Author Topic: Looking for people!  (Read 5608 times)

Silvas

• Extern
on: October 10, 2009, 02:01:58 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm a fairly recent Escape Artists lurker, and I'm setting up a tiny little bit of research for a class of mine. I was wondering if some of you fine people would like to fill in a short questionnaire about reading/listening habits in the near future and where you live, broadly.

The questionnaire isn't actually finished yet, but I'd like to know if what I'm trying to do is viable.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: some context about what it's about:

Our purpose, broadly (apart from simply having to come up with a research question for this class) is to see if a very select group of fiction-listeners within the escape artists genres (sci-fi, horror, fantasy) read more paper books than a control group within the same genres who don't listen to audio.

I've heard a lot of yelling that the internet, audio book or e-books will be the end of paper books and that people don't read anymore, so I'm basically trying to see if I can say something about the popularity of the two different medias.

We've set up a forum where the questionnare will be posted. You'll be able to fill in the results under a pre-made username (aptly named 'Anonymous'). I will post the link and username/password here when it's ready, and send PM's around.

The questionnaire is finished and online at: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Literatuur/
The username is Anonimous and the password 'simpel', and the rest should hopefully work itself out! If there are still people willing to take the questionnaire who haven't posted here, we can always use some more date. Give me a poke or reply here and I'll give you the password. Thank you for our help!

Okay, turns out the premade user is called 'Anonimous'. I'm not sure why it's spelled that way but there you go. All my fault, I'm very sorry.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 06:57:00 PM by Silvas »

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 03:49:42 PM
Sure, I would.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Silvas

• Extern
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 04:12:37 PM
Awesome, that's one!

This has turned into a bit of a challenge, since my teacher claimed I could never get enough people for it.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 04:34:43 PM
I'll do it too. :)

Jagash

• Palmer
    • Genesis of Legend Publishing
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 05:23:35 PM
With pleasure.

Sleep is for the weak due to sleep deprivation.

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 07:27:17 PM
I'd be glad to help, if only to prove your smarter than you instructor wrong.  How many people do you need for your sample?

Silvas

• Extern
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 08:01:47 PM
Whoo, four already!

Ideally, I'd need between 15 and 30 people. I'd be very happy with ten or fifteen, but the more the better. :P

Jason M

Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 10:40:59 PM
Add me.  You might have to PM me when the survey is ready.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 04:14:11 AM
I have no problem with this, though I'd prefer as much anonymity as possible.  What is the ultimate purpose of the research?

Silvas

• Extern
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 09:35:59 AM
Anonymity is no problem, I should've mentioned that in the first place. The only personal info would be approximate age and location, just to make sure our two groups are more or less equal.

Our purpose, broadly (apart from simply having to come up with a research question for this class) is to see if a very select group of fiction-listeners within the escape artists genres (sci-fi, horror, fantasy) read more paper books than a control group within the same genres who don't listen to audio.

I've heard a lot of yelling that the internet, audio book or e-books will be the end of paper books and that people don't read anymore, so I'm basically trying to see if I can say something about the popularity of the two different medias.

eytanz

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 09:49:30 AM
I'm glad to help.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 02:39:39 PM
Sure, why not?

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 03:51:44 PM
Count me in! :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 10:01:29 PM
You'll want to make sure you have extensively detailed timelines, then, or else your data won't have much use.  Correlation vs. causation, basically.  For myself, for instance, I used to read a minimum of two novels a week when I was in high school.  Now that I'm actually working and supporting myself and my spouse, I get through maybe a novel a month.  I didn't previously read anything online; now I read a dozen or so short story e-mags and participate in writing workshops.  I found these podcasts specifically because I was looking for a way to "read" more without having to spend more time actually sitting and only reading.  I imagine a lot of people who are hardcore audio fans have similar situations; long commutes, boring jobs, whatever.

So my chart of "amount read" would start out very high and deteriorate steadily over the past ten years or so, with EP, PP, and PC having no real impact on it whatsoever.  It's not a case of actual reading crowding out audio or audio crowding out reading; it's a matter of available time and portability. 

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 11:15:36 PM
You'll want to make sure you have extensively detailed timelines, then, or else your data won't have much use.  Correlation vs. causation, basically.  For myself, for instance, I used to read a minimum of two novels a week when I was in high school.  Now that I'm actually working and supporting myself and my spouse, I get through maybe a novel a month.  I didn't previously read anything online; now I read a dozen or so short story e-mags and participate in writing workshops.  I found these podcasts specifically because I was looking for a way to "read" more without having to spend more time actually sitting and only reading.  I imagine a lot of people who are hardcore audio fans have similar situations; long commutes, boring jobs, whatever.

So my chart of "amount read" would start out very high and deteriorate steadily over the past ten years or so, with EP, PP, and PC having no real impact on it whatsoever.  It's not a case of actual reading crowding out audio or audio crowding out reading; it's a matter of available time and portability. 

Totally agree.  I am usually a voracious reader.  Due to being in China, and not in a major international city like Beijing, Shanghai, or Xi'an, I have not bought a new book in months.  I am almost exclusively reading by audio, because I don't have access to new books, and I have read all of the old books available to me multiple times now.  When I return to America, I assume that I will return to my reading habits.  I first got into podcasts because of my commute.  they were perfect at approx. 30 minutes.  My current circumstances are why I didn't volunteer.  My reading habits here are completely dictated by circumstances and not by personal choice.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 07:25:08 AM
Happy to help out, if you still need people.

Silvas

• Extern
Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 04:54:26 PM
Oof, thanks for the feedback!

Due to time constraints I'm afraid I'll only be able to do a snapshot, so to speak, but I will be asking about reasons audio-listeners get their fiction that way. I would really prefer to get a more detailed reading/listening history out of people, but we were basically told not to do that within the context of the class.

It's an excellent point though, I'll talk about it with my partner in crime. We will be making the actual questoinnare tomorrow, so I can how we can get at least some of this in the end results.

Silvas

• Extern
Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 05:59:49 PM
And it's live.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 12:01:07 AM
I'd love to add as well-

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 01:34:31 AM
And it's live.

Cool idea.  This old dude from the US posted my responses.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan