Author Topic: EP Metacast 5  (Read 22410 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: May 07, 2010, 11:28:58 AM
EP Metacast 5

Apologies, Explanations, and Anouncement of new editor

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Edit: Mur posted the following on her blog this morning, it will be cross-posted at Escapepod.org momentarily.
I’ve been hinting at a seekrit project for a while now, and it’s finally public: Steve Eley, the brilliant mind behind the first podcast fiction magazine, is stepping down from Escape Pod, and I’ll be taking his place.

I’ve been involved with Escape Artists in one way or another several times in the past five years. Steve has published several of my short stories, and asked me and Ben Phillips to helm Pseudopod when it launched. I had to step down in 2007 because i had a day job and simply had to let some outside things go.

I’ve been working behind the scenes on the EP thing for a couple of weeks now, sifting through slush with some truly dedicated volunteers. We re-launch after our hiatus next week on Escape Pod’s fifth anniversary with Steve’s last podcast. Then I will take over hosting for three weeks, then we will run our traditional Hugo short story offering. July is when I’ll settle into the job fully with hosting and editing. We’ve got some new things coming up for the podcast this summer.

But never fear! The podcast is awesome because of Steve’s vision: fun SF, and I’ll never turn away from that.

I’ve got a great team helping me, and I’m very excited to see where we can steer this ship. Thanks for all the congrats that came through Twitter and email so far, it really means a lot to me that people have confidence in my ability to take this amazing podcast and keep it strong.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:45:00 PM by Heradel »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:30:06 AM
A bummer to see Steve but I'm pumped after hearing that Mur is the replacement.  The future is bright for Escape Pod.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Singels

• Extern
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:04:19 PM
 :( we'll mis you Steve, but as you said in the metacast if someone has to take over I'm very happy Mur is doing that.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:57:32 PM
Exciting news indeed. Make it a little less sad. Very much looking forward to the new EP era.

Best of luck to you Steve. Come back and say hi now and again.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 01:15:42 PM by Talia »

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:24:59 PM
  Good luck to you, Steve, we'll miss you.
  If there must be one, I can think of no better replacement.

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:30:37 PM
Yay!  I love Mur!

But...  Didn't she step down from Pseudopod a few years ago because she had too much on her plate? 

Edit:  I didn't mean that as a complaint, I'm just wondering.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 03:39:49 PM
Just for my part: There was a bit of a slush build-up (as Mur says here on her blog) that we've been working through and I wanted to take a moment and thank Scattercat and Ocicat for helping out with slush reading. I would still be buried beyond the rescue of things technomagical had they not graciously volunteered when asked.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 03:49:09 PM
Just for my part: There was a bit of a slush build-up (as Mur says here on her blog) that we've been working through and I wanted to take a moment and thank Scattercat and Ocicat for helping out with slush reading. I would still be buried beyond the rescue of things technomagical had they not graciously volunteered when asked.

Oh, crap... the story I have in the slushpile will NEVER pass Scattercat's standards.  ;D

(Nah, I'm just playing, he actually usually has great feedback on stuff I post in the crit group. So I expect a personalized rejection, dammit!)

Although that does bring up a question: if one of the slush readers has already read a story on the crit group, would it be passed to a different slush reader? Or read by the same one? I guess that's more of a meta EP question.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:52:23 PM by Listener »

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 04:08:25 PM

Oh, crap... the story I have in the slushpile will NEVER pass Scattercat's standards.  ;D

(Nah, I'm just playing, he actually usually has great feedback on stuff I post in the crit group. So I expect a personalized rejection, dammit!)

Although that does bring up a question: if one of the slush readers has already read a story on the crit group, would it be passed to a different slush reader? Or read by the same one? I guess that's more of a meta EP question.

It will likely get passed to a different slush reader, though I haven't really been cross-referencing submissions against the crit group (I should have though). Right now we're not really doing personalized rejections just due to volume, though we hope to be doing some once submissions open again in June.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 04:12:13 PM
Yay!  I love Mur!

But...  Didn't she step down from Pseudopod a few years ago because she had too much on her plate? 

Edit:  I didn't mean that as a complaint, I'm just wondering.

Yeah, but that was...2-3 years ago? A lot can happen in that amount of time. PodCastle, for example, hadn't even started when Mur left PP.

