Author Topic: What does your name mean?  (Read 36756 times)

wingodzilla

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 06:19:00 AM
My last name is Wing, I have always like monster movies and who better then Godzilla. So I blended them and got Wingodzilla. Which of course when you read it, it really looks like win godzilla. So I started to add two G's but my older stuff still had one G and.....Oh! I made myself cross-eyed again.

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 03:44:17 PM
I'm Dani in the real world, but years ago a friend started calling me "danooli" as a nickname, for some reason the lowercase "d" was implied.  it's one of the few nicknames I've been given that i actually like so when I signed on here, that is what I chose.  I think the double "o" is a fun sound.  ;)

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 09:05:20 PM
I am Max.
That is my name.
It's sufficiently common that I don't mind using it on the internet.
However, since it is very common it is often already taken. When that happens sites often try to get you to use some kind of perversion of your selected nickname with some numbers added.
Well, if you're adding numbers to your name they should mean something. Being a CS geek I'd like to use zero, since that is where we start counting.
But that's not original enough.
Then I ran across Euler's Identity. Basically, it's some kind of mathematical voodoo that has something to do with imaginary numbers and the square root of minus one.
What it means is that e^{i pi} is a fancy way of saying -1, which is cooler than zero, if you say it that way.
So, that's my nickname.
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced: "Ee to the eye pie."

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 02:07:55 AM

Eye pie? I've never had it, but I've had eye roll at a local sushi restaurant  ::)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 08:54:15 PM
Mine is fairly simple.  I'm a gamer geek of many stripes (D&D, PC, console, board, dice, card, fantasy sports, etc), and I adore cows.  In fact, I think it's time for a new avatar.  I did find it amusing that my name was announced incorrectly 3 times in feedback before it got straightened out. 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 08:58:10 PM
Are you sure you don't like crows?  They have glossy black feathers...

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 09:18:26 PM
It was a long time ago and I was looking for a new Livejournal handle, after learning that my previous handle actually meant "Angel of Money." Due to circumstances I can no longer recall, I had recently become aware of the Electric Monk in Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Being a nerd with a long-standing fascination with paladins (http://burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com/2008/11/paladin-love-story.html), I decided that an electric paladin - something you plugged in to the wall so it would defend things for you - was a neat and tangentially related idea. And thus was ElectricPaladin born.

I'm ElectricPaladin pretty much everywhere I go. Never had any trouble snagging it, either.

Also, Robo is awesome.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 08:46:04 AM
back when i was young(er) and first signing up for internetz forums, I'd been watching a lot of Red Dwarf. There is one particularly awesome scene in series one where Lister related that Rimmer once panicked spectacularly in an exam, so spectacularly that the only thing he could manage to do was to write 'i am a fish' 500 times, stand up, do a little dance and faint. I though this was cool, so iamafish became my nickname. It has been that ever since.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 08:42:33 PM

Eye pie? I've never had it, but I've had eye roll at a local sushi restaurant  ::)

Is that kind of like eye candy?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 10:15:37 PM

No, [self censored]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:54:04 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 12:24:12 AM

No, [self censored]

Dude.  Srsly?  Can we not insult half the population by casually dumping them into a bucket with "Male Gaze" scrawled on the size in crayon?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:54:26 AM by Bdoomed »

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 01:41:52 AM
I'm not offended, though I do think  it should be noted Bdoomed's link is quasi NSFW.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 01:53:40 AM
Woah there, meant no offense (glad there was none, Talia), just hopefully harmless fun.  Guess not, link is gonna be removed :P

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 10:11:26 PM
I wonder if it would be worth just removing all these last few posts (including this one) and pretending they never happened, since people are going to be wondering what went on...

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 11:59:06 PM
Hey guys. What's going on here?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 12:14:48 AM
Erasing the past is wrong, man.  But maybe that's just what THE MAN wants you to think.  Aaaah, conundrum!

Hey guys. What's going on here?
hahaha.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 02:35:20 AM
Whatever you do, don't erase the past of the wrong man.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 02:42:25 AM
And don't wrong the man whose past was erased.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #43 on: March 31, 2011, 03:03:17 AM
And don't wrong the man whose past was erased.

BOURNE!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #44 on: March 31, 2011, 02:22:27 PM
I wonder if it would be worth just removing all these last few posts (including this one) and pretending they never happened, since people are going to be wondering what went on...

Or maybe they could all just be partially blacked out like in partially-censored government documents.  Uh oh, I've said too much.  The black-suited assassins have arrived at my door.  They are suprisingly polite. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:23:58 PM by Unblinking »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 04:42:31 PM

Or maybe they could all just be partially blacked out like in partially-censored government documents.  Uh oh, I've said too much.  The black-suited assassins have arrived at my door.  They are suprisingly polite. 

Assassins have to be polite these days, societal standards being what they are.  You don't want to be accused of being culturally insensitive or racist or anything while performing an assassination.

Corcoran

• Palmer
    • My shop-page (Only in German)
Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 07:08:04 AM
The name I normally use everywhere else is a german/english mixture (KaterMidnight) and I thought that would look silly in an englishwritten forum.
So I took the name of a fantasychar I played about 25 years ago.

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 07:05:39 PM
Its terrible terrible, I only recently added this name to my repetoire as a kind of snarky homage to all the political radio programs I've been listening to. At first I often got annoyed at them, then I started to laugh at them. Their doom and gloom is a bit heavy-handed and then I heard this comment, "I don't think you are bad people, you just like soft tyranny" and I was hooked. Why not run with that, but I can hardly claim to be tyranny, that'd be silly. Therefore the B-movie child of tyrrany is born!

robertcday

• Palmer
  • I don't need anything from you.
    • MeMyMine
Reply #48 on: April 14, 2012, 03:07:45 PM
Erm, it's my full real name, apart from a couple of spaces and the odd 'olin'. I just woke up one day and fancied being real.
Robert.

fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired"

Lone Mopper

• Extern
    • Lone Mopper Productions
Reply #49 on: April 22, 2012, 01:32:15 AM
I have spent the last 30+ years working nights, usually alone, in the cleaning industry.
Where were podcasts and mp3 players in 30 years ago?  My sanity might have still been intact.
oh well.

The Lone Mopper