Author Topic: Pseudopod 004: Returning My Sister’s Face  (Read 5291 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: September 17, 2009, 04:17:43 AM
Pseudopod 004: Returning My Sister’s Face

By Eugie Foster
Read by Stephen Eley

Mother sat bolt upright and stared at Oiwa. “Where is your face?” she cried.

Oiwa reached a hand to her cheek. “I-It is at the front of my head, where it always is.”

“No, only half of it,” Mother replied. She glared at me. “I pledge you to return the other half of your sister’s face. Swear it, Yasuo!”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 11:44:24 PM
This one didn't really grab me, though I did listen to it all the way through.

The language was too simple, which might be meant to give the impression of translation, but I didn't care for it.  I didn't really care about any of the characters, and so I had trouble caring about what happened.

eytanz

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:51:37 PM
It's funny. It's been a long time since I heard this story, and unlike most of the threads that have been popping up recently from this period, I sort of remember it. Which means it must have done some stuff right. But, I remember that I wasn't that impressed by it. And, more importantly perhaps, I have since heard quite a few Eugie Foster stories, most of which have left a much stronger, and more positive, impression. She is a master storyteller, but this is not one of her best; nonetheless, what is mediocre for her is superior to what a lot of other people produce.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 02:55:50 AM
It's funny. It's been a long time since I heard this story, and unlike most of the threads that have been popping up recently from this period, I sort of remember it. Which means it must have done some stuff right. But, I remember that I wasn't that impressed by it. And, more importantly perhaps, I have since heard quite a few Eugie Foster stories, most of which have left a much stronger, and more positive, impression. She is a master storyteller, but this is not one of her best; nonetheless, what is mediocre for her is superior to what a lot of other people produce.

So far my favorite Eugie Foster story is "Oranges, Lemons, and Thou Beside Me", that one is top-notch, one of my favorites on PP.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:26:45 AM
Man, I loved this one. Eugie is pretty damn versatile. I loved the Japanese setting, the characters, the whole thing. Steve's reading was pretty good, too.