Mur's got the time to do it now, and she's going to do a kickass job of it at EP. I've got nothing but faith for the Mur!

Eliyanna Kaiser

• Matross
    • Just Another Writer
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 04:14:43 PM
Yay, Mur! Very exciting.

If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips.
-Birgitte, R. Jordan's Wheel of Time

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 06:46:39 PM
I've been excited about Mur joining ever since Heradel told me when he asked me to help with the slush pile.  It's been ... difficult not sharing my enthusiasm on the forums while waiting for the official announcement.

Really looking forward to the relaunch!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:43:16 PM
I'll have you know I was very generous in what I sent up to the next level, on the grounds that I was like a volunteer temporary slush-monkey.  When I run my own 'zine, I will crush all comers with an iron fist, you better believe it, but it's hardly my place to impose my draconian quality views and... eccentric taste on someone else's baby. 

(And if I'd gotten one from the crit group, L-dawg, I'd totally have registered a possible conflict of interest or whatnot.  No worries.  ;-) )

I enjoyed myself, though.  I'm glad I could help. 

zdbzd

• Extern
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 02:29:26 AM
I'm a long time listener, sometimes donator and now first time commenter/forum poster...  It finally seemed like the right time to come out the woodwork!

Just wanted to say that I started listening to Escape Pod a short while before Pseudopod launched.  I loved it as soon as I found it, quickly downloaded all the back episodes, and have been listening ever since.  I grew up reading short science fiction (mostly in collected editions from my local library) but had fallen out of the habit until Escape Pod reawakened me to all the great new (and old stuff I'd missed) going on.

When Pseudopod launched I was unsure about the new direction as I'd never really been a big fan of horror but I was quickly hooked to their feed too.  The same with Pod Castle - it is amazing - I never knew I liked fantasy so much!

So in conclusion thanks Steve!  I know there are lots of other wonderful people involved with making Escape Artists what it is but if it wasn't for you none of this would have happened.  Whatever your involvement with the future of Escape Pod you have birthed a truly wonderful Robot Monkey With Tentacles That Kisses Frogs and for that I am truly grateful.  I suspect I am not the only one!

goatkeeper

Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 08:14:16 AM
I'll have you know I was very generous in what I sent up to the next level, on the grounds that I was like a volunteer temporary slush-monkey.  When I run my own 'zine, I will crush all comers with an iron fist, you better believe it, but it's hardly my place to impose my draconian quality views and... eccentric taste on someone else's baby. 

(And if I'd gotten one from the crit group, L-dawg, I'd totally have registered a possible conflict of interest or whatnot.  No worries.  ;-) )

I enjoyed myself, though.  I'm glad I could help. 

scattercat is someone quite worthy of being rejected by.
honest
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:16:19 AM by goatkeeper »

mbrennan

• Matross
Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 08:34:24 AM
Many, many, MANY thanks to Steve.  I've enjoyed the Escape Pod productions in several capacities -- as an author, a reader, and a listener -- and hugely appreciate the incredible work you've put in over the years.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 04:05:06 PM
scattercat is someone quite worthy of being rejected by.
honest

And he's got a lot of rejection to go around!

(Honestly, I'd feel less like a fraud if I had even one professional sale to my name...)

</Nathan doesn't know how to handle compliments well>

internalogic

• Palmer
Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 05:13:46 PM
really gonna miss you, Steve.  You're one of a kind. 

ShayWalters

• Extern
Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 04:40:36 AM
Steve, you really should be considered to be a SuperHero yourself for having kept up production of EscapePod for so long.  I have to admit that in my role as consumer of EscapePod, I rarely thought about it beyond anticipating the next episode, but I'm sure even as difficult as I imagine it might be, I'd probably only be scratching the surface.  I want to thank you for all the great episodes to date, and also for the effort to keep EscapePod moving forward into the future.  Mur Lafferty is one of, if not the, most recognizable name(s) in the field, and I have enjoyed her Christmas stories every year.  I look forward to hearing the 5-year anniversary, and to the further episodes that Mur will host.  I wish you the best with your ongoing life, and of course, that you have fun.  :-)

k386

• Extern
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 02:43:18 PM
Had to sign up and say, well... rather type: Thanks Steve.

