Author Topic: EP216: βoyfriend  (Read 36452 times)

yicheng

• Matross
Reply #50 on: September 24, 2009, 09:31:12 PM
I enjoyed this story very much.  The teenage banter was probably a bit too witty and spot-on, as to seem a bit unrealistic in a Dawson's Creek kind of way, but it was still enjoyable and interesting.

As for Norm, I love his intros, and found myself snorting out loud several times (to the alarm of my co-workers) at his dry and off-beat humor.  I believe EP's in good hands.

[ sorry can't english today ]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:51:06 PM by yicheng »

Maze

• Extern
Reply #51 on: September 24, 2009, 11:53:00 PM
No, sorry Norm, no fried plantains for me (what are they?) I may just have to 'LA LA LA' through the intro and push through to the stories.

Intros and outro needs work. DI don't think it blended with the story.

Perhaps I should try the drabblecast as well, to get some sense of his style or to become immune.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #52 on: September 25, 2009, 02:03:23 AM
Liked Norm, liked the story, liked that the singularity was hinted at but not actually explained.  This is a story of the world on the edge, just before it tips, falls... and flies.

Good show.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #53 on: September 27, 2009, 01:53:35 AM
No, sorry Norm, no fried plantains for me (what are they?) I may just have to 'LA LA LA' through the intro and push through to the stories.

Intros and outro needs work. DI don't think it blended with the story.

Perhaps I should try the drabblecast as well, to get some sense of his style or to become immune.

Actually- for me anyway- it didn't change much. Norm feels RIGHT over at DC. It's where he's found his strange tenticled groove. He just came on a little strong- like that guy at office that has no idea of personal boundries strong. And I think Norm is hilarious. I'm hoping he'll find his place here. We're not DC's oddball group of mutant lovers (except for those of us that are..) after all. We're respectable zombie/spaceship/pink unicorn lovers darnit (*note, wry tone intended)

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #54 on: September 27, 2009, 03:27:18 AM
oooooh this was a cute story.  Great story pick!  That pretty much sums up my opinions entirely, so I won't say anything else on that.

as for Norm, in another concise opinion.... New co-host? A'ight cool.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

fuzzygnome

• Palmer
Reply #55 on: September 27, 2009, 06:44:19 AM
Great story and wonderfully read by the way.  Eyeball Floor was really good, Tina.  So cool to have you reading here as well.  You brought this story to life in a really unique way.

I think it's funny that a lot of people were worried about the story turning into a "90210" after the first 10 minutes or so, then half the people loved it, the other half not so much, but it still never turned into a 90210 at all.  I thought it was a cool, cutting-edge contemporary story.  As Norm pointed out, the line is getting close between social networks, technology, behavior and business.  Singularity very well might lead to crazy competitive monthly plans for your handheld device... (or even pseudo-prostitution for that matter!)

I've got a friend who always shows off her Iphone Apps,...wouldn't be surprised if the "Glory Hole" App suddenly became a reality and she half-interestedly showed me all the other, better, new transmogrifying alternatives to download.  But I, like Norm, have a Blackberry, so I'll have to stick to the real deal in the occasional roadstop rest area. 
Between this, Mr. Penubra's 24 hr book store, and Sinner/Baker, it seems like EP is pushing in a direction that is most relevant to the scifi genrei, and I think that's great. 

Cracked up at intro and outro.  I miss Steve but love havin Norm.  Hope Norm doesn't water down his style just for a few nattering people on the forums.  I've heard a lot of "Norm will grow into things" but I think the reality is that we're the ones that will actually be growing into things.  Things are changin for the best, and it's good to be open minded in times like these. 

Also, just wanna say that it's gotta be hard for Steve to step out a little.  It's really a testament to his awesomeness that things are actually getting better than worse through his delegation skills and the support he's built up around here. 
I'm excited for EP, because despite the admin changes and inconstancy, things are now looking great!
  The stories have been consistently better than ever for the past 2 months, IMO.
 Norm was the perfect pick for co-host (regular host-- NO!...the world (and Norm I bet) can only handle one Drabblecast, but co-host with Steve and Alasdair...really, how is that not the best power trio ever???)   I can't even imagine a better 3 headed beast; the "Stevalasdanorm" kicks Gidrah's ass so hard it's not even funny.  Steve is the main head, the one that can breathe fire. 
  Alasdair is the left head that has a crappy mic but always has really insightful things to say, great insights and memorable quotes.
 Norm is the right head that embodies Steve's call to "Have Fun."  He's the cool guy that doesn't take himself too seriously but also somehow comes across as super serious.  Most people that have heard his music think that he stomps Coulton into the ground, though most people who have heard him host Escapepod think that he sounds like he's hosting Drabblecast. 
I think if EA rotates between the 3, delegating stories to each, they will satisfy the most people.  Steve, Al and Norm have all had a history of love and hate.  Combine em and synergize, you can't lose with the 3 headed space-dragon.

