Author Topic: The Best of Star Ship Sofa  (Read 10059 times)

LarrySantoro

• Extern
    • Bluffton in the Driftless
on: September 11, 2009, 05:26:27 PM
Tony C. Smith at the StarShipSofa.com has announced that the Bristish podcast site is about to publish its first ink and paper book, StarShipSofa StoriesSSS S will be available -- hopefully -- on the date of the StarShip's 100th 'cast.  That's in a few weeks.

I'm particularly happy about this because my Little Girl Down the Way, originally published in HELL IN THE HEARTLAND (Annihilation Press, 2008, edited by Roger Dale Trexler and Martel Sardina) is one of 15 stories in it.  LITTLE GIRL...  is nested in there with the likes of Gene Wolfe, Michael Moorcock, Elizabeth Bear, Cory Doctorow, et al!  Stop by and take a look, have a listen.  For more information...  http://www.starshipsofa.com/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 05:31:22 PM by LarrySantoro »

Lawrence Santoro -- writer/director
Larry@LarrySantoro.com
Come blog with me: 
http://blufftoninthedriftless.blogspot.com
"…at once diabolical and redemptive, as all great works of dark tale-tellin

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:34:54 PM
Wow Larry, you waited for your tenth post before spamming us.

If I thought you were a real spammer; all of your posts would have been deleted, your account would have been deleted, and your IP address would have been banned.  We really don't like spammers around here. 

Next time a lot less "late night ad from RonCo" and a little more "hey, guess what I heard."
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 06:47:23 PM by Russell Nash »

LarrySantoro

• Extern
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:56:55 PM
Sorry, Russell.  I wouldn't spam and I do not consider this to be spam since it's about a book that's about to come out, one that is probably of specific interest to peoplle who enjoy s.f. podcasts.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:00:34 PM by LarrySantoro »

Larry@LarrySantoro.com
Come blog with me: 

Praxis

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:01:49 PM
Russell, are you joking here?

otherwise you're being just a bit harsh, maybe.

eytanz

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:13:20 PM
Russell, are you joking here?

otherwise you're being just a bit harsh, maybe.

I'm pretty sure that "a bit harsh" is Russell's middle name.

Praxis

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:21:11 PM
"Acting a bit harsh", certainly.   :P

goatkeeper

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 06:37:38 AM
Haha.  ya.  Middle name.  Spam.  Wait, what's going on?  There ya go.  This thread will hopefully go on for awhile. 
Yay Tony!

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 09:09:17 AM
OK guys, I was a little harsh, but the fact that larry still has an account shows I was being nice.  My comment was more that Larry placed a late night TV ad instead of just a friendly notice. 

We have a lot of new folks coming to the forums right now.  If I can take someone, who can take a joke (I'm looking at you Kibitzer), and give them a light smack for a minor infringement, it let's the newbies know where the lines are. 

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:27:17 AM
if he was selling something to increase my girth  then it mite have bean spam,
i love hearing about pod casters getting in to print :-(

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 09:46:42 AM
I actually agree with Nash, at least a bit; if I hadn't recognized the username and icon from another thread, I'd have assumed this post was someone from Mechanical Turk or something, here to ad-blast this and any other writing forum they could find with a C&Ped advert.  It just sounds very... well, spammy in tone.

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 11:21:13 AM
Scattercat, here's that fiver we talked about.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 02:00:19 PM
Shh!  Not here, not here!

Jeez, some people...

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 03:23:59 PM
Or is it just placement of the news that was "inappropriate".  Not everybody may be aware that the forums have a place for individual writing progress and announcements here.  They are not meant to be commercials, though, but just to keep us accountable.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 03:30:45 PM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

LarrySantoro

• Extern
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 06:58:53 PM
I’m not a fisherman.  My father, was.  In that way that people with passions have of viewing their personal joys, he would take me, holidays and birthdays, to some river or lake and sit me down, bank or boat, and get me to be quiet, observant of water and the signs of fish.  I accepted his efforts in the spirit which he offered them.  They were generosity.  He was giving something of himself.

I never learned to like the sport.

Later, much later, I was watching something on late night television.  As a constant, interrupting every 12 minutes, was Ron Popeil.  Among other things, he was hawking his dad’s invention, the Popeil Pocket Fisherman, an item at the time I thought was about the niftiest thing I’d ever seen.   I was still young, and this was a long-ago part of the old century and there were few marvels abroad in the world.

Okay?  I hated commercials that interrupted “Citizen Kane” and “Rocketship X-M”.  Still…that thing, the little thing you could stick in the glove compartment and which took the place of the whole trunkload and backseatful of stuff my dad and I trundled and packed before setting forth on what I knew would be a long day of bobbing and sweating and silence…  Well, that was worth a few minutes.

Later, when I reached the age of being a fully realized self-seeking smug American male, I thought, “why not just tell him?  Say, ‘I don’t like fishing.’  There it is.”  I didn’t.  Anyway, by then, he was no longer insisting I go with him.

Later still, I was glad that I hadn’t.  I would have missed having to sit in a boat or on a bank, the silence and the seeking for fish signs with my dad, whom I wouldn’t have for too many more years.  The Pocket Fisherman?  I bought one.  Not from a late night pitch by Ron on behalf of his dad’s invention.  I found one at a yard sale.  Bought it.  Loved it.  Used it to cast lead sinkers in the yard.  I got good.  I had it for years.  I never fished with it.  Finally, it was beautiful.  And it represented the bright edge of a long-remembered gift from my father.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:49:29 AM by LarrySantoro »

Larry@LarrySantoro.com
Come blog with me: 

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 07:46:31 PM
ace :-)

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 12:13:15 AM
OK guys, I was a little harsh, but the fact that larry still has an account shows I was being nice.  My comment was more that Larry placed a late night TV ad instead of just a friendly notice. 

We have a lot of new folks coming to the forums right now.  If I can take someone, who can take a joke (I'm looking at you Kibitzer), and give them a light smack for a minor infringement, it let's the newbies know where the lines are. 

Holy thought police, Batman!  As a newbie myself I have to say that I was taken aback and turned off by Russell's response to Larry.  What is this, Communist China, where the censor publicly shames the citizen and then points to "how nice he is" for not taking punitive action?

I thought Escape Pod was about celebrating and sharing and supporting great fiction writers.   When an author like Larry has news that someone is putting out a new anthology of stories, and he is extra proud because one of his stories is in it, I absolutely want to know.

And, when I saw the scolding about spam I thought it must be because Larry's notice was posted mid-thread in an Episode discussion.  But, it was not only not posted in an episode discussion, IT WAS ITS OWN ENTIRELY NEW TOPIC IN THE "SCIENCE FICTION DISCUSSION" section of the Forum!   The only people who would read it would be people who are interested to find out what "The Best of Star Ship Sofa" means!

At the risk of having my own account deleted for speaking up in a way that might offend the censor, Russell's two responses to Larry felt like nothing more than a petty power display of political correctness, designed to intimidate . . . oh wait . . . Russell already acknowledged that is exactly what it was intended to be.

goatkeeper

Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 02:48:50 AM
Ha, well let's not swing too far in the other direction with that kind of Big Brotherist nonsense.

Here are the truths so far:
1.  There is a very obvious place called Writers Forum established for exactly this kind of advertisement.  This post was perhaps misplaced from the beginning, if only in a minor, forgivable way.
2.  This ad did very much read as spam on first viewing.  Spam is evil, it's everywhere and certainly sneakier than ever these days, especially on these forums.
3.  Russell was overly cantankerous, but that's the Russell we all know and love, and he even acknowledged it this time.  For him that almost counts as an apology for it.

So with those bits of understanding I think everyone should all check out Starship Sofa because it rocks and then toilet paper Russell's car because you love him and it's fun as hell to aggravate the people you love.  Then we can all start debating good 1 on 1 cage fight matchups between members of the EA Forums community.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 03:41:22 AM
It doesn't do much for your argument when you compare moderators on private sites to government censors. Last I checked, Russell doesn't wield the hammer of the law. You can rest safely assured that those whose speech is not permitted here may speak that speech elsewhere, in other private and public locations. You may also rest assured that no one is going to prison. I'm not sure whether this argument bothers me more because it's effectively a Godwin-by-another-name or because it reflects a fundamental misunderstanding of the first amendment (assuming the person making the argument is American).

