Author Topic: Eley's Copyright Comments: Tribute or travesty?  (Read 3684 times)

Thomas Daulton

• Matross
on: May 27, 2010, 06:50:28 PM
One of the things which really said "Escape Pod" to me in the past, was Steve Eley's habit of playing with the boilerplate copyright legalese at the end of many episodes.  He would do so in a manner which almost always contained some reference to the story that was just read.

For example, at the end of Episode 155, "Tideline", instead of reading the standard Creative Commons boilerplate -- "You may copy or share this material freely, but you are prohibited from altering it, or charging money for its use."

What Steve actually said was this:

>  >  "So you can share it all you like, but if you change it or sell it, we get out the pinpoint lasers and microwave pulse beams."

...because a robot in the story used pinpoint lasers and microwave pulse beams to kill somebody.

So now that Steve won't be narrating so much anymore, would the Escapees like to hear the new narrator(s) attempt something playfully similar from time to time?  Legalese is so boring, after all. 

Or is that simply a little personal quirk which now and forever belongs to Steve's unique repertoire?  Something that would just be a sad mockery if anyone else attempted it?

Let me know in the poll.  Of course this poll is totally nonbinding, void where prohibited, subject to refund value in California, and blah blah blah more legalese.

"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:49:08 PM
I voted Yes, because Steve was/is not the only one to play with the script, though he was/is one of the best at it.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 08:06:15 PM
Well, I am the solitary "no," but let me explain, I think maybe "abstain" is more like my point of view. I guess I just feel that people should develop their own voice and habits, rather than doing or not doing something Steve did or didn't do. So they should feel free to do it if they are so inclined, but it shouldn't be like, "well, Steve did this, so I should too!"

Anyway, that's why I voted as I did, though now I'm not sure that was entirely appropriate. I dunno.

Thomas Daulton

• Matross
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:00:56 PM
I don't think any opinion on this subject is inappropriate.  I doubt, at least I really hope not, that narrators will take anything here as an insult, or a demand for conformity.  Each narrator has their own style, but the question is strictly asking about Steve's style, so I hope nobody takes anything as a personal slight _nor_ gives up their style.

I do hope, however, that future story readers use this poll as a gage about how much "fun" or "playfulness" they can put into their reading of the non-story ("meta-") stuff;  not necessarily just to ape Steve, but more like, use this as a license/excuse for their own creativity.  Maybe I should have phrased my poll more broadly, but for now I'm sticking to the narrow question.

Maybe in the comments people can post how receptive they are when the host "hams it up" on the meta- portions of their reading.  To take another example, in Podcastle, their legalese boilerplate is always a canned recording by Rachael Swirsky; but on the other hand, Dave Thompson often spends time riffing on the story itself, and sometimes his word games extend into the totally non-story announcements.  The alternative is to leave the non-story portion dignified, but stodgy.  Where is the line between dignity and humor?  How much humor can bleed into the credits, the intro, or the outro of the episode -- or even the ads, like the Audible ads?

"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:09:28 PM
As much humor as I can fit in my CLOWN CAR!!!!! COME ON YOU GUYS!  LET'S ALL GO FOR ICE CREAM!  AND MILK AND COOKIES!  AT CARNEGIE HALL!  WHEREVER THAT MAY BE!

Aaaaand rest...

The short answer, as someone who may end up hosting the odd EP is much the same, weirdly, as how people react to stories; differently.  There's a Pseudopod episode coming up where I, as the kids say, yuck it up a little in the outro (OH GOD OH GOD WHY DID I SAY THAT NOW NO ONE WILL LAUGH) and there's another, the week after which is a hundred percent, straight up deadly serious.  It's a response to the story and, for what it's worth, I tend to modify the boiler plate slightly more on serious stories because it's a welcome tension breaker.

And we all know how effective those can be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzB36pm1yU

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 10:09:09 PM
I'm going with "Yes, it is allowable" with an echo of Talia's "don't do it just because Steve did it."