Author Topic: Pseudopod 187: Oded the Merciless  (Read 9411 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: March 26, 2010, 09:27:37 PM
Pseudopod 187: Oded the Merciless

By Tina Starr
Read by Donna Lynch of Ego Likeness
“Breedless” out on Metropolis Records Apr 13, 2010 — order one now

The voice jarred her again.

“Meluna. Your scars are not unattractive. Your missing ears are no detraction from your beauty. Your sunken left cheekbone allows an aesthetic break from symmetry as does your partially amputated nose. Your lips have been sewn into small grooves and peaks that provide sensual variety in color and texture. Your body…”

“Shut up!” She shouted the words, putting her hands over the holes where her ears had been. The movement made her tilt, off balance. She collapsed with a moan. The voice coming from everywhere like a god’s voice, saying such things to her. Obscene.

If there was a god, he’d abandoned her months ago.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 05:12:02 AM
I like the twist on the "computer asking what it means to be human" trope.  Saw it coming, but it was all the more enjoyable for that.  The reading really helped this one, I think; in text alone, the "Answer!" commands wouldn't have been nearly so deliciously monstrous.

Biggest complaint is the fact that Meluna had to carry the Idiot Ball for a while in order for the plot to happen.  He was frozen.  You can put more than one ankle-restraint on him, Mel.  You've got an implied bedroom full of bondage toys and torture implements.  Tie him down, THEN wake him up, especially if he's installed automatic pain levers on all of your bones.  I think a little more creativity could have allowed Meluna to get killed without being quite such an ardent ball-player.

Al always seems to find deeper levels in stories, even ones I don't care for.  (This isn't one of those, mind.)  Kudos to him for his skills as a host; I think he does precisely what a good host should do.  He uses the content as a jumping-off point, talks about themes or personal connections, and then tap-dances cheerfully offstage before he overshadows anything or starts preaching.  Al, you ought to write a book or something about "How to Host a Content-Driven Show."  The world needs your help.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 01:01:51 PM
The story was very vivid, though I think after a while the author ran out of descriptive terms for anger et al and it got repetitive. I did like the way she lifted the layers of horrors that had been done to the MC. However, I really wasn't expecting the "bone graft" thing and I think that could've been explored more or left out altogether. Also, I liked how Oded took over Ulrich's body and held a conversation with him (though I was primed for that because I just listened to Chris Lester's "Tears Such As Angels Weep" in which a similar thing happened).

The reader was good, though she didn't find her voice until about five minutes had passed.

Overall I did like the story, though I kept thinking it felt like a dressed-up version of an angsty high school story in a literary magazine -- not that that's bad, but that that's where it started and then as the author got more professional she updated it to make it good enough to be picked up by a publication.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

goatkeeper

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 05:32:35 AM
I could only make out about 5% of what the computer said and that kinda killed it.  I was in the car, not the best speakers, so will try again with headphones this week at the gym.   :(

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 01:52:23 PM
Al always seems to find deeper levels in stories, even ones I don't care for.  (This isn't one of those, mind.)  Kudos to him for his skills as a host; I think he does precisely what a good host should do.  He uses the content as a jumping-off point, talks about themes or personal connections, and then tap-dances cheerfully offstage before he overshadows anything or starts preaching.  Al, you ought to write a book or something about "How to Host a Content-Driven Show."  The world needs your help.

Agreed!  I love Al!  He's the Host with the Most.  :)  And he seems like a guy who'd be fun to talk to in real life, too.  Alasdair, if you're ever in Minnesota, I'll buy you a beverage of your choice.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:55:13 PM
I could only make out about 5% of what the computer said and that kinda killed it.  I was in the car, not the best speakers, so will try again with headphones this week at the gym.   :(

I found the computer voice rather hard to hear as well, and I was doing chores around the house.  If I'd been listening on my commute like usual I'm not sure how well I would've been able to hear.