On a different subject -- congratulations to Starship Sofa for its upcoming anthologized adventures. I'll do my best to remember to pick up a copy.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 04:27:58 AM
Is Communist China the new Godwin?

Russell Nash

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 05:31:21 AM
I love all of the extra attention the anthology is getting because of this discussion.

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 11:48:00 AM

It doesn't do much for your argument when you compare moderators on private sites to government censors. Last I checked, Russell doesn't wield the hammer of the law.

I made the government analogy because Russell's post made perfectly clear that in this world, he absolutely *does* wield the hammer of law:  If you do something to anger him, your account is deleted and your IP address is banned.   (Also, his identity title under his name identifies him as "deity" of something and an "autarch," which is an "absolute and dictatorial ruler."  Hint taken!)

Right now this concept isn't a big deal but at some point in the future, I suspect it will be.  At some point we may have robust virtual worlds where large numbers of people spend huge amounts of time and money in near-perfect physical representations of themselves (think of a huge holodeck owned by a large corporation, where people spend 12 hours a day several days per week).  When that happens, and the owner/moderator bans someone, it may not be long before the Supreme Court finds a way to apply the First Amendment against the owner/operators of that world in a way similar to how, in 1931, the Court interpreted the 14th Amendment as "incorporating" the First Amendment apply against state governments.   (Prior to that time the First Amendment only protected citizens from the Federal Government.)   

Interestingly, there have been many courts that have rules that mall owners and corporations that own entire factory towns both have quasi-government obligations when they allow their properties to be used as "town squares."   The California Supreme Court has held that the free speech clause of its state constitution, like that of New Jersey, mandates access to private malls.  This has caused all sorts of drama.  (Interesting article here: http://www.reason.com/news/show/29728.html

Anyway, I hope *someday* the EP Forums become so popular and huge that they become the de facto place for a huge quantity of public discourse.   Until then it is good to know that Russell is lovable but cantankerous.   This place is obviously thriving and I'm honored to be a small part of it.

By the way, I'm not familiar with the Godwin-by-another-name concept.  What is it?

Russell Nash

Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 12:34:37 PM
Way for this to spin out of control. 

First thing, this is not an open public area.  This is a privately owner internet forum that requires membership for anyone who wants to post. 

Second, It is not a democracy (more later).  These forums were ruled by a Benevolent Dictator by the name of Steve Eley.  He set down to rules:

1) Have Fun
2) Treat the writers, readers, and posters with respect

The zeroth rule has always been NO SPAM. 

Steve recently hand-picked his successor and elevated Ben Phillips to the position of Benevolent Dictator.  Ben, Looking at the rash of spam contaminating his land, elevated three of his enforcers.  We; Heradel, Bdoomed, and I; were made Autarchs and given the mandate to ruthlessly remove all Spam.  We had always removed Spam posts before, but now we were to hunt down the offenders, remove them, and make sure they don't come back. 

In the history of these forums one person has been removed for non-spam activity.  On top of personally attacking people on the forums, he signed up for a second account, so he could agree with himself.

Not a single person has been removed for pissing me off, even though quite a few of them have.

About 1600 Spam accounts have been deleted.  Only one of them had posted more than 3 posts.  He had received 5 warning PMs from me before he was removed.  Not one of them has been an active member, who posted something like Larry did.  This is not because Larry was the first.  It's because it wasn't a banning offense.

My comment on Larry's post said I didn't really consider his post Spam, because I would have removed Spam.  It said Less RonCo ad, more friendly notice.  I laid out what we do to real spammers around here.  This was because I didn't want anybody else to get deleted and then wonder why. 

(More on Democracy)  In a democracy people may walk around trying to sell their stuff constantly, or can stand in front of a bookstore and try to talk to everybody about the evils of cole slaw.  That's not how things work here.  We take some of your rights away to make this a more enjoyable place.  If you want to rant about the evils of cole slaw, we pick you up and move you to the salad bar in the supermarket.  If you try to sell stuff to people, we kick you right out.

