Author Topic: So here's the deal...  (Read 49751 times)

mlgw@aol.com

• Extern
Reply #100 on: May 07, 2010, 07:49:40 AM
When one has children (who do not get a say about being brought into this world,) they must be the first priority in one's life. As much as I will miss you Steve, you have made the only logical decision possible. This doesn't mean the decision was easy to make!
We all have to grow up, a constant process that lasts our entire lives if we are thoughtful, vibrant people, as you most definitely are!
Escape Pod was my introduction to the podcasting world. You got me hooked, Steve, and I will always be grateful. Thank you so much for enriching my life.
And WOW, you hooked Mur Lafferty to take the reins. I am impressed!
I hope this fact eases your mind. I, personally, think you are doing a bang-up job in ensuring the future of Escape Pod. It's all grown up and ready to move on, thanks to you.
You have my respect and admiration.
Mary Laura

Drakona

• Extern
    • I am woman, hear me ramble
Reply #101 on: May 07, 2010, 09:51:45 AM
A very impressive decision - knowing when and where to draw the line and what priorities to make are some of life's most important lessons, I think.

And: I got all teary eyed when listening to the metacast, hearing you announce that Mur Lafferty will take over after you. No one could do it better.

The bestest of luck, with everything! You will surely be missed!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #102 on: May 07, 2010, 04:03:50 PM
what What WHAT?  :o

I'm having to post from work here since my home PC is broken and I'm still working on rebuilding it, so no new podcast episodes right now.  So all I know is what gets posted here...

Mur Lafferty is taking over as EP editor and host?  Wow... the prodigal returns to the fold (something I hope to say about Eley someday, incidentally).  stePH iz teh happy.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #103 on: May 07, 2010, 04:10:42 PM
what What WHAT?  :o

I'm having to post from work here since my home PC is broken and I'm still working on rebuilding it, so no new podcast episodes right now.  So all I know is what gets posted here...

Mur Lafferty is taking over as EP editor and host?  Wow... the prodigal returns to the fold (something I hope to say about Eley someday, incidentally).  stePH iz teh happy.

I would check the blog, or the twitter feed, or the thread in Episode comments.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #104 on: May 07, 2010, 04:16:54 PM

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Mister Freign

• Extern
  • Hungry Flower
Reply #105 on: May 07, 2010, 10:02:09 PM
Sort of cools enthusiasm creating a podcast - the podcast with the most gravitas in arguably the most important and supported genre of fiction in the medium ....... doesn't float at all?  Sigh.

There's a podcast?  What's that? To what podcast are you referring?  Escape Pod? 

point being: the model hasn't supported Eley, but rather drained him - it's a labor of love that seems to offer no actual self-sustaining options sans commercial backing, which is unacceptable to me, personally.  It portends an ugly future for podcasting in general and puts a grim context around the increasing lag in podcasts in general going on, lately. 

If it wasn't for Norm Sherman I'd've given up on the idea long ago.  I'm not sure I could promote / merchandise the way he does, though.  Perhaps the Sigler / Harwood model will prove robust.  We'll see. 

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #106 on: May 07, 2010, 10:30:43 PM
Sort of cools enthusiasm creating a podcast - the podcast with the most gravitas in arguably the most important and supported genre of fiction in the medium ....... doesn't float at all?  Sigh.

There's a podcast?  What's that? To what podcast are you referring?  Escape Pod? 

point being: the model hasn't supported Eley, but rather drained him - it's a labor of love that seems to offer no actual self-sustaining options sans commercial backing, which is unacceptable to me, personally.  It portends an ugly future for podcasting in general and puts a grim context around the increasing lag in podcasts in general going on, lately. 

If it wasn't for Norm Sherman I'd've given up on the idea long ago.  I'm not sure I could promote / merchandise the way he does, though.  Perhaps the Sigler / Harwood model will prove robust.  We'll see. 

You seem to be talking about financially, which AFAIK wasn't the issue, it was more a time & energy thing, something being addressed by having several people help Mur out.

But yeah, putting out a weekly podcast largely on you own for most of 5 years is rather draining, I imagine.

I suspect commercial vs. non commercial doesnt play into it much.

eytanz

Reply #107 on: May 07, 2010, 11:46:10 PM
Well, it must play into it indirectly in that if it was making a lot of money, Steve wouldn't have had to take another job. But Steve was very clear, from the beginning, that he had no intention of making a profit. So I agree with Talia rather than Mister Freign's reading of the situation.

In any case, I thought I already posted this, but I guess I never pressed send - Welcome back, Mur! Like everyone else, I wish Steve would not have felt he had to leave, but the choice of Mur as a new editor makes me feel a lot more positive about the whole situation.

