Author Topic: Pseudopod 003: Little Boy Leg Bone  (Read 6869 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: September 17, 2009, 04:10:41 AM
Pseudopod 003: Little Boy Leg Bone

By Richard Warren
Read by JC Hutchins

And Myrriden watched, perched on the dresser. Jack saw him through the corner of his eye. A tall man, tall like Daddy, but his legs and arms weren’t right–long and thin, they reminded Jack of spiders.

Myrriden held a flute to his lips. White, bone white. A leg bone, Jack knew that. Little Boy Leg Bone. The soft music sounded like wind through dry leaves and the distant cry of dogs. It made Jack’s shins ache.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:29:31 PM
This is my second-favorite Pseudopod episode.  ("Everything is Better with Zombies" is my very favorite.)  I love the eerie children's story vibe for this one.  It's like a dark version of "Drop Dead Fred."

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:35:17 PM
This is one of my all-time favorites.  Very spooky.  Would have really scared me as a kid.  And I think J.C. Hutchins did a great job of adding to the eerie feel of the story.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:52:43 PM
Agreed. This is one of the few PP episodes that made me feel ill afterward and made me want to check on my children. Terrifying but in a very different way. And I agree with Swamp that Hutch's narration pretty much nailed the mood.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:56:55 PM
I really enjoyed this, and who hasn't imagined things like that harassing you as a kid.  Or maybe I'm just weird.  Some of the words in the story were over-pronounced, particularly "little boy leg bone", almost like the reader was just terrified of fumbling the word, but it didn't really bother me, it just struck me as odd.

I like the separate creatures created for this, though I would've liked to get a little more description of the Grungies and whatnot.

It's been a few weeks since I read this, but if I remember right, I don't think I quite understood what happened in the end.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:28:24 AM
S'funny, this one really didn't do much for me. Nice idea and nicely done but ultimately, not my cup o' tea.