Author Topic: going postal  (Read 3455 times)

deflective

• Hipparch
on: April 05, 2010, 09:29:56 PM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o4VlX9cMEbw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/o4VlX9cMEbw</a>

i always have mixed feelings about these

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:51:03 AM
If it's the same people who did Hogfather, I have no qualms about how well it will be done.  I just wish they'd pick... well, better books.  "Going Postal" is probably my third least favorite Discworld book.  (With the least favorite being "Eric," which was basically pointless beyond getting Rincewind back out where he can have better books, and second least being "Making Money," which was just confused, diffuse, and muddled.)

eytanz

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:28:14 AM
Heh. One of the nice things about Discworld books is that there is no real consensus about favourites - I really liked "Going Postal". But I found every single TV production of a Pratchett book to be sub-par and basically unenjoyable; they convey the plot but lose the soul.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:26:23 AM
...I found every single TV production of a Pratchett book to be sub-par and basically unenjoyable; they convey the plot but lose the soul.

Again, I believe this is because most of the humor in Pratchett's writing is in the narrative, not the dialogue.  This is why the TV and movie productions fail to bring the funny.

Adaptations of Wodehouse suffer the same problem.  I was "meh" about Jeeves and Wooster even with Fry and Laurie, but when I read the stories I'm almost weeping with laughter.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising