Author Topic: ZARGA IV: Swamp's Revenge  (Read 23252 times)

Zathras

on: April 02, 2009, 02:49:52 PM
Alright, ZARGA IV is running now.  Submit your 3 twitter stories to me and I'll forward them to Swamp.  He won't know who wrote what.  He'll pick out 10 stories, and I'll pick one of his to add to the list.  Swamp will post a poll and the forums as a whole will pick a winner.  As usual, there will be a disc from poddisc.com as part of the prize.  Swamp scored some other swag, but I'll let him tell you about it.

PM me your stories or email them to me at TheYearIs2262@gmail.com.  Put ZARGA IV in the subject.  I'll accept submissions until April 15th.  Limit 3 entries per person.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:42:13 PM
Here's a quick recap of the rules:

Stories must be 140 characters or less.  This includes spaces and punctuation; however, you do not need to include a double space between sentences.  Titles are not allowed.  Stories can be science fiction, fantasy, or horror.

My biases: I don't care for sex or violence based stories.  It doesn't mean your stories lack merit, it just means I won't be prone to like it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:47:47 PM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:46:48 PM
My biases: I don't care for sex or violence based stories.  It doesn't mean your stories lack merit, it just means I won't be prone to like it.

I should qualify this by saying that any mention of sex or any reference to violence will NOT turn me off.  It's just making them the whole premise or purpose of the stories that I'm talking about.  For example, in a horror peice someone may die or there may be blood, but that doesn't mean it is a violence based story.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:55:53 PM by Swamp »

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:28:59 PM
I will be heading off to Shanghai, China today, but I will still be able to get the Internet and email.

So keep the stories coming.  I got a few from Zathras last week, but April 15th will get here quick.  The stories I've read so far were pretty good.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 02:02:18 PM
I will be heading off to Shanghai, China today, but I will still be able to get the Internet and email.

but unfortunately not all of your podcast feeds  :'( >:(

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 03:44:59 PM
Where are the stories?

Maybe an update will help.  So far we have only received submissions from one person, (not counting the story that Zathras will choose of mine).  So those three stories are all in the top ten.  That's good for the sole contributor, but bad for competition.

Maybe this is just how contests go: everyone holds on until the end.  Or maybe we need to sweeten the pot a bit.  The current prize package includes a free CD of your choice from poddisc.com.  That would be a collection of episodes from EscapePod, Pseudopod, PodCastle, Drabblecast, or others.  Now to me that should be enough.  Zorag (Zathras) is very generous to offer that prize. 

But wait..There's more!

I have been in touch with the editors of the Escape Artists podcasts, and have received the OK from two of them that the winning story will be read on the podcast of its corresponding genre (Fantasy story read on PodCastle, horror on Pseudopod, etc.)  I am just waiting for confirmation from EscapePod, but I suspect that will be fine for that as well.  How cool would that be?  Your micro-fiction will be read on one of your favorite podcasts!  But...it can't happen if you don't submit.  And you only have 7 days left.

And I'm sorry if I turned people away by stating my biases.  I just thought I'd be helpful and help level the field for those that didn't know my preferences.  Hey, if you've got a sexbot story or a slasher packed into 140 characters or less, send it along.  At this point we just need to fill up the top ten.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 04:00:13 PM

but unfortunately not all of your podcast feeds  :'( >:(

Yes that appears to be the case.  I will need to listen online.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 04:42:45 AM
three more on the pile, boss

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 01:27:25 PM
As part of the ZARGA stimulus package, we are issueing everyone an extension on the April 15th deadline for submissions.  We will accept your twitter stories through April 30th.

I did miss some subs that Z had PMed me, so we had more entries than I thought, and we have received a few more since, but the more the merrier.

Zathras

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 03:20:41 PM
Haven't gotten any new submissions in a while.  If I don't get anymore by tomorrow, I'll tell Swamp to post the poll.

In related news, we're still waiting on a winner for ZARGA III. 

Wait, would it be NERGA now?

Yeah, and why Newt, I coulda gotten a sponsorship deal if I was a Gecko.  Or a spot in Fallout IV...

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 05:23:57 PM
Oh I think I have a couple to contribute:)

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 05:48:43 PM
Yeah, and why Newt?

because you mostly come out at night, mostly?

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 05:38:31 PM
OK.  The submission deadline is Thursday (April 30th) at midnight.  We could use more stories.  Come join the fun.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 04:31:05 PM
The Top Ten (plus one) poll is up for you to vote on your favorite stories here.  Poll closes on May 19th.  Happy voting.  :)

Jason M

Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 03:49:47 PM
Woohoo!  I'm a paid author!  I received a check from EA for $0.01 for my micro flash. 

Envelope:  $.05
Postage:   $.47
Pay:         $.01

Being able to say you are a published author?  Priceless.   ;D

I figure it's still a slight profit for EA, since Portrait In Flesh received a disc that I purchased from www.poddisc.com.

Z

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 05:48:31 PM
^ hahaha that's awesome man! :D

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 06:20:59 PM
As promised, the winning story from the Swamp's Revenge contest will be airing on Psuedopod.  Listen for it in the Jan 1, 2010 episode.  The contest was won by Zathras/Zorag/Jason M/latest incarnation.

Zorag

• Matross
  • Well, kiss my...
    • Beef Beer And Poker
Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 11:07:49 PM
One of the proudest moments of my life, having Ben Phillips record something I've written.

Come say hi over at the Beef Beer And Poker forum.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 04:27:31 AM
:)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?