Number_6

• Extern
Reply #108 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:04 PM
Just listened to the MetaCast, congratulations on the birth of your noob. I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to this cast, and become a huge fan of it. I did in fact did pump my fist in the air (a little) and "wooted" (a little) on the announcement that Mur Lafferty would be guiding this ship in your stead. As much as I am a fan of this podcast and of you, Mr. Eley for making this happen, some of my favorite stories on this cast have been read by Ms. Lafferty. So here is to another five years (stuck on mars). Very much looking forward to it.

Much Love,

EarleyDaysYet

• Extern
Reply #109 on: May 13, 2010, 06:00:41 AM
Steve - ditto and ditto. Glad to hear you're alive, congratulations re Harper, family first. We'll miss you - y'all come visit anytime, y'hear?

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #110 on: May 13, 2010, 07:32:15 AM
You seem to be talking about financially, which AFAIK wasn't the issue, it was more a time & energy thing, something being addressed by having several people help Mur out.

Just to be clear on this particular point: Talia nails it.  Escape Artists is in the black, and pretty much always has been.  Sometimes not very in the black, and occasionally edging towards a deep burgundy which made Paul Haring (our treasurer) very nervous. But we're not running a deficit, and the business model we've been on -- mostly donations, light advertising and merchandising -- has been sustainable.

This transition was not a business decision.  It was not a sign of the Death of Science Fiction (and/or Podcasting and/or Puppies or what-have-you).  It was a Steve thing. 

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Mister Freign

• Extern
  • Hungry Flower
Reply #111 on: May 14, 2010, 09:21:50 AM
the Steve thing and the color of the ink are synonymous from this perspective.   I hear you  ( - just... [tremble] .... not for much longer...  :-[  )  - but, as shrewdly as Talia nails it in this instance, I'm wondering how much room there is in the market, what the cost of the effort would be.  Most of the podcasts I like the most disappear or spin down (thought variants, unusual / surreal format, full audio drama, complex themes, concepts not rooted in familiar or cult-ural tropes); so you can understand if I get nervous when the flagship goes quiet for that long.  I don't really pay much attention to the personal lives of the personalities - unless they're insanely spicy - and I'm pretty unrepentant about just sort of going ahead and expecting a steady feed; I listen to all the commercials and even go so far as to take 'em up on promotional offers and trying out their products - cos, you know, capitalism can be nice and keep the things I like moving along briskly if I do my part - so my eyebrow is sure to go up.  Take it as an expression of my respect for this particular feed - it's emblematic.

You know, also - Atlanta doesn't have a hell of a lot going for it.  Our strong presence on the web, in creative gaming, cons, and in podcasts is kind of special little point for me.  If Escape Pod was going to go dark, I may have been prepared to do something drastic and hook for for bandwidth or something.  It's the freaking End Times.

Mister Freign

• Extern
  • Hungry Flower
Reply #112 on: May 14, 2010, 09:34:05 AM
Weird, dude Steve, it's like you're talking to me, at the end, there.  Jeez man.  Well.  You can certainly come see the gamelan play whenever you like, on me.

vector

• Extern
Reply #113 on: May 15, 2010, 04:08:57 PM
Congratulations and thank you.  Your efforts have entertained and made me think every now and then.

I've also passed the stories to my son and his friends for a new generation of sci-fi enthusiasts.

I've three kids and once they get out of diapers you may find some extra little helpers for you hobbies.  It is all about looking towards the future!

thanks again,
-Aaron
http://www.aaronheld.com
Philadelphia

chornbe

• Extern
Reply #114 on: May 18, 2010, 06:25:56 PM
Steve, congrats on the new fatherhood, of course. I'm glad everyone's well. Kids are life-changing. Enjoy them.

Listening to the metacast, I was ready to unsubscribe. To me Steve Ely *IS* EscapePod. With the news that Mur is coming (back) onboard, I remain subscribed and a huge fan. Who doesn't love Mur's contributions to the podosphere?

Steve, you'll be missed. As I mentioned, to me, Steve Ely == Escape Pod.

You're leaving your (other) baby in good hands with Mur.

Mur... welcome (back) aboard.

More Union Dues, please!

http://thepacepodcast.com

ehlderanna

• Extern
Reply #115 on: May 29, 2010, 08:10:22 PM
Thank You Steve.

I only registered on this forum to say that.  You, Steve, have touched my life without having ever met me.  Your voice has reached out and encouraged and nurtured my love of fantasy, science fiction, and writing.  Thank you again and please enjoy your family; time passes so fast.

I will miss your voice, but I am glad for you.

Quantum Genie

• Extern
    • Quantum Genie
Reply #116 on: June 09, 2010, 10:51:15 AM
Steve

Thanks for EP and its sisters SP and PC.  I only came across them early this year and became a fan right off.  Having two small kids myself I can understand and respect your decision to go - at least for a while.

I'll miss your voice, intros and outros but you've left us all with something wonderful.  I've even found myself entering the flash story competition - and I haven't written fiction since I was a kid!

So best of luck and as they say in the 137th dimension, "Let fly the pink unicorns".

QG

Face into the sun and your shadows fall behind you.