My Deity status is through TCoRN, which has no affiliation with EA, although it was founded here.  Do a search if you want the story.  It gives me no extra bit of power here, but does allow me to answer any prayers sent to me on the back of a $100 Bill.  Special priority is given to any prayers on the back of a 100€ Bill.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 12:49:35 PM
By the way, I'm not familiar with the Godwin-by-another-name concept.  What is it?

Godwin's Law essentially says that the longer an online discussion goes, the more probable it is that someone will make a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis.  To get the full history, go here.

Rachel was saying that Communism is experiencing a similar phenomenon.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 01:20:33 PM
(Also, his identity title under his name identifies him as "deity" of something and an "autarch," which is an "absolute and dictatorial ruler."  Hint taken!)

I started a new topic here to provide answers to these questions, and hopefully others as they come along.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 08:08:35 PM
thou who shalt disobey the Word of N-sh shall be smitten in His name.

Russell wasn't completely out of line, it just seemed way out of line for one word.
Wow

i think without that or the first line for that matter this wouldn't have seemed that bad.
this did belong in the writing boards rather than the science fiction discussion boards.

It doesn't do much for your argument when you compare moderators on private sites to government censors. Last I checked, Russell doesn't wield the hammer of the law.
no, but we do have a pretty impressive banhammer. :P

speaking of which, no one should have any fear of being banned because of speaking out against the mods.  you need only fear the banhammer if you spam or directly insult someone.  there's a difference between challenging opinion/moderation and insulting a moderator, or anyone else for that matter.  All we really want is for everyone to be polite... and spam-free.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 04:05:55 AM
Looking forward to SSS's 100th episode and will be buying the book.  Wouldn't mind hearing Tony C. Smith back on EP sometime, either.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Praxis

Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 01:18:44 PM
speaking of which, no one should have any fear of being banned because of speaking out against the mods.

Yay!!

you need only fear the banhammer if you spam or directly insult someone.

Awww.....

What about insulting one of the Mods?  They can take it, they've got banhammers and everything.

Russell Nash

Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 05:10:09 PM
speaking of which, no one should have any fear of being banned because of speaking out against the mods.

Yay!!

you need only fear the banhammer if you spam or directly insult someone.

Awww.....

What about insulting one of the Mods?  They can take it, they've got banhammers and everything.

Beware, we can also change your title.

Praxis

Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 06:21:22 PM
Beware, we can also change your title.

I don't see how.  It was gotten via a miracle, Steve said.
How would a Mod have any way to interfere with that, eh?

Anyway, I'm sure we are not ruled by such capricious Overminds in these forums, what would mind a bit of insulting from mere mortals.

Jason M

Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 09:45:10 PM
thou who shalt disobey the Word of N-sh shall be smitten in His name.

Russell wasn't completely out of line, it just seemed way out of line for one word.
Wow

i think without that or the first line for that matter this wouldn't have seemed that bad.
this did belong in the writing boards rather than the science fiction discussion boards.

no, but we do have a pretty impressive banhammer. :P

speaking of which, no one should have any fear of being banned because of speaking out against the mods.  you need only fear the banhammer if you spam or directly insult someone.  there's a difference between challenging opinion/moderation and insulting a moderator, or anyone else for that matter.  All we really want is for everyone to be polite... and spam-free.

Me likey

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 01:23:57 AM

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

izzardfan

Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 07:02:19 AM

Then why hasn't a mod moved it?

<batting eyelashes prettily to avoid being hit with the banhammer>   ;)

Russell Nash

Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 08:06:38 AM

Then why hasn't a mod moved it?

<batting eyelashes prettily to avoid being hit with the banhammer>   ;)

I don't necessarily agree that this was on the wrong board.  SSS putting out a book belongs here.  Talia would have put it here if Larry hadn't beat her to it.  It was all about tone and informing the newbies about the seriousness of our spam response.

600south

• Palmer
Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 10:15:20 AM
I never saw the spam angle; probably because I'm a regular StarShipSofa listener and Larry is well known there.
But I do notice that SSS promotes Escape Pod on a regular basis, and this is rarely reciprocated. So it's good to see them getting a plug in the forums, at least.

Now I think of it, Larry would make a great Pseudopod narrator. He could narrate Thomas the Tank Engine and make it sound scary.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:10:38 AM by 600south »