Author Topic: A very Pseudopod moment  (Read 2856 times)

sirana

• Lochage
on: September 22, 2009, 12:47:49 PM
If you are squeamish or simply afraid of insects you might wanna skip this post...

I was riding my bike to the University today to have lunch, when I felt something fly in my ear a couple hundred meters before I arrived. I cursed and tried to get it out, but nothing. Just when I stopped I felt and heard something moving in my ear. Like tiny feet scratching over my eardrum. I felt panic rising inside me and dug my finger deeper in my ear. It stopped, but started again a couple seconds later. I locked my bike (interesting priorities I have, I know) and not-quite-ran to the second nearest restroom (not the nearest, because I knew that much less people visited the second nearest. Again with the priorities...).
On the way there I felt/heard it again, it only stopped when I dug in my ear again with my finger, but when I stopped I felt it again. The movement in my ear continued, alway moving for a couple second and then stopping, but not for long. Then at the end of one movement a sharp pain in my ear. Now I was really starting to panic. I tried scratching in my ear with a rolled up piece of toilet paper. When I got it out of my ear again there was blood on the tip of it. Not much of it, but still, blood in your ear is nothing to make you feel calmer.
The next 15 minutes are about the worst that I remember in my life. Running between washbowls and the stalls, sticking toilet paper in my ear, always feeling/hearing the movement, waiting for the pain which was almost (but not quite) as bad as the pain itself. Rummaging in my bag for a pencil which I could stick in my ear (luckily I didn't bring any) and thinking about going to the ER, thinking about calling someone (but who, and what to tell him?) until FINALLY I got the idea of putting my head in the washbasin and letting water run into my ear for about a minute. Then carefully listening. Nothing. I put my head under the water again, just to be sure. Listening again. Nothing. The movement was gone. Whatever had scraped and scurried in my ear had drowned.
I slumped down outside the restrooms, sweaty all over, but glad. Oh so glad that the movement had stopped.
Then I went to lunch.

Soooo, this is what I would write about if I were writing a horror story for Pseudopod. This feeling of SOMETHING IS INSIDE ME is just so hideous, so fear-inducing that it was something that made me shiver even before I experienced it firsthand. Feeling it for yourself is really REALLY worse than you thought it would be.

Anyways, what is your Pseudopod moment, the moment that you felt the horror? What real life event (or feeling) you had could inspire a Pseudopod episode?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:49:49 PM by sirana »

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:53:51 PM
The day my wife called me at work to say goodbye, because she was committing suicide. Thankfully, she did not succeed.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 12:53:16 AM
Sorry, I feel like I kinda killed the thread with that last comment, so let me try again.

I can think of twice (at least) I've been absolutely terrified. Once was many, many years ago when I was a lot more credulous than I am now. A group of us were being guided through some caves (stalactites/mites and such). They were fairly well lit, but being caves, there were many shadows playing through the light. For one moment, one of these shadows looked exactly like a ghost and I was convinced it was coming toward me. It was actually pretty dumb because it was the classic "ghost shape" -- you know, guy with a sheet over his head type of thing. But in that instant the bottom dropped out of my stomach and I had to stop and get a grip on myself.

The other was when my wife and I were staying in a house in Sydney centre. It was kinda old and a little run down and in a not entirely salubrious part of town. At about 2am one morning, I woke to the sound of bashing and crashing about downstairs -- sounded like someone blundering about in the dark. This continued for some minutes, then silence. Then after a time, a voice called out "Hello?" I was terrified, thinking someone had broken in and was checking the house over for stuff to steal. I didn't know what I should do -- go downstairs and check, wait it out or what. I don't think I've ever been so scared. My mind was conjuring all sorts of nasty characters armed with knives, guns and clubs, ready to rush in and kill us.

Turns out it was my brother-in-law's sister, whom I'd forgotten was also staying there. She'd stumbled home smashed out of her skull after a heavy session with friends and couldn't quite make it up the stairs.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 12:58:00 AM
Good gravy- I had a follow up bug story.. but it just dosn't compare. :P

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 02:15:57 AM
Closest I can think of and it's not really a Pseudopod moment really, but was in Boy Scouts, walking along a small river or creek, and i stepped on what looked like a slighty muddy spot and sank up to my knees.  What did the other kids do, not help me out oh no they go rushing back to camp, got the leaders in a panic as well.  One kid stayed, and basically just stared at me as I dug myself out of the mud.  a bit frightening when you can't move and feel yourself sinking deeper.  The wet sucking sounds of the mud as I pulled free, and then having to stick my arm in the mud up to my shoulder to find my shoe.  I suppose there could be a story there, but...  I also have a healthy respect/slight fear of elevators after spending an hour plus in one when the power went out.  Though the true horror there was I had just returned from the comic book store and because it was dark in the elevator I couldn't read my bulging sack of comics.  I think I had bought like 6 comics that day as a bunch of stuff had just been released. 

Jason M

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 01:00:46 PM
Not quite a PP moment, but I was trapped in a truck after a roll over.  I was completely pinned in.  They had to use a tow truck to hold my truck steady while another one basically pulled my motor off of me.

The stories of how a farmer hacked off his forearm with a hatchet because it was caught in a piece of machinery?  I could attempt that.  Had my truck been on fire, I would have tried to hack off my own legs.  Of course, I'd have bled to death, but the will to survive is deep inside me.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 04:17:10 AM
Mad Max (or The Road Warrior for you guys)