The story itself, I overall liked.  A computer which maintains its orders to preserve human life by keeping her alive no matter what the consequences will be and Surging people awake again.  The question of what is human was an interesting philosophical point, deciding whether or not he had to obey orders.  The ending was chilling, and frightening, she is left to coexist as nothing more than a little clump of consciousness carried around by the beast.  Scary!

eytanz

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:07:59 PM
This is one of those stories where I change my mind every few minutes on whether I like it or not. It was effective, on a visceral level, when I listened to it. But the world-building felt flimsy and disjointed. Whenever I stopped feeling sorry for Meluna and disturbed at what happened to her, and started thinking about the story, it stopped working. I either got distracted by irrelevant questions (if Ulrich runs the prison colony, how can he spend so much time away, not only for the apparently months-long trip to Earth but also the time spent seducing at least one, if not thirteen, women?) and what seemed to be really silly SF (if most of Meluna's brain matter is missing, what exactly is doing the thinking at the end? How come she still has her personality and memory) - and especially, the rules of the story that seemed to shift on us (how come Oded gained the power to indefinitely surge someone? Yeah, it's a top-of-the-line navigational AI, but how did he manage to basically upgrade a major technology to unforseen level using one test subject? Aren't there research groups/AIs that should have gotten there first?)

And the ending - again, effective, but again, switching the rules mid-game. Oded started out as a computer whose programming makes it do horrible things, without fully understanding what it's doing. It realizes that there is a dilemma, and decides to investigate. In the process of its investigation, it learns to experience human suffering through the surged body. Fade to black. Fade back in. Now, it wants to be a real boy! And it can do things it was never programmed to in order to do so.

Note that my problem isn't that the ending didn't fit the story. It did. But it feels like the transition in Oded's goals came from nowhere, that the major shift happened off-camera.

Also, what exactly was supposed to be scary about the prison colony? Were the prisoners going to be used to inflict pain on Meluna? If so, Oded must be very confident in his ability to maintain the very first long-term surge through abuse. Or was it that he would kidnap prisoners and do the same to them? Feels less like a plot-hole, but I find it hard to believe that Meluna's anguish at the end is driven by compassion.

So yeah, an effective story, but effective in the same way that Saw V was effective - it makes you flinch, but it doesn't make sense, neither internally nor overall.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:27:59 PM
Also, what exactly was supposed to be scary about the prison colony? Were the prisoners going to be used to inflict pain on Meluna? If so, Oded must be very confident in his ability to maintain the very first long-term surge through abuse. Or was it that he would kidnap prisoners and do the same to them? Feels less like a plot-hole, but I find it hard to believe that Meluna's anguish at the end is driven by compassion.

To me the arrival at the prison colony at the end was scary, not because it was a prison colony, but because she was riding shotgun in her own mind and would be unable to do anything to stop Oded, yet forced to live through his actions as though she were perpetrating them.

eytanz

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 02:09:50 PM

To me the arrival at the prison colony at the end was scary, not because it was a prison colony, but because she was riding shotgun in her own mind and would be unable to do anything to stop Oded, yet forced to live through his actions as though she were perpetrating them.

I still don't get it. Oded could feel what she did, and control her body to some (maybe extreme) extent, but this isn't symmetrical - she can't feel everything Oded did. Her body is severly damaged - part of her brain was eaten - and she had to remain connected to the surge machine. I don't think she could leave the ship, so whatever Oded did in the prison colony, it would use its bots.

I can see the horror of her being trapped in the end. I just don't see why the prison colony was supposed to make things worse - it seems to me that it would be irrelevant at best (indeed, if I were to be editing this story, I would advise cutting it out completely. Would anything about this story have been less horrific if instead of going to a prison colony they would have just been floating forever in space?)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 07:14:45 PM
I got the impression that Oded intended to... expand his reign.  He does have the ship robots and so on.

Remember, Oded ended up concluding that he was a god.  What is a god without worshippers?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 07:28:11 PM
I give it a solid meh.  usually I don't mind body horror stories, maybe it was because it was stradling the fence on a/i and body horror, but this story didn't do much for me, I didn't go this is awful I'm not listening but still...  Oh well I still liked last weeks story when most seemed to have the opposite reaction.  each their own.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 01:48:14 PM
I still don't get it. Oded could feel what she did, and control her body to some (maybe extreme) extent, but this isn't symmetrical - she can't feel everything Oded did. Her body is severly damaged - part of her brain was eaten - and she had to remain connected to the surge machine. I don't think she could leave the ship, so whatever Oded did in the prison colony, it would use its bots.