Oh, and keep in mind also that these folks (hosts, not authors) are probably volunteering their time, am I right?  I think stories should be criticized, not pro bono hosts. 

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #56 on: September 27, 2009, 02:23:22 PM
Oh, and keep in mind also that these folks (hosts, not authors) are probably volunteering their time, am I right?  I think stories should be criticized, not pro bono hosts. 

The podcast is about the stories, but the hosting is part of the overall presentation, and thusly is fair game for criticism.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

eytanz

Reply #57 on: September 27, 2009, 03:31:45 PM

I believe that the host (though not the story narrators) are paid for their work.

TripleAught

• Peltast
Reply #58 on: September 28, 2009, 04:13:46 AM
I liked this story. It was light and fun.

The overtones of trying to get Ted and Violet together were cute as well -- even if they couldn't see it coming.

El Barto

• Peltast
Reply #59 on: September 28, 2009, 01:38:16 PM
I liked this story but didn't love it, probably because it teased us with other possible directions that were left unexplored, such as

1.   All of the AIs being exposed as people working in a third world country, rather than sophisticated programs

2.   Her newly sentient AI being downloaded into a body, to become her real boyfriend

3.    John being her not just her AI but many other people's.

Also, by the time the singularity arrives I'd think people will have better interfaces with their phones. 

All that said, I liked the style of the story and loved the narration.

Raj

• Palmer
    • Lord of the Moon
Reply #60 on: September 28, 2009, 05:05:54 PM
I think if EA rotates between the 3, delegating stories to each, they will satisfy the most people.  Steve, Al and Norm have all had a history of love and hate.  Combine em and synergize, you can't lose with the 3 headed space-dragon.

Hear hear!

http://lordofthemoon.com ; (Former) Editor of TBD magazine: http://tbd.org.uk

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #61 on: September 28, 2009, 05:39:25 PM
I can't even imagine a better 3 headed beast; the "Stevalasdanorm" kicks Gidrah's ass so hard it's not even funny.  Steve is the main head, the one that can breathe fire. 

I am frightened of the Stevalasdanorm. It's 16th cousins to the sister of the roomate of the brother of the neighbor of the greatuncle of Cthulhu. Also, I hear it's distantly related to Trogdor the Burninator.

csrster

• Palmer
Reply #62 on: September 29, 2009, 06:26:23 AM
I think I just had a nerdgasm!

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
Reply #63 on: September 30, 2009, 09:36:19 PM
The story felt rushed at the end like the author did not know what to do once the teens got to the party.  Also the super tech, the super nerd, and the predictable teen angst, left me unsatisfied.  Nice idea but a little flat.

I will raise my hand and say for the record, I do not like Norm's hosting.   

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #64 on: September 30, 2009, 09:38:31 PM
I think I just had a nerdgasm!

Trogdooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor!
TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!
Andthetrogdorcomesinthe...NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHT!

Had to be done:)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #65 on: September 30, 2009, 09:51:05 PM
Trogdooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor!
TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!
Andthetrogdorcomesinthe...NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHT!

Had to be done:)

:D LOL :D

No way.  I never would have pegged you for a Homestar Runner fan, Alasdair.  Don't know why. but...

You are a man of surprizes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:53:24 PM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #66 on: September 30, 2009, 10:43:36 PM
But where did all my sheep go?

You ate them sir.

Oh yeah, they were delicious!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

l33tminion

• Palmer
Reply #67 on: October 01, 2009, 01:10:27 AM
An impending-singularity themed prom!  Awesome!

Also, you'd think the main character would be less incredulous about the upcoming robot revolution given that she's got a boyfriend who lives in her phone.

veganvampire

• Palmer
Reply #68 on: October 02, 2009, 12:55:33 AM
Hey, was this story implying that AP-highschool students do not have social lives, cannot get a date to prom, and would settle for a virtual boyfriend who lives in their phone?

