Author Topic: Confusion, fusion....  (Read 6852 times)

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
on: April 12, 2010, 11:12:57 PM
This place is so weird. I love it! I just have no clue where to jump in. I visit every couple of days, and there are so many discussions, and everyone seems to know everyone. And I have no idea wtf is going on. It's gloriously confusing and delicious.

So, I had to start a thread just so I could get to know y'all. Then, I might be able to talk a bit and actually make sense while doing so. Yeah. That's what this is.

So... what's up, podpeople?

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:29:45 PM
Ha. There is no possible way that this thread will even approach comprehensibility.

(Hi. Not much really, in a cosmic scheme.)

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:04:13 AM
Nope, not really. I'm just having trouble working my way around the forum and figuring things out.

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:14:08 AM
Nope, not really. I'm just having trouble working my way around the forum and figuring things out.

Well, what exactly is confusing? The top subfora on the three podcast sections have comment threads for the episodes, metacast-like information is in the 'About' sections, and then there are the discussion sections for the various genres. Gallimaufry is basically the off-topic catchall.

To a certain extent you'll figure things out as you get used to things, though newer members may be better at explaining some aspects of the forum to you and other neophytes--I joined scant weeks after the forums were created in their current configuration, so I'm sure there are weird things that seem perfectly normal to me through acclimatization.

(Also, for the record, the iPad keyboard is not that hard to type on.)

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:36:36 AM
Everyone knows the forum personae, I'm sure, but that's true of any established online community.  Heck, it's even true of most fledgling online communities.

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:50:12 PM
I've got the podcasts, I know what all of those fora are for. I guess I'm just like one of those kids with a short attention span and everything is like, "Oh! Something shiny over there, too!" It's like overload.There's a lot in to take in all at once, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, as you all said. Until then, I shall just lurk and learn my way around until I have something to contribute.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:08:41 PM
Effie, this thread may be helpful for you.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:23:13 PM
I've got the podcasts, I know what all of those fora are for. I guess I'm just like one of those kids with a short attention span and everything is like, "Oh! Something shiny over there, too!" It's like overload.There's a lot in to take in all at once, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, as you all said. Until then, I shall just lurk and learn my way around until I have something to contribute.

No, I completely understand where you're coming from. Personally, I'd check the thread Swamp linked, and also the discussion thread of the last EA story you heard to get started. And then maybe, the second-to-last.

And if you've submitted (or are planning to submit) to any of the flash fiction contests, just dive on in :)

BTW, welcome!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:52:18 PM
Hello Effie and Welcome,

I joined the forums about 6 months ago, so maybe that qualifies me as a newbie??

My approach to the forums was to stick to the story discussions to start, and just lurk until I got the hang of things. Then, when I felt a bit more comfortable, I started to range into the other threads. I am still a bit shy, though, because some of the frequent posters have obviously been here a long time and seem to know each other very well.

The good news is that I have found this forum to be a very accepting and civil one (in comparison to others I have read). I have never seen blatant flames (possibly because the moderators remove them quickly). The language is generally respectful. And usually, at least one person will respond to or comment on things that you post. So, it's a nice place to hang out.

Have fun!

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 09:32:17 PM
My approach to the forums was to stick to the story discussions to start, and just lurk until I got the hang of things. Then, when I felt a bit more comfortable, I started to range into the other threads. I am still a bit shy, though, because some of the frequent posters have obviously been here a long time and seem to know each other very well.

Well, we haven't killed each other yet. Honestly though, blunder into conversations. There is nothing discussed here that couldn't use another voice in the mix.

The good news is that I have found this forum to be a very accepting and civil one (in comparison to others I have read). I have never seen blatant flames (possibly because the moderators remove them quickly). The language is generally respectful. And usually, at least one person will respond to or comment on things that you post. So, it's a nice place to hang out.

Thanks. There are a few locked threads here and there(and very few recent ones), but generally things have been good, and we don't remove egregious flames more than once every few months. It's as much a creation of the community than any attempt by us to guide it, which I know the mods are grateful for.   

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:42:54 PM

Thanks. There are a few locked threads here and there(and very few recent ones), but generally things have been good, and we don't remove egregious flames more than once every few months. It's as much a creation of the community than any attempt by us to guide it, which I know the mods are grateful for.  

Yes, generally speaking, the forum is well behaved.  I believe I have only outright deleted something someone has posted twice (one of which was last week), and I have only threatened to ban someone once, but have never actually banned someone based on comments (except for spambots, we ban them with glee).  Like Heradel said, there have been a few locked threads, but that is usually once things go off the rails, or when people will not listen to warnings of such action.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 11:44:50 PM
Effie, this thread may be helpful for you.

Yes, it was Swamp. Thank you!

And the rest of you too, of course. :) I'm liking it here. There's just a lot to look at. I'm wandering around, though, so I will get used to it. Big boards are all like this. I have to say, that it's nice to hear that they're generally non-inflammatory; I've been to a lot of writing related boards that can get ugly, quick. (As a side note, to that one mod [DKT] who mentioned the contests, I've entered for PC already. :) I write mostly horror/dark lit. fic though, so next one I'm waiting for Pseudopod's sub period) Anywho...

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm cruising along.