I can see the horror of her being trapped in the end. I just don't see why the prison colony was supposed to make things worse - it seems to me that it would be irrelevant at best (indeed, if I were to be editing this story, I would advise cutting it out completely. Would anything about this story have been less horrific if instead of going to a prison colony they would have just been floating forever in space?)

I got the impression that Oded didn't need the surge machine to maintain her body anymore and that he'd be able to go out and do what he would in control of her body, with her mind riding shotgun.

eytanz

Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 02:27:59 PM
I got the impression that Oded didn't need the surge machine to maintain her body anymore and that he'd be able to go out and do what he would in control of her body, with her mind riding shotgun.

I'm not clear on how the surge machine works - the story doesn't really specify if people need to remain connected to it. But, there is explicit mention, in the end, mention of wires leading into her head; I assume that those wires aren't just dangling out of her head but that they are connected to something at the other end.

In any case, even if Oded can make her do cartwheels, I still fail to see how this makes the situation more horrific. Nothing in the story paints Meluna as overly concerned about what happens to other people - the whole story is about her concern about what has been, and is being, done to her. Earlier in the story, when she was worried about the prison colony, she was afraid about what would happen to her there. In the end of the story, the concept of "not being alone" was a comforting one - until she remembered the prisoners. If she was concerned about what Oded would make her do, why is specificially the memory of the prison colony that makes her so afraid, as opposed, say, to Oded surging some of Ultrich's previous victims?

Maybe I'm being really obtuse here, but it seems to me that the prison colony takes what is a very effective story about being unable to escape victimization, and muddles it up. If your interpretation is correct, that makes this worse as a story, as it basically means that the ending is somewhat unconnected to what came before.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 04:47:55 PM
I figured she was just looking forward to an unending series of rapes and humiliations at the hands of the prisoners, in her role as Oded's chief priestess in his new religion of subjugating humanity.  Basically, now she's going to be raped, body and mind, forever, and death can't save her anymore.

ancawonka

• Palmer
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 05:44:20 PM
I would have hated this story on Escape Pod, but it fit perfectly here.  From the very beginning, I knew that it wasn't going to end well for the main character, but I felt some empathy for her predicament anyway.  She made a common mistake made by shallow people (hooking up with a crazy sadist) and was never going to get away from it.  She wasn't smart enough to outsmart the ODED - so it was only a matter of time until something really awful happened to her.

The fact that ODED became an evil god, instead of a humane tyrant, was interesting to me.  Both Ulrich and Meluna failed to understand how their self-centered actions could possibly lead to the overthrow of humanity and domination by robot overlords - so from that perspective it was neat to observe the more and more horrible unintended consequences unfolding.

This was not one of my favorite Pseudopod stories, but it's possible I would listen to it again, just to scare whoever I might be hanging out with.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 09:05:45 PM
I would have hated this story on Escape Pod, but it fit perfectly here.  From the very beginning, I knew that it wasn't going to end well for the main character, but I felt some empathy for her predicament anyway.

I just wanted to chime in and say that my main criticism of this story was that I really didn't feel any empathy for the main character.  She was remarkably flat, her background drawn in only the vaguest terms.  There were a couple moments where she was reflecting and I felt they would have been put to good use giving us solid, concrete details about her life which would have humanized her (how ironic) in the reader/listener's mind.  Getting to know her better would have made me hurt when she hurt and genuinely feel sorry for this poor girl - but, alas, she could have been interchanged with anyone and the story would not have changed one whit.

Likewise, I want to say that I felt the premise itself was a little tired (crazed computer tortures human).  Any story using this premise is going to instinctively be stacked up against the mother of all nightmare computer stories: "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" by Harlan Ellison (which is very similar thematically and in terms of what actually happens).

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 02:43:00 PM
The fact that ODED became an evil god, instead of a humane tyrant, was interesting to me.  Both Ulrich and Meluna failed to understand how their self-centered actions could possibly lead to the overthrow of humanity and domination by robot overlords - so from that perspective it was neat to observe the more and more horrible unintended consequences unfolding.

Neither character is likeable as they are the catalysts that allow ODED to interpret humanity in a repugnant fashion. If either were more likeable/smarter/nicer folks, ODED probably would have turned out differently. I didn't feel bad for the characters. I felt bad for whatever crossed ODED's path afterwards.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”