Author Topic: EP222: Infestation  (Read 27868 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 02:45:54 PM
Great reading.

I think this story might have worked better as print than audio because I kept getting lost trying to pick up on the nanotech and other science-y words amid the vampire-killing action. I'd also like to know how the Lieutenant got to know Jay so that he could just say "let him in, Sergeant". It's almost Anita-Blake-ish in that way -- "I'm the biggest, baddest hunter around, so just let me in and save everyone some time, Mr. Posturing Asshole Cop Stereotype. Oh, what's that, Mr. I Understand The Situation Supervisory Officer? I can go in? Why thank you? Here's a sex scene for your trouble. Now me and Mr. I Act All Badass But Get Killed In Act Two Before The Big Fight Scene are going to go inside, along with Mr. Mysterious Former Military Guy and Mrs. Wife-of-Badass Who Sees Her Husband Get Killed But Goes On Doing Her Duty".

Sorry, I got carried away. But I think you get the idea. The story was good, but the hunters were a little cliche (other than J). The fact that I'm bringing that up probably means I couldn't find anything to nit-pick. YOU WIN AGAIN, ESCAPE POD!!!

Oh, and I think we all knew Jenny the Rock Climber would be a vampire. No real surprise there.

I didn't get the religion angle until I read it here. Though does this mean that the Ancients are really the dudes who were at the Last Supper?

Good one all around.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 09:43:06 PM
Loved Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy and have been eagerly awaiting something new from him that was aimed at something other than the 12 year old market.  Hopefully there is a full vamp novel coming from him.  Thanks for bringing out this one.

You know there's another Old Kingdom story, right? It's in a book of short stories entitled Across The Wall. The novella is called "Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case". Entertaining. And what I didn't know is that apparently he's writing more Old Kingdom stuff!! Aces!! (http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNKNKY3YXHEOS9W)

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 09:44:03 PM
I'll join the chorus of others confessing they missed the "J" thing. Fantastic stuff!

Dave

• Peltast
    • I Can Bend Minds With My Spoon
Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 01:59:29 AM
So, I knew bundled-up-to-avoid-the-sun-girl was a vamp as soon as she was described- but that was just because modern vampire hunter lore always includes at least one "reformed" supernat on the team, and I just assumed everyone knew she was a leech. Which left me trying to figure out what J was... I figured werewolf at first, but then as more of the nanotech stuff came up, I was less sure. And then was all like HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!! The history angle is just awesome. And the more I think about it, the more awesome it is.

I should mention that I hate vampires. They're boring. They've been boring since the early 90s. Everyone needs to just let it go. With the exception of: Robin McKinley (where is the next Sunshine book, dammit?) and Garth Nix, who needs to write a novel in this setting.

Is there a petition somewhere for that?

Thanks, EP!

-Dave (aka Nev the Deranged)

Corydon

• Peltast
Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 07:46:10 PM
I should mention that I hate vampires. They're boring. They've been boring since the early 90s. Everyone needs to just let it go. With the exception of: Robin McKinley (where is the next Sunshine book, dammit?) and Garth Nix, who needs to write a novel in this setting.

I would sign such a petition, for sure.  As I said in my earlier comment, I enjoyed this story, and there are a few examples of modern vampire fiction that I like, such as Buffy, and, um...  Buffy.  But for the most part, I find vampires extremely dull.  Me, I blame Anne Rice and the sub-genre of "sexy rock star vampires."

Which is why the outro's description of all the hatred poured on Twilight struck me as so odd.  I've never seen that level of Anne Rice hate, but the Twilight books aren't doing anything that's substantially different from Anne Rice; they're just adapting the genre and marketing it to teenage girls.  Which, come to think of it, is probably the source of the hatred, whether that's ever admitted (or realized) or not.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 02:11:33 AM
The more I think about this story, the more I like it. I love a story that leaves you with a lot to chew over.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 02:18:35 AM
I must admit I like vampires. I just think they're a pretty cool monster concept. I particularly like what a couple of authors.. Charlaine Harris and Kim Harrison in particular.. have done with them.

A little sick of Laurell K. Hamilton's vampires, though. "Look, I am PRETTY. and I can STARE YOU INTO SUBMISSION."

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 02:22:07 AM
A little sick of Laurell K. Hamilton's vampires, though. "Look, I am PRETTY. and I can STARE YOU INTO SUBMISSION."

