Author Topic: EP057: Chuckles Mulrooney, Attorney for the Damned  (Read 4160 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: October 16, 2009, 07:16:49 AM
EP057: Chuckles Mulrooney, Attorney for the Damned

By Scott Sigler.
Read by Preston Buttons (of Air Out My Shorts).

After a decade of ceaseless writing struggle, Satan had come to him in ‚Äì of all places ‚Äì the soup aisle at Meijer’s grocery store. There was no fire and brimstone, no tail, no horns, not even that cool hipster pointy goatee the devil always sported in the movies. He was actually kind of fat, and wore a three-piece suit with Gucci shoes. He didn’t look at all like Satan — he looked more like Dom Delouise posing as a lawyer.

Rated R. Contains profanity, violence, clowns, and violence against profane clowns.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:41:02 PM
Haha, I really liked this one, an original twist to deal with the devil stories.  I liked the morally ambiguous Chuckles character who is sort of helping others but mostly helping himself, and the clown compulsion slipped into the contract.  I admit I didn't see the ending coming, so that was a plus, though it seems that he's just condemning himself to hell anyway by committing murder.  But whatever.  :)

Also, it's good to see a Sigler story that doesn't involve genital mutilation! 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 02:40:41 PM
I quite enjoyed the moral ambiguity of this piece.

Also, it's good to see a Sigler story that doesn't involve genital mutilation! 

It was still there, you just blocked it out. There was discussion of a historical punishment that involved hot coals being inserted into the scrotum.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”