As a highschooler in an advanced placement program, I am here to tell you...that yeah, that's about accurate. :-\

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #69 on: October 02, 2009, 01:21:59 AM
Hey, was this story implying that AP-highschool students do not have social lives, cannot get a date to prom, and would settle for a virtual boyfriend who lives in their phone?

As a highschooler in an advanced placement program, I am here to tell you...that yeah, that's about accurate. :-\
You high schoolers today with your fancy virtual boyfriends and your fancy phones.

I don't even think cell phones were readily available back when I was a wee pupil. 

Anyhoo, as for the story...it never really got off the ground for me.  I didn't particularly care for teen drama back when I was a teen (it was hard enough dealing with the cooling of the Earth, after all), and I just couldn't get into the swing of this. 

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

capteucalyptus

• Extern
Reply #70 on: October 02, 2009, 07:18:04 PM
Loved, loved, loved the host.

Really enjoyed the story up until the party was revealed and even then, though it was a bit uneven and didn't go were expected, I enjoyed it.  Perhaps because it wasn't expected.  Also I reminded myself that part of the point of EP is sci-fi that is fun and this was fun indeed.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #71 on: October 07, 2009, 01:13:18 AM
Wow, lotta new posters! Cool stuff.

Huge two thumbs up for Norm. Excellent.

umamei

• Palmer
Reply #72 on: October 12, 2009, 05:36:32 PM
Yeah, I was totally thinking about Sleep Dealer the whole time.  I loved this story, but mostly because they used the beta character in the title.  I know that's a very frivolous reason to like something, but that's just the way I roll when I listen to stories very early on Monday morning.  In fact, very early on a Monday morning, I can be won over with many simple things--punny titles, coffee, fluffy pillows that remind me of sleep...

Even now, later in the morning, slightly more awake than I was when I listened to this, I still like the story.  But I don't mind that it alluded to 90210--it's hard not to do so when writing about teenagers, since 90210 practically defined teen drama in the 90's (at least here in the US--I don't know what was on TV elsewhere).  I kept expecting it to turn out that the boyfriend app involved a clever set of programming and a Mexican teenager working for low wages somewhere remote, a la Sleep Dealer (an indie sci-fi movie, I highly recommend--easily found via Google, probably can order on Netflix or similar).  And then when it got to the part where they entered the house and the one character mentioned creepy serial killers, I couldn't be totally sure that it wouldn't actually turn out that way in the end.  After all, though Escape Pod may be science fiction, that doesn't mean it won't occasionally also involve horror elements, right?  I was waiting for someone to die or something, and instead Violet got a broken arm and a kiss.  I'm not sure injury (or death, for that matter) are really all that romantic, and I was still waiting for the horror-style ending.  I like horror, though.  I think especially on Monday mornings, I like horror.

Still, the story amused me.

I liked this story but didn't love it, probably because it teased us with other possible directions that were left unexplored, such as

1.   All of the AIs being exposed as people working in a third world country, rather than sophisticated programs

2.   Her newly sentient AI being downloaded into a body, to become her real boyfriend

3.    John being her not just her AI but many other people's.

Also, by the time the singularity arrives I'd think people will have better interfaces with their phones. 

All that said, I liked the style of the story and loved the narration.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #73 on: October 15, 2009, 07:24:47 PM

Heh!  Ya, pretty much (though I'm far removed from my high school days)

This was a fun story.  I agree with a lot of the criticism leveled against it... it wasn't a great story, but it was good and fun.  I appreciate that the coming-to-sentience AI wasn't in fact a robot.  A networked AI seems much more realistic to me somehow.  I really liked how all the boyfriends/girlfriends both were and weren't the same entity. 

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #74 on: April 29, 2010, 05:36:25 PM
Not a bad story, but I tend not to really like high school stories that much, probably because I didn't like high school that much.  It was an interesting twist on the singularity topic, but didn't really transcend for me.

The disabled kid was interesting, but ended up being more interesting than the protagonist, so sort of weakened my interest in her.  I did think it was odd that she was surprised at his techno abilities, and then was surprised again.  And again and again.  I was starting to wonder if she'd gotten hit in the head while she was chicken-fighting and lost some of her AP-level cognitive abilities--yes, he's shown that he can make phone calls with a blink.  Get over it.

Was interesting to hear some hosting from The Norm.  I get a kick out of his sense of humor though sometimes his intros and outros run a little long, maybe it's just because I'm used to the EA format which usually keeps the intro micro-short and even the outro is fairly focused.  I'm about a half dozen episodes into the Drabblecast now, so I'm getting a taste of his style on his home turf.  :)