AM
The stuff with the Horologe (sp?) comics worked really well, I think, but I was less impressed with the children's book bit that was put in, perhaps because Ben overplayed the voice a little.

Heh, a very polite way to put it.  I was wondering how that bit was going to go over.  A children's book narrator I am not.

*shrug* That part worked for me just fine. Very dark Seussian. Like the narration for the Grinch. Or maybe that creepy-ass Seuss segment of The Maxx. Then again I have a soft spot in my heart for children's literature, and if it happens to be dark all the better. The story was pretty, but a little too much Dream Cycle in my Maxx for my tastes.

I think it's also worth mentioning that this is one of the stories bumped by Wil Wheaton.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:46:50 AM by Fenrix »

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 08:17:38 PM
If there are two things I like most in horror, they are:

(1) Nightmare edifices.
(2) Unspeakably grotesque monsters.

This story did the nightmare edifice justice, with a wonderful fake background story and a compelling image.  The story reminded me of the Victorian Age idea of "influencing machines" (particularly the "Air Loom") in the way the Citadel had a strange, remote hold over the protagonist.

Likewise, I appreciated the message: stop fretting and analyzing your life, or you'll never live.  A good message about overcoming the fear of death.  Something we should all take to heart.

All that being said, there were some parts that I didn't like: the fear of death alone providing the motivating force made this story heavy on imagery, but light on plot.  A more direct source of tension, such as inheriting the same disease as his father, might have helped.  I also thought the comic book scenes made the story goofy and undermined, rather than illuminated it.

An okay piece, but not great.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.