Not to mention all the bonking. I mean, I like bonking as much as anyone and there's an undeniable sexual subtext to a lot of vampire stuff. But Anita? Yeesh. I think Meredith (not a vampire) was going that way too.

lunastrixae

• Extern
Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 05:27:08 AM
Totally missed the J reference! I'm not shocked, because that's not a part of my life or something I think about a lot. Great story though, really really enjoyed it.

eytanz

Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 01:35:16 PM
Loved it. Really, really, loved it. This is how to play with old toys in a new way (and by old toys I mean the bioweaponry stuff as well as the vampires themeselves).

KenK

Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 04:43:03 PM
I'll bet Bram Stoker, Vlad the Impaler, and Béla Lugosi  and all the rest of the iconic vampire memes are spinning in their graves.
Especially Béla Lugosi. The new "pretty boy" movie vampires seriously lack the cultured European royalty vibe he portrayed. Vlad impaled people  to punish his opposition and intimidate his rivals which was just good politics in those days. And Bram Stoker never ever made the kind of money from his novel that even one of the Twilight movies have. Go figger? ???

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 10:09:47 PM

To make people stop writing vampire fiction?  I dunno, but if you find one, I'll sign it.

Which is why the outro's description of all the hatred poured on Twilight struck me as so odd.  I've never seen that level of Anne Rice hate, but the Twilight books aren't doing anything that's substantially different from Anne Rice; they're just adapting the genre and marketing it to teenage girls.  Which, come to think of it, is probably the source of the hatred, whether that's ever admitted (or realized) or not.

Twilight fans are the new catgirls.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:12:24 PM by stePH »

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 11:32:19 PM
Totally did not get the J thing.  Kudos to those who spotted it.

SF Fans are hilarious.  Either they are patting themselves on the back for for how open and accepting the fan culture is, or they are bashing a subset of it.  Don't worry, I'm one of them. 

As for the story, it didn't do much for me.  I'm pretty tired of vampires and pretty tired of alternative explanations for vampires.  The infodumps broke up the action too much.  The characters and situations were mostly formulaic.  It felt more like a role-playing session than a story. 

Quote from: listener
"I'm the biggest, baddest hunter around, so just let me in and save everyone some time, Mr. Posturing Asshole Cop Stereotype. Oh, what's that, Mr. I Understand The Situation Supervisory Officer? I can go in? Why thank you? Here's a sex scene for your trouble. Now me and Mr. I Act All Badass But Get Killed In Act Two Before The Big Fight Scene are going to go inside, along with Mr. Mysterious Former Military Guy and Mrs. Wife-of-Badass Who Sees Her Husband Get Killed But Goes On Doing Her Duty".
yes. loled.

I think it was deflective back there on the hard-to-quote page one of the Episode comments who thought it was strange that they get poorly trained, inexperienced volunteers to hunt vampires.  Especially when the vampire nest is surrounded by a fence which is surrounded by professional law enforcers.  It seems that in a world where everyone knows there are vampires there would be well-trained, well-equipped branch of the military to deal with them.  If they know where the vamps are sleeping why not go in during the day and ram telephone polls in their graves?

Though I have to admit I like it that the vampires are at least freaking monsters and that people are scared of them, and not sexy emo kids.  What if in 100 years 21st century terrorists are portrayed as sexy emo kids? 

Doom xombie

• Palmer
  • Hi
    • Origin of Xombie
Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 01:00:57 AM

Though I have to admit I like it that the vampires are at least freaking monsters and that people are scared of them, and not sexy emo kids.  What if in 100 years 21st century terrorists are portrayed as sexy emo kids? 

I'd pay to see that, but not to see twilight...

Look its a signature! And a dragon!

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 01:22:36 AM
I really enjoyed this story while I was listening.  However, just a couple of days after having listened to it, I cannot tell you how it ends.  I really can't. 

I would have completely missed the J thing if I hadn't read it here shortly after I started listening to it.  Sometimes, it's good to have spoilers.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 02:47:30 AM
SF Fans are hilarious.  Either they are patting themselves on the back for for how open and accepting the fan culture is, or they are bashing a subset of it.  Don't worry, I'm one of them. 
oh! yeah! like every other group of people! :P

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 08:25:24 PM
Spoiler alert! (highlight to read)
My understanding is that the protagonist "J" is short for Judas (see references to pieces of silver), and you can guess who the boss is. It's pretty obvious to me that this is the case, the reference to the 2000 year old sliver (of the cross) was a un-dead give away.
<-- Highlight to here.

