Author Topic: Pseudopod 192: The Radejastians  (Read 14169 times)

empathy44

• Palmer
Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 06:45:11 PM
I had to listen to this one twice. It's the sort of story where casual comments made by the characters are supposed to clue you in to what is going on.

I think, it's partly about the all gods are/aren't the same comment made at the diner. Is this a different god? An aspect of the same god? I dunno. Personally, I felt this was left vague for a reason. Maybe he was the Anti-Christ?

The character's god was a bit like their families and had come over when the time was ripe and they were able to provide for it.

The narrator didn't know about his religion and wasn't able to tell he was engaging in a ritual to incarnate the god. Victor did. He went to kill the incarnation and was instead inhabited himself. What I felt was an interesting notion was that the interaction between the women and the waitress was a ritual--that it in some way replicated part of the ritual required to incarnate the god. Her eating the pancakes with the apple face of a god was part of the process.

I thought this was also a bit of a shout out to Lovecraft's The Festival with it's reference to a lonely man going back to the place of his ancestors to take part in an ancient festival around a solstice time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:44:13 PM by empathy44 »

Nitequill

• Extern
Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 09:43:35 PM
I liked the story and the reading. The reader actually did a good job with the dialog characterizations - usuall or nearly invariably I hate dialog voice characterizations but here they were actually good. I liked the prose and very much liked the pacing. I actually could really identify with the passive and somewhat synical but not bad hearted protaganist but for the life of me I can't figure out what happened once the two guys get to the house with the scarecrow and pumkin garbage bags.

Can anyone summarize for me what is going on in this final section?

BTW this story seemed to me to be set somewhere like Chicago with Romanian immigrants.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 09:53:30 PM
I think they stumble on some sort of ritual and the one guy gets slammed into the ceiling by magic and killed.  I think.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.