Author Topic: Nebula Awards NYC simulcast party  (Read 3198 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: May 11, 2010, 01:45:02 PM
A gallery in Soho is hosting a viewing party/dinner for the Nebula awards. Organized by the SFWA, its apparently open to the public, and reasonably priced.

http://www.sfwa.org/registration-for-nyc-simulcast-of-nebula-reception/

Although, now I'm wondering, since I'm no kind of writer, if I'll get looked down upon for showing up even though it SEEMS to be open to the public, and now I'm all kinds of indecisive. I kind of really want to go, but also am not a fan of looking like an idiot...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:00:51 PM
If you can, and you want to, you should go.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 01:39:46 AM
If I didn't have inescapable familial obligations I'd likely be there.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 02:40:43 AM
Well, I bought a ticket. This should be an "adventure" especially since I have the social skills of a dead skunk, particularly when it comes to to total strangers.

(but how bad can it be, at least I know everyone there's a genre fan and likely reads a lot. :)).

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 03:59:46 AM
(but how bad can it be, at least I know everyone there's a genre fan and likely reads a lot. :)).

Have you ever SEEN a real nerdrage fight?  Man, just wear a helmet or something.  They'll go for the eyes.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 04:51:27 AM

Have you ever SEEN a real nerdrage fight?  Man, just wear a helmet or something.  They'll go for the eyes.

Dude, I have been to many a sci fi convention.

It is NOT a problem as long as you carry a shiny set of dice on you. Take em out, shake em around and they're hypnotized.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 05:16:25 AM
:D

I'm glad I went, although my social ineptitude bored everyone to tears. Lots of neat people there.

Conversely, the nebula broadcast was the most boring crap ever. I had to leave before even any of the awards were announced, because they had some keynote speaker who was droning on and on about I dont know what, and showing slides of toilets, and stuff that looked like mold but I wasn't sure what it was, and then talking about soap at one point. The other guests I and exchanged glances, rolled eyes and made many snarky comments. :)

Moments of zen:

Holding N.K. Jemisin's water cup for a minute.

Having Brandon Sanderson's editor practically shouting into my ear. (heh).

Meeting the (adorable & hilarious) wife of the guy who wrote 'Let Us Now Praise Awesome Dinosaurs,' which is only the best story of all time. ALL TIME.

Oh, and some marketing guy from a book publisher wants to send me some free books. That sounds like "win" to me.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:36:02 AM by Talia »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 03:18:09 AM
Oh man that is all so cool.  I want free books!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?