I absolutely LOVED the " Christ as original vampire hunter" concept! I got it as soon as it was mentioned the first time in the story and thought "That is so AWESOME!" that from there on the story could do no wrong, for me.

I mean, I also picked up on the whole ....
If they know where the vamps are sleeping why not go in during the day and ram telephone polls in their graves?
...but then was quickly distracted by the shinny " Christ as vampire hunter" bauble.  It seems I will forgive a lot for such a cool concept.

Thanks to Escape Pod and Garth Nix for this!

Motti

• Extern
    • I will not buy this blog, it is scratched!
Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 08:39:36 PM
I absolutely LOVED the " Christ as original vampire hunter" concept! I got it as soon as it was mentioned the first time in the story and thought "That is so AWESOME!" that from there on the story could do no wrong, for me.

I thought of it more as " Christ as original vampire" (not hunter) which I like doubly, (a) it's surprising and (b) it explains why the hell vampires are afraid of crosses in the first place (and why stars of David don't do the trick).

eytanz

Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 08:43:17 PM

I thought of it more as " Christ as original vampire" (not hunter) which I like doubly, (a) it's surprising and (b) it explains why the hell vampires are afraid of crosses in the first place (and why stars of David don't do the trick).

No, the story states quite explicitly that the "boss" was a vampire hunter who, after killing all the active vampires at the time, decided he can use his superior tech to become a god to the humans. He was not a vampire, he was the same type of being the narrator is.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 09:12:09 PM
it's been a while so i may not remember correctly but wasn't the difference between vampire and vampire hunter relatively minor?  both were nanotech based, the only real difference is that vampires are virulent and lose control.

there was something about the boss trying to spread his genetic material so i thought he had modified his nano to have some vampiric qualities.  plays into John 6:54, which these stories usually base themselves around.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 09:28:23 PM
it's been a while so i may not remember correctly but wasn't the difference between vampire and vampire hunter relatively minor?  both were nanotech based, the only real difference is that vampires are virulent and lose control.

The vampires were modified to be weapons on a world that had much more darkness than Earth and dropped on Earth by mistake. Thus they were actually ill-suited to Earth conditions (can't stand the sun, and all that). The vampire hunters were sent to Earth on purpose (to eradicate the vampires), so they would likely be better suited to Earth conditions.

The vampires were specifically designed to infect their prey and so reproduce - no loss of control there. The hunters were designed to to just clean up the vampire mess, so they had no need for a similar method of replication.

So from that perspective, the vampires and hunters were quite different. But, I do think they were both from the same genetic stalk, so in that respect they were similar.

I hope that adds something useful.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 09:38:32 PM
I just thought of another minor little tidbit that really intrigued me.

The vampire hunters were from the species that dropped the vampires on Earth by mistake during an intergalactic war. That species *lost* the war and so were required to clean up their mistake.

The reason I find this intriguing is that, in human history, don't the victors usually clean up after a war? I mean they may not, but they don't usually send the looser to a distant (and insignificant) battle field to clean up a mess there. If anyone has some historical examples to the contrary, I would love to hear them...

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 10:59:16 PM
I just thought of another minor little tidbit that really intrigued me.

The vampire hunters were from the species that dropped the vampires on Earth by mistake during an intergalactic war. That species *lost* the war and so were required to clean up their mistake.

The reason I find this intriguing is that, in human history, don't the victors usually clean up after a war? I mean they may not, but they don't usually send the looser to a distant (and insignificant) battle field to clean up a mess there. If anyone has some historical examples to the contrary, I would love to hear them...
That is interesting.  Though I think the winners usually want something from the losers, so it's in their interest to repair the loser's infrastructure.  Also, if the losers have the wherewithal to do clean up, they could probably keep fighting.  But I think you could apply your idea to this story, since there doesn't seem to be too many alien vampire hunters.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 11:15:44 PM
The vampires were specifically designed to infect their prey and so reproduce - no loss of control there. The hunters were designed to to just clean up the vampire mess, so they had no need for a similar method of replication.

the host loses control, subjected to the nano's programing.  am i misremembering the line about the boss spreading his genetic material?  that's why i thought he had modified his nanos to be virulent.

cdugger

• Peltast
  • I read to be smart...er.
Reply #49 on: November 13, 2009, 01:48:47 AM
OK, second to a Time Travel story, I love me a Vampire story.

And I loved this Vampire story!

And, never got the J thing. That's why I have started reading the forums!

I read, therefore I am...happy.