Author Topic: Copyright Questions  (Read 4324 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: February 06, 2007, 09:35:40 PM
Hey everyone.  Reading through some of the comments on one of the story's in the contest got me curious about some copyright issues.  I wanted to continue the discussion in a different forum and ask some (possibly stupid noob) questions about copyright. 

In a creative writing class, I was told that you can use the names of different established characters, movies, music, etc. in reference.  The way Kevin Smith has discussions about Star Wars and comic book characters in his movies.  They're referencing the actual thing, so it's kosher.  A hypothetical example: if I'm writing a story about superheroes that references characters in comic (as characters in comics -- they're not in the DC/Marvel universe or anything -- just the comics themselves) that isn't a problem.  Is this an accurate statement? 

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 09:57:37 PM
Hey everyone.  Reading through some of the comments on one of the story's in the contest got me curious about some copyright issues.  I wanted to continue the discussion in a different forum and ask some (possibly stupid noob) questions about copyright. 

In a creative writing class, I was told that you can use the names of different established characters, movies, music, etc. in reference.  The way Kevin Smith has discussions about Star Wars and comic book characters in his movies.  They're referencing the actual thing, so it's kosher.  A hypothetical example: if I'm writing a story about superheroes that references characters in comic (as characters in comics -- they're not in the DC/Marvel universe or anything -- just the comics themselves) that isn't a problem.  Is this an accurate statement? 

Pretty much as long as you aren't writing a story about "Superman" for example, you should be okay if you have characters discuss Superman or Superman comics. But to write a Superman adventure, or have Superman appear as a character in the story you'd need clearance from DC comics.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:48:47 PM by jrderego »

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 12:01:50 AM

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 12:07:49 AM
Ah, very cool.  Thanks for the discussion here and the link to the other discussion.