Author Topic: Audibook recommendations  (Read 3261 times)

Yargling

• Peltast
on: October 28, 2009, 10:06:51 AM
Ok, does anyone have any suggestions as for good sci-fi novels I could listen to in audiobook format? OR good short story collections? I love most escape pods, but a) their increasingly short (the last one was less than 30 mins!), and b) a week is a long time to fill ;)

I'm a fan of the Discworld series, so already have those in novel form. I've also got Dune and Dune Messiah in audiobook format. Further, I've got the Vampire Earth series too. Any more suggestions?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:19:20 PM
Are you looking strictly for SF?

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 09:26:25 PM
Any Neil Gaiman story.  His stuff is meant to be read aloud, and he does most all the readings himself.  He often says that audiobooks are his preferred format for his stories.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:37:15 PM
Any Neil Gaiman story.  His stuff is meant to be read aloud, and he does most all the readings himself.  He often says that audiobooks are his preferred format for his stories.

Heh. That was going to be my recommendations, as I've just finished listening to the Graveyard Book.

I'd love to hear if anyone's listened to 20th Century Ghosts. I loved the collection and you can get the stories individually on iTunes. But I haven't heard Joe Hill read before...

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:42:15 PM

I thought American Gods was one of George Guidall's best readings.  And I can't imagine Anansi Boys read by anybody other than Lenny henry.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:03:55 PM
free downloadable: singularity or the fourth ambit

professional books: world war z (Alan Alda & Henry Rollins & many more =) )

if you're ok with something denser there's great historical perspective in eifelheim and the non-fiction Galileo's daughter

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 04:23:45 AM
On podiobooks.com, do check out the whole "solar clipper" series from Nathan Lowell, starting with 'Quarter Share. ' I'm sure there's some exceptions, but pretty much everyone I've introduced the series to has been instantly, intensely addicted. Not sure why. He's doing SOMETHING right. :)