Author Topic: Shining sequel  (Read 5329 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: December 01, 2009, 12:43:23 PM
I didn't want to distract from the discussion in the best horror movie poll thread, but there's been a lot of talk about The Shining there, both the book and the movie.  I just saw this news regarding a possible Shining sequel by King.

Acording to SliceofScifi.com:

"King says he has an idea to revisit the story now and check back in on Danny.

According to King, Danny would now be 40 years old — and we hope now called Dan or Daniel — living in upstate New York and working at a hospice for the terminally ill. However, given his unique powers, he helps his patients “make that journey” to the other side.

King did say that he’s not convinced himself yet that he should write the novel and that maybe by talking about it in public, he’ll get it out of his system."

What do you think?

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 01:58:18 PM
King did say that he’s not convinced himself yet that he should write the novel and that maybe by talking about it in public, he’ll get it out of his system."

What do you think?

I think King's probaby written it already and it's sitting in a drawer waiting to be published....

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:34:46 PM
Sounds promising.  It's not a sequel in the sense that ghost hunters come to the Overlook and are attacked by Jack Nicholson and The Predator.  Checking up on Danny 30+ years later would require a completely different story.  Plus there's big horror potential of dealing with an adult who had such a terrible childhood trauma.  I bet some of the patients he would deal with would be pretty tweaked as well.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:16:10 AM
I dunno... Black House kind of did the "revisit the character who was a child in the original story and is a grown man now" already, and it sucked.

Well... Henry (the blind guy) was totally bitchrod, but otherwise the book sucked.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 05:18:43 PM
Yeah, I died a little when I read Black House, but I'd love to check in on some of King's other characters.  What sort of adventures did Stu and Fran have when the left Boulder at the end of The Stand?  The Shining might stand up to this sort of treatment.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 01:22:43 AM
Yeah, I died a little when I read Black House, but I'd love to check in on some of King's other characters.  What sort of adventures did Stu and Fran have when the left Boulder at the end of The Stand? 

If The Stand had been done as a maxi-series, with an entire 24-to-26-episode season to cover the events of the book (with maybe a 2-hour premiere and a 2-hour conclusion), they could have continued into a second season (or possibly longer) and done just that.  I mean, how long did The Dead Zone go on?  That book was a fraction of the length of The Stand.

switchblade stings in one tenth of a moment.  [better] get back to the car.
I like.  :)

Well I argued with the judge, but the bastard wouldn't budge, cos' they caught me licking fudge, and they never told me once, you were a minor.  ;D

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 03:52:22 AM
Easy money :)
Heh. I just saw your post, two weeks later. Yeah, I dig me some Crim. Typed that from memory, and haven't heard Fallen Angel in a looong time. Not surprised I missed a word, but I should know better.

I don't remember the Dead Zone series well, but I do recall the novel pretty clearly. The show probably got pretty far from the book, but so many of Kings earlier works left tons of room for expansion. Most writers could bang out a career writing about the gunslinger knights of Gilead alone. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 04:59:18 AM
Easy money :)
Heh. I just saw your post, two weeks later. Yeah, I dig me some Crim. Typed that from memory, and haven't heard Fallen Angel in a looong time. Not surprised I missed a word, but I should know better.

I don't remember the Dead Zone series well, but I do recall the novel pretty clearly. The show probably got pretty far from the book, but so many of Kings earlier works left tons of room for expansion. Most writers could bang out a career writing about the gunslinger knights of Gilead alone. 

If King would open up the Gunslinger mythology as a shared world (like Aspirin's "Thieves World" or Cherryh's "Merovingen") I'm sure some really good stuff could result -- stuff that would far surpass King's own final three books in the series.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 09:40:50 AM
There's a wikipedia entry on it now - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Sleep_(novel)

From the working title I would be tempted to speculate that the Crimson King is involved in some way, maybe as much as he appeared in Insomnia. The "rabbit hole" in that story was the lack of sleep.

About a sequel to The Stand: What became of the survivors in and around Las Vegas could be a starting point. Or, something from the POV of Vegas residents who resisted Flagg and went underground.

As Anne (of Green Gables) Shirley said, "There's so much scope for the imagination!"

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 12:32:30 AM
About a sequel to The Stand: What became of the survivors in and around Las Vegas could be a starting point. Or, something from the POV of Vegas residents who resisted Flagg and went underground.

The last we saw of Las Vegas in The Stand was Trashcan Man's nuke going off, with just about everybody in the blast area since Flagg had decreed compulsory attendance to the spectacle. 

But I always thought the best way to adapt the stand would be a 22- to 26-hour series (2-hour premiere and finale; 1-hour regular episodes); then when the book adaptation is finished the producers could turn it into an ongoing series with the remaining characters (my friend's idea, not mine; I was fine with ending the series at the novel's conclusion).

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 02:00:34 PM
There's a wikipedia entry on it now - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Sleep_(novel)

There was a poll on King's official website on what we fans wanted next. If I'm not mistaken, Doctor Sleep won, so it should be out next year. From what I understand, Danny will be about 40 and plagued by sleeplessness and nightmares... but I can't exactly remember. It's been a long time since I've visited the SK boards.

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...