Escape Pod has been a real source of enjoyment to me for the two or so years I've been a subscriber. You've done such an amazing job and brought so many great stories to my ears.

Thanks for all the time and effort you've put in to make Escape Pod so great.
All the best for you and your family going forward. And I'm excited about the future of the podcast.

Again, thanks!

Garak

• Extern
Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 02:07:41 AM
Dear Steve,

Listened to metacast 5 and heard that you're leaving! Just felt compelled to write, and say thank you for all the stories, and for sharing some of your life with us all! I drive a truck at night here in the UK and it feels like Escape Pod has been like a constant companion to me, though I only discovered it about a year ago. I don't know what I did before that?

You're right though, escape pod is too big to just let it die, I'm so glad it will be carrying on. EP has re-ignited my interest in Science-Fiction, shown me that it's not dead and there are interesting new ideas out there, something that Hollywood and the mass media seems unable to grasp! It's also got me writing again and in April I published my own fanzine with the help of some friends. I owe it all to you and your magnificent podcast!

(oh and it's also got me hooked on Surf Guitar music)

All the best Steve!

Mark Cotterill. Rugby, England.

Scatcatpdx

Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 08:04:38 PM
I came to Escape Pod via Anthropometric dreams and enjoyed the shows. Escae Pod has refocused my love of Science fiction, especially looking at new authors and being amuse about so much SF talent in Portland Oregon.

Anyway thanks but I cannot give all praise. Life is not fair, when done wrong one is not remembered for all the good work but the screw-up that is left. Unfortunately, this is one of the cases. The good news you confess and trying to leave Escape   in capable hands. This leaves me in a torn state; one-part say thank you and the other coldly say your fired and good riddance.

It not just Escape Pod that bothers me but the illusion of podcasting in general, I seen to many great hopes e left abandoned by overwhelmed or bored host not to be cynical

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 09:45:40 PM
I came to Escape Pod via Anthropometric dreams and enjoyed the shows. Escae Pod has refocused my love of Science fiction, especially looking at new authors and being amuse about so much SF talent in Portland Oregon.

Anyway thanks but I cannot give all praise. Life is not fair, when done wrong one is not remembered for all the good work but the screw-up that is left. Unfortunately, this is one of the cases. The good news you confess and trying to leave Escape   in capable hands. This leaves me in a torn state; one-part say thank you and the other coldly say your fired and good riddance.

It not just Escape Pod that bothers me but the illusion of podcasting in general, I seen to many great hopes e left abandoned by overwhelmed or bored host not to be cynical

I'm afraid your frustration is assured in placing your entire faith in podcasting on life not getting in the way of people who donate hours of their time each week to bring a consistant schedule, which Escape Pod has done for I'd say 90% to 95% of the last five years.  Think of that.  Production of a podcast every single week for five years, done for the most part by one person.  Personally, I'm impressed.  I could never do that.

Still, you're not the only one who is frustrated; and we know in the last couple months, communication has been a problem.  I think that is being corrected.  We hope you stick with us through this transition and see what we have in store for you.  I'm excited!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:49:15 PM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 03:02:46 PM
I've been amazed that Steve has run it so long with so few interruptions.  When it all rests on the shoulders of one person, it's no wonder that person gets tired from time to time, especially with new family additions, and when everything in the production of the podcast hinges on his involvement, of course there will be delays in production when life intervenes.  I think both of the other EA casts have historically had more distribution of work across multiple people than EP has (co-editors, an editor separate from the host, etc..), so even if one person gets distracted for a while, there are others to pick up the slack until things settle down again.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 06:45:53 AM

Almost all podcasts are volunteer efforts.  Your criticism of me is warranted -- I could and should have done a better job these last few months -- but on podcasting in general, what's the better path?  For hosts to keep doing podcasts despite being bored or overwhelmed?  Or would you prefer that nobody start podcasting if there's a chance they'll stop some years later?

I don't take offense at your criticism.  What you choose to remember is your purview, and it doesn't affect me personally.  But I think there's an error in your perspective that's leading to a false sense of entitlement.  Podcasters as a class don't owe you anything.  The creation of content is a gift freely given.  Your listening to it is also a gift.  Neither is a binding commitment.

Hence, you can't fire me.  I own this company.